iOS 11 Concept Imagines Overhauled iPad Interface With Drag-and-Drop Functionality

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 19, 2017.

1. Pakaku macrumors 68000

Pakaku

The video is sooooo slow, and really makes me glad my main computer uses a mouse and keyboard shortcuts.

Apart from that, I guess it looks like something Apple would make? Certainly a lot better than those horrific iPhone mockups that keep getting more attention than deserved

2. alecgold macrumors 6502a

alecgold

Why not think of it as iOS 12, or 13, or 31. Sometime... I hope ☹️

3. Tech198 macrumors G4

Drag and drop of seems good at least. I'm more interested in the move to 64-bit in iOS 11, and the disappearance of 50% of the App Store.

4. Bacillus, May 20, 2017
    Last edited: May 20, 2017

Bacillus macrumors 6502a

Bacillus

I wouldn't dare to embarassingly disturb Tim's lunch with the blind vloggers, deaf DJ's and claustrophobic obese's, so take your bike to travel from icon to icon - as I do.
    The extra eye movement may be engineered as part of some health program (...)

5. manu chao macrumors 603

Call me old-fashioned, but I don't believe in catering only to the lowest intellect possible. This article has the words 'concept' and 'imagining' right in the title. If somebody doesn't understand the meaning of those two words, that is their problem.
    --- Post Merged, May 20, 2017 ---
    These concepts had been suggested for a long time ago already. They were already well known a year ago. This is just a visualisation.

6. cornsie macrumors newbie

cornsie

I know it's only a concept but what worries me is how the older generations will cope with a major change. For younger people the interface will still remain intuitive but that intuition will be based on previous experiences of other IOS versions. Something like this would blow my 76 year old mothers mind, it's great to have powerful new features but in some ways not having those features makes it more manageable for an older person to cope with especially if they have become used to a particular work flow that works for them. Perhaps accessibility options that can restrict the functionality of the next IOS may help keep older people engaged and in touch after all updating from a security point of view is of the upmost importance to keep them safe online.

7. Royal Gala macrumors regular

Royal Gala

Tim Cook making some time to talk to disabled people about the importance of accessibility doesn't have anything to do with app grid spacing on the iPad.

8. drumcat macrumors 6502

drumcat

They have an OS that does all of this. Until they put macOS on it, just stop buying these stupid things. iOS is designed for small devices.

9. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

It's a lot easier to do a mockup than to actually implement it. Just saying...
    The day the iPad runs macOS is the day I stop buying one.

10. Glideslope macrumors 601

Glideslope

You never know. :apple:

11. iGeek2014 macrumors 68000

Perhaps I'm alone in thinking this but these features would surely work better on iPad Pro 12.9" than they would iPad/iPad Pro 9.7".

Whilst it's highly unlikely Apple will ever implement some of these ideas it does show up IMHO the untapped potential for iPad/iOS.

12. pmau macrumors 65816

Apple needs something similar to a multi-user and home directory concept.
    I want to be able to hand over an unlocked iPad without exposing my mail, iCloud drive etc.
    if you could manage visible Apps and able would be less greedy with regards to cloud storage, this feature alone would greatly improve iOS on iPad.
    But this will never happen.

The nee filesystem could restore volume snapshots per user in an instant.
    Differences between those could be stored in the cloud.

13. ThunderSkunk macrumors 68020

ThunderSkunk

Making UI improvements? Looking at the big bicture and making fundamental functionality improvements?

No confidence.

Apple is 95% sedentary, 5% reactionary.

14. pmau macrumors 65816

Totally agree.
    Apple has not improved underlying technologies since they adapted the BSD mach kernel.
    I have to give them credet for their GPU advances and their SoC development.
    UI does not cover core functionality.
    Everything from App Containers to Sharing Sheets to Sync is based on really primitive trchnology.
    Unfortunately Apple cannot really change much because of their large install base.

15. jonnysods macrumors 601

jonnysods

I use Dropbox so the file isn't a huge deal, although being able to download stuff is pretty amazing.

I did like the springboard grid Android uses. And also changing the size and style of icons. It gave my phone is own personality. iOS is too uniform.

16. thewayfaerer macrumors newbie

Because those guys hope it is so brilliant that apple will hire them on the spot.

17. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

The "point" is that these people don't work for Apple and have concepts that they wanted to assemble into a video and share with people. It is the same "point" of those who create artistic concepts of iPhones. They have some ideas and they're supposed to sit on them because WWDC is 3 weeks away? What is the point of THAT?

Another poster asked why they didn't come out with this 6 months ago. That's a silly statement... as if artistic creativity is something that can be planned. Maybe they DID have the concept 6 months ago but spent their spare time working on the video and it took that long.

Speculation....
    Perhaps they saw what iOS 11 is going to be (minor updates) and did this as a way to "shame" Apple for not advancing iOS the way it needs.

18. ryanwarsaw macrumors 68000

ryanwarsaw

You don't seem overly excited.

19. kuropju macrumors newbie

kuropju

I love those concept videos they're very inspiring and it needs a lot of effort to do one of these. Don't get how people could complain about a person who materializes his/her visions.

20. threesixty360 macrumors regular

Please do this!!!!

i'm pretty surprised that Apple hasnt got this stuff in their next release.
    They've gone too hard trying to maintain parity with the iphone but you end up making the ipad less useful.

21. fjauma macrumors newbie

It is kind of late for iOS 11 but I think this serves as inspiration and view for what a a fullsize-tablet could be able to do, keeping things simple and beautiful. Really liked those bolder app action icons (like the compose one, trashcan...) similar to those on the new apple music app, which I personally think it is not intuitive enough and not really take advantage of the space on screen! Sam Becket sometimes does this kind of videos and I'm glad they are so well done and refined. Keep it up! And lets hope Apple will go this way and differentiate iPad from iPhone even more!

22. Stella macrumors 604

Stella

These concept videos are a complete waste of time.

If apple don't implement these ideas, which they probably won't - then it's all time wasted.

Vapour.
    I'd like that too - work and home use.

Apple won't - they want you to buy a device on a per user basis.

23. mdelvecchio macrumors 68030

mdelvecchio

That's the same drivel the mainframe guys said about PCs, the DOS guys said about the GUI, etc... You guys never quit. Meanwhile, people are doing stuff with their tools, not toys.

24. WRChris macrumors 6502a

WRChris

I would imagine the amount of sales gained from moving to macOS would far outweigh the people who want a big phone OS.

25. Naraxus macrumors 6502

Naraxus

You're right, they are doing stuff - reading, watching video, surfing the web. Meanwhile anybody, specifically professionals, who does real work has long since abandoned the iToy.