Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Just fill your iDevices up with 1gb files until you have 9.9gb of free space. That stops the automatic download. I use Golden Ears and throw 30 WAV files on my phone via iTunes. Then delete an album when I need more space. Works really well !
Installing the tvOS beta profile is a whole lot easier of a way to stop the nags. That's what I did, and it's perfect.

Applefanben

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2016
It’s going okay now on my iPad mini 4 and IPhone 7 Plus. The battery seems back to normal, at least.

Not for me unfortunately. In fact, iOS 11 and its bugs have me considering switching to the dark side, iOS and Windows 10.

P.S. I have iPhone 7 Plus, Apple Watch Series 3, MacBook Pro 2016, 5k iMac 2014, 2 Apple TV’s. You can say, I am a bit of a fanboy but this company’s buggy software has me majorly concerned about the future of the products.

tgwaste

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
And incidentally I am so very sick and tired of Apples BS self imposed bragging rights regarding the percentage of adoption. They design everything in a way to FORCE people to switch as much as they possibly can.

I have a horrible taste in my mouth for Apple these days. I HATE the management and I HATE their current direction especially with regards to software.

I know I know.. "Switch to Android". Thats easier said then done when the eco-system is so much a part of your workflow.

Applefanben

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2016
And incidentally I am so very sick and tired of Apples BS self imposed bragging rights regarding the percentage of adoption. They design everything in a way to FORCE people to switch as much as they possibly can.

I have a horrible taste in my mouth for Apple these days. I HATE the management and I HATE their current direction especially with regards to software.

I know I know.. "Switch to Android". Thats easier said then done when the eco-system is so much a part of your workflow.

This 100%

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Not for me unfortunately. In fact, iOS 11 and its bugs have me considering switching to the dark side, iOS and Windows 10.

P.S. I have iPhone 7 Plus, Apple Watch Series 3, MacBook Pro 2016, 5k iMac 2014, 2 Apple TV’s. You can say, I am a bit of a fanboy but this company’s buggy software has me majorly concerned about the future of the products.
Well I’m on the Dark Side, too. I have a new Apple Watch Series 3 but also have two Samsung watches, one of which had 4 G connectivity but I just had to turn that off in order to clear room for my Apple Watch LTE account. For me, Apple Watches are the best option for wearables. Android and Samsung watches tend to be too big for many women to wear comfortably. Men and women with larger wrists have a great option in the Gear S3 Frontier or Classic.

I have a Samsung S8+. It’s lovely but prone to lagging badly these days and the fingerprint sensor has stopped working. I can get it to stop lagging and can reregister my print but it will zip along for only about a week and goes back to this state of affairs. I’ve had better luck with my S7 and S7 Edge and HTC 10. I have one of the new Pixel 2 XLs on order. Early reports from new owners rave about the performance but there are some complaints about some units having display issues. And Zack of Jerry Rig Everything just demonstrated it will bend like an iPhone 6 or worse. However, that does not faze me as I do not intend to sit on it or chew on it or scrape it with sharp objects or do any of the things that Zack demonstrates are bad for it. I want to try that straightforward Android experience at least once. Now seems a good time because I have the Samsung and HTC versions of Android as a basis for comparison and for perspective. And because there’s no new iPhone I’m wanting to put the money to instead.

I decided not to upgrade from my 7 Plus this year because I am very happy with my 7 Plus as far as the hardware is concerned. There’s been a few times on iOS 11 that I’ve wanted to throw it at the wall, but it’s doing much better now on iOS 11-point-whatever-we-are-on-today.

Reactions: Applefanben

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Those poor people. Say, why not include the customer satisfaction graph of iOS 10 vs iOS 11 too. That would look very different.

gene731

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2015
Still regret ever updating from iOS 10
Completely agree. I know there is a round about way to go back to 10 since Apple has stopped signing ios 10.3 I have a 6 plus and it seems, to me, the battery life has just gone downhill big time. Plus all of the bugs that seem to be affecting my phone as well.

calzon65

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2008
I keep wondering if the lower adoption rate is due to Apple dropping 32 bit devices.

Certainly that could be a factor.

I'm just glad that in the 8 years I've used an iPhone I finally had the self control to not rush out an install the latest update. I was burned bad on the initial releases (yes plural) of IOS10 and was not going to make the same mistake again.

code-m

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2006
If I could go back to iOS 10 I would in a second. 11 is utterly abysmal.

So you would sacrifice security for iOS 10. I wonder if Apple will release a timely security update for iOS 10 for KRACK as it will for the upcoming iOS 11.x release.

I wonder if it’s intentional or just attributed to human resource requirements for the upcoming iOS 12 alpha development. As iOS 10 is no longer signed that is less of an incentive for Apple to support previous versions.

