Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jon86

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2008
Lucky you. I'm in the UK and the areas where I got full 3G signal on my iPhone 3GS I now get GPRS on iPhone 4! Not even edge! Not happy.

That's interesting. I was using my friend's iPhone 4 outside yesterday and no matter how I held it, the phone just couldn't get anything beyond GPRS, even with full signal. However, when I placed the phone on a table (and didn't touch it), it got 3G very quickly. I picked up the phone again and it went back to GPRS. I doubt that's coincidence as it's very easy to replicate.

commander.data

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2006
Maybe Apple's conference tomorrow is more to demonstrate their "fix" or why the antenna issue isn't an issue and the real meat will be availability of the White iPhone 4 and announcement of a T-Mobile or Verizon iPhone 4? Some may imply that the later would be the real solution to iPhone 4 reception problems.

In any case, the Friday press conference effectively distracts from today's Samsung Vibrant launch on T-Mobile.

Roamerick

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2003
It is an issue - at home I got the results below (3rd time of posting so apologies to those that have seen it), if you look I had 5 bars of signal to start, phone on desk - second test was phone on desk (not moved) with one fingertip pressed lightly over the black band for about 10 seconds before starting test - this is less pressure than I put on the phone than when it's simply in my left hand for browsing internet with right index finger. So people can deny all they like because they don't experience an issue but it is definitely real for some of us.

(I would post a video but can't video the phone with the phone if you get my meaning)

d7b80ba9.jpg

7c3daf57.jpg

I SINCERELY doubt this can be done with any other smart phone by simply touching (not death-crush-gorilla-gripping) the external case.

While your observation is correct, you forget the fact that the 5 bars you're seeing are themselves a misrepresentation of the actual signal strength - an issue which Apple is supposedly rectifying in the 4.0.1 update. You may be already in a weak signal area, meaning the added attenuation of your strategically-placed finger can topple your potentially borderline 3G reception into EDGE, leading to the observed cataclysmic effect on data rates.

I'd be very keen to see this test repeated in precisely the same format once the 4.0.1 update, and its supposedly more truthful signal strength display, is applied. Also, if you take a look at the videos in the link I included, you will see the same issue affecting the N1 and G1 with a fairly natural hand grip.

Tonewheel

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

Why does anyone assume that Steve Jobs will be participating in this press conference?

Jimrod

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
While your observation is correct, you forget the fact that the 5 bars you're seeing are themselves a misrepresentation of the actual signal strength - an issue which Apple is supposedly rectifying in the 4.0.1 update. You may be already in a weak signal area, meaning the added attenuation of your strategically-placed finger can topple your potentially borderline 3G reception into EDGE, leading to the observed cataclysmic effect on data rates.

I'd be very keen to see this test repeated in precisely the same format once the 4.0.1 update, and its supposedly more truthful signal strength display, is applied. Also, if you take a look at the videos in the link I included, you will see the same issue affecting the N1 and G1 with a fairly natural hand grip.

I'll give it another go after the iOS update - the signal in my house is definitely on the weak side to start, I've resorted to turning off 3G because I get 1 or 2 bars on the iP4 in my living room and it eats the battery (my old iPhone 3G which my girlfriend has, for comparison, oddly shows 3-5 bars in same location! Both phones led next to each other). When I did the tests I used a room at the other side of the house, all of 30 feet away, when I got 5 bars so I'd definitely say they were at the low end of the scale. What concerns me is the cessation of internet use altogether just by touching the corner - it wasn't gradual over 30 seconds or so, it happens as soon as I touch the phone, which seems like there's definitely something more serious than signal display going on.

deus_ex_machina

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2005
Tejas
It may be possible to work around the hardware issue using software - if the update includes new modem firmware than this is quite likely. Fortunately Steve Jobs employs people smarter than you who can think these things through. Remember the Pentium processor that couldn't do floating point math properly? It was "fixed" in software.

I for one hope the update fixes Safaris incredible instability, I've had more crashes since iOS 4 than I ever had previously. At least Cookie Dozer runs okay...

Wasn't that in 1993? I remember them recalling the defective processors. It was a nightmare like this though.

Ubuntu

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2005
UK/US
Define "somewhat curious."

Why is it curious that a software / OS update would come at this point in time?

It seems to me that Snow Leopard had an update fairly soon after it was released.

Following the decision by Consumer Reports to rate this iPhone a Don't Buy * when everything else was positive / above average, every news outlet is giving Apple an F. What they should be doing is giving an F to the Swiss decision to ignore the legal status of Roman Polanski in the U.S.

*I find it humorous the way CR states this –

the iPhