Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gaximus

macrumors 68020
Oct 11, 2011
Already upgraded my 6s and mini 4. I also upgraded both on day one for every release of iOS 11 and never understood the “iOS 11 is the worst” meme, though obviously some had issues with it, like any release.

I like iOS 12, very fast on both of my devices, the mini 4 especially. Nice improvements here and there.

I have had trouble selecting text with the text selection handles, though. It seems to be impossible to grab the selector at the end of the highlighted text block, or maybe I haven’t caught on to the new way to grab it.

Use 3D Touch for selecting text, it'll change your life.

Geoko78

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2018
Dont care about the updates anymore,iphone 7 plus on ios 11.1 ,probably will stick to that until the end of its life.Everything is fine,dont want any new features or havent heard of something interesting.
Apple watch the same not gonna update it from watch os 4. Only perhaps my mac book pro.

m0sher

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2018
10% is a lot of people but if you asked how much the percentages of just McRumor members updated, it probably 99.9% already updated Lol . o_O

Last edited:

RGomezPhotos

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2014
New York City, USA
Weird -- I actually wasn't even aware it was available. I thought it was coming out next week. Well, off to upgrade...

Yes, I think if anything that was the biggest problem. There was no big splash about the release. As soon as I found out, I installed it.

It’s not as big a deal as previous releases. Which is a good thing as an OS shouldn’t have to go through major changes with every upgrade if done right at the beginning. The performance improvement is certainly noticeable on my iPad Pro. Some nice UI changes. I haven’t had anything crash or stop working so.. Excellent work Apple!

Aston441

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
Saying this another way, Apple doesn’t engage in “planned obsolescence “ as had been claimed as-nauseam.

They did. Then they got hit with 12+ class actions. They're toning it down now, probably going to settle to avoid discovery, because what secretive Apple fears most is all of their laundry aired out in open court.

Reactions: Delgibbons

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
They did. Then they got hit with 12+ class actions. They're toning it down now, probably going to settle to avoid discovery, because what secretive Apple fears most is all of their laundry aired out in open court.
They’ll probably win those 12 class actions. But we won’t know for 10 or so years. But still lawsuits aren’t indicative of proof of that. Lawsuits are indicative that people can sue.

Reactions: NetMage

brofkand

Suspended
Jun 11, 2006
MAJOR SECURITY ISSUE HERE.

I upgraded to iOS12.
Now if I receive a notification on my locked iPad Pro and click on that banner it takes me straight into my iPad without entering a passcode or touching the home button. This opens the app relating to the notification but if I then swipe up I have full access to the iPad.
Shocking security failure Apple!!!

I am unable to reproduce this on my iPhone SE or my iPad Air 2. Maybe it's specific to the iPad Pro?

gate5blues

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2007
I think the speed improvements will eventually drive everyone to update.

My iPhone 6S feels like new again.. the improvements they have made make my device feel snappier and once again take me back to my opinion that i don't really need to upgrade. This is a Sept 2015 phone. 3 years old and I feel like it does what i need it to do.

I would like to upgrade to the Xr. However, I'm feeling hopeful with the performance of iOS12 that I can last one more year.. I mean 3-4 years with a phone seems like I have received really good value!

I guess if you want the latest camera you purchase a new phone each year. It would be great if that part could be modular somehow. How much more processing power do you need in a small device form factor after the XS/R?

Reactions: iShater

Aston441

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
They’ll probably win those 12 class actions. But we won’t know for 10 or so years. But still lawsuits aren’t indicative of proof of that. Lawsuits are indicative that people can sue.

The fact that they went from refusing to replace batteries (they refused me four times), to $39 batteries to anyone who wants one immediately after state governments started sueing, lends me to believe they had their hand deep in the cookie jar.

Reactions: Delgibbons

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
The fact that they went from refusing to replace batteries (they refused me four times), to $39 batteries to anyone who wants one immediately after state governments started sueing, lends me to believe they had their hand deep in the cookie jar.
There’s no way to prove that statement, only conjecture and maybe timing as well.

Marshall73

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2015
MAJOR SECURITY ISSUE HERE.

