Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phillytim

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 12, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Whew - iOS releases have gotten to be quite a nail-biter time of year for me with my ol' macOS 10.13 High Sierra!

Glad to see those of us with macOS 10.11+ still have the ability to backup our phones with the shiny new iOS version.

1662984190246.png

Project 2501

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2022
I know what you mean! I remember when I upgraded to iOS 10 (?) and it stopped being recognized by iTunes. My computer was too old the run the latest iTunes. I had to use a workplace computer to downgrade; I was really nervous, because I upgraded late, so the window for Apple to sign the old IPSW was closing fast. I went to work on the weekend just so I can downgrade ASAP. I wished they would have given me a warning! I updated via iTunes, so I thought that it would at least tell me it won't work with the iOS I was installing.

Anyway, I can't figure out where you found this information. When I type "iOS 16 System Requirements" in Apple's search box, I get only a new feature list. I'd like to keep this page bookmarked for future udpates.

Last edited:

phillytim

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 12, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Anyway, I can't figure out where you found this information. When I type "iOS 16 System Requirements" in Apple's search box, I get only a new feature list. I'd like to keep this page bookmarked for future udpates.

When Apple puts the newest iPhones on its website, just click on one of them and then choose "Tech Specs" ... down the list will be "System Requirements", which is the screencap that I posted yesterday.

Such as from the iPhone 14 Pro, for example: https://www.apple.com/iphone-14-pro/specs/

It does seem more natural to expect to find this information in the iOS requirements, but it is actually listed in the Tech Specs of the new phones.

Reactions: MacMind.com

Frantisekj

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2017
Deep inside Europe :-)
Whew - iOS releases have gotten to be quite a nail-biter time of year for me with my ol' macOS 10.13 High Sierra!

Glad to see those of us with macOS 10.11+ still have the ability to backup our phones with the shiny new iOS version.

View attachment 2058673
Kudos to all guys working on supporting old HW with new OSes. Happily can use Catalina on 2009 MBP and take advantage of iOS 16 syncing. :)

Reactions: phillytim

rin67630

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2022
Man! Am I happy to own an iPhone 6s that can't upgrade to iOS16!
:p
Maybe there is a market for newe iPhones devices NOT upgraded?

Mark-SD

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2023
I'm running macOS Monterey. According to the Apple iPadOS User's Guide for iPadOS 16, it's only supposed to require macOS 10.15 or later. However Monterey is telling me that I need to do a software update.

The only update I can see is to Ventura which I don't want to do since I don't have the horsepower for it. The update messages only says Learn More, Cancel or Install Now with now mention of what the update is exactly.

Could this just be an update to some system files and not a full upgrade to Ventura?

Dylan33x

macrumors regular
May 21, 2021
I'm running macOS Monterey. According to the Apple iPadOS User's Guide for iPadOS 16, it's only supposed to require macOS 10.15 or later. However Monterey is telling me that I need to do a software update.

The only update I can see is to Ventura which I don't want to do since I don't have the horsepower for it. The update messages only says Learn More, Cancel or Install Now with now mention of what the update is exactly.

Could this just be an update to some system files and not a full upgrade to Ventura?
Does it pop up with a software update dialog with an option to install?

It should be a dialog seperate from system settings. I see this basically anytime I connect a type of device to my Mac that I haven’t before (iPad, iPhone, iPad mini). Just hit update and give it a moment. It’s not the same as a system OS update. It’s more of a compatibility one.

Mr_Brightside_@

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2005
Toronto

This is a minor update to sync with iOS. It’s not Ventura.

Reactions: Mark-SD
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.