In any case the users on iOS 10 or prior are in a security conundrum.

Other than some minor bugs and perceived battery longevity iOS 11 has been smooth on my 7 and 2017 iPad Pro. Other than unsupported hardware due to cpu and ram requirements and non 64bit supported apps, not sure what the fuss is about.

This unsupported app developers need to get they act together and update for consumers satisfaction/loyalty.

Reactions: PR1985

petererr

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2008
"In past years, new emoji have had a noticeable impact on upgrade rates. "

How pathetic anyone would ever conclude like that.. besides those "extra" emoji shouldn't be part of the OS at all.

I need stability and performance improvement. I hope the exchange issue has been fixed.

tgwaste

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
That's really sad that emojis are what motivate people to update these days. :rolleyes:

Its unbelievable. Its truly and utterly unbelievable that apple spent 10 minutes of their keynote on EMOJIS! (sorry AniMojis).

This is crap that I should find as an afterthought when I get my new device/os.

Reactions: Beeplance

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
I'm wish I could permanently delete the uninstalled downloaded version on my phone until I'm ready to move forward. Last time I deleted an auto-downloaded OS I didn't get my space back and it auto-downloaded again.

Reactions: class77

harriska2

macrumors 68000
Mar 16, 2011
Oregon
IOS 11 has stabilized on my ipad pro since the first patch. It has always run smoothly on my iphone se except on one single morning when something went wack and the battery was dropping 10% per 30 min. I shut everything down, applied a patch, upgraded apps, and back to normal.

Just today I got in a bunch of files via email and used the file manager to stick em where I wanted them. Yesterday I applied for a job. I grabbed files off my PC using FileBrowser and into the File Manager, pulled single pages out of PDF files and saved them for upload for the job app using PDF Expert, and copy and pasted using notes. Not as smooth as it could be, especially between windows, but a super start. I really love my 12.9 pro.

uroshnor

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2015
Both happening at same time doesn't mean one caused the other.
[doublepost=1508452313][/doublepost]

All the new features added are updates to apps. Apps get updated in Android devices too. You think normal people care about a new filesystem?

Actually GPS can't and doesn't update everything. Its a pretty good solution for some high level services, but it can't address things like the KRACK exploit - that will be a kernel level fix that 80-90% of current Android devices will never see.

The other thing that GPS doesn't solve is companies building and deploying Apps internally - you can't use GPS for that, you have to use the features built in to the base OS, OR if the phone v vendor has their own software stack to address the capability (eg Samsung Knox)

So if you have say an Android build with a fundamental issue like a broken RNG so the crypto is pooched, you can't take advantage of the good TLS 1.2 implementation in GPS. You need to roll your own OS, or get a device running a base OS modern enough to get a fix. This is why for business and government use-cases where its an organisation owned device, its basically 99% iOS and Samsung, with 1% Motorola - there's no viable platform play for Android, just 3 vendors who have built their own stacks that are strong enough to be credible.

jst_testing

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2017
Some excellent features coming from iOS 11 - but battery absolutely murdered on iPhone 7. They really need to fix that asap.

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2003
UT
I told my gf to update her phone and watch (7+, S2).

The level of jank she now has is unreal. Her watch battery is toast by 8pm each day, never a problem on WatchOS 3.

Her hotspot, which she uses for call (she's an NP) doesn't work. When she turns it on and tries to connect a device, the screen janks out and moves up and down really fast, then stops (kinda like rapid graphical jittering). Never connects, so the hotspot never works now.

I know, reset and re-install a backup, but she's on call for the next week and can't risk missing a call.

I really hope Apple has a major 11.1 going out to everyone soon. Bugs galore as it stands now.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I'm wish I could permanently delete the uninstalled downloaded version on my phone until I'm ready to move forward. Last time I deleted an auto-downloaded OS I didn't get my space back and it auto-downloaded again.
Install tvOS beta profile.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Aside from wifi toggle is there a bug I should notice that is awful? I am on a 6s plus. Serious question. But maybe dont answer that because that will make me find it and convince myself ios 11 is unusable lol.

Last edited:

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
In any case the users on iOS 10 or prior are in a security conundrum.
Yup, and it sucks. I hate that Apple is making me choose between the OS version that I prefer on my device and security. They don't do it on macOS, and they shouldn't on iOS, either.

That's really sad that emojis are what motivate people to update these days. :rolleyes:
Why is it "sad"? Honestly curious. Even now, smartphones are primarily communication devices, and emoji are a pretty common method of communication. Would you find it more acceptable to be excited over a new file management app or redesigned control center?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.