I upgraded to iOS12.
Now if I receive a notification on my locked iPad Pro and click on that banner it takes me straight into my iPad without entering a passcode or touching the home button. This opens the app relating to the notification but if I then swipe up I have full access to the iPad.
Shocking security failure Apple!!!

Not getting this on my iPad Pro, It prompts for Touch ID When I try to open any notifications. You didn’t wake the iPad by pressing the home button did you?

Last edited:

PastaPrimav

Suspended
Nov 6, 2017
Apple's newest operating system, iOS 12, is installed on just over 10 percent of devices 48 hours after it launched according to data collected by analytics company Mixpanel. The data suggests customers are adopting iOS 12 at a slower rate than iOS 11 and iOS 10.

Last year, iOS 11 was installed on 10 percent of devices just 24 hours after launching, and in 2016, iOS 10 was installed on 14.45 percent of devices within 24 hours.

HOW is it possible that, without fail, you post this same garbage article every year with the same “perspective”, and completely fail to acknowledge or even comprehend that the number of devices has grown by some 200 million since the last time you considered this data? The percentage rates are not even remotely comparable year over year in the way you always, always do. It’s infuriating.

Reactions: AnthonyG6

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
I just updated my iPad mini 4 to iOS 12. It needed the performance boost the most of all of my devices and so far it appears to be running better than it was before with 11.4.1. The first thing that jumped out at me after updating was the status bar at the top has changed. The time has shifted to the left, the date has been added and is just to the right of the time. There’s nothing in the center and the WiFi indicator has shifted to the right side. In other words, it looks similar now to the top status bar on my X. Could it be in preparation for an upcoming iPad with a notch or just to keep the iPad status bar visually consistent with iPhones?

MoreRumors?

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2018
I updated on my i6 since I have nothing to lose. So far I do not notice any improvement on performance and the battery but it seems those who have the i6S and more recent ones saw improvements on theirs. The only thing I noticed was my Bluetooth icon no longer appears when I turned it on.

MoreRumors?

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2018
I'm waiting to hear from someone who installed this on an iPhone 5s as IOS 11 was a complete disaster for mine that I'm still aggravated and wish I could go back to IOS 10. :(
I have a 5S and updated that and used it for a very short time. I did not notice improvement in performance or any issue, however, it is too short of time to give more feedback. I am not sure how many member here still have the 5S so the feedback may be too few and far in between.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Best update in terms of performance I think I've ever experienced from Apple. And I don't say this lightly. Had they done nothing in terms of feature changes this would still be the best update I've experienced. Notification changes are the biggest daily use change I've seen(after performance increases of course).

Reactions: HarryWild

Lozza013

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2017
Melbourne Australia
Updated my iPhone 7 on launch day and all of the rest of my family's devices, they are running much better on iOS 12 than what they did on iOS 11 although we never encounted any significant problems.

cgaw23

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2015
I forgot it was out and didn’t update until this morning. Took about 30 minutes to update my iPhone X.

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
Exactly. From my anecdotal chats with friends, they were pretty disappointed with how iOS 11.0 ran. Ars Technica's data backs this conclusion up. iOS 11.0 was a bad upgrade for "day to day usage" on most iPhones.

kfi9UNt.png

If you went iOS 10.3.3 to iOS 11, you were in for a bad time. Notes took 33% longer to open. Safari took 25% longer to open. Mail took 28% longer to open.

Apple has no one but themselves to blame for a below-average iOS 12 uptake. iOS 11 was awarded Apple's "We are proud to stand behind this software" moniker. You--without question--immediately lost a lot of hard-won goodwill, Tim Cook.

It'll take ordinary consumers a significant amount of time to "regain trust", which will happen more by word of mouth than another 'iOS 12 is super fast!" YouTube video.
I think I'll stay on iOS 10 on my 7+. About the same speed or faster.

MoreRumors?

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2018
iOS 12’s success might take a dent out of sales because you can say it reinvigorated some older models.
Well, so far it did not invigorate my i6 but as long as there are no issue(s), I can take my time in choosing when to upgrade to a new iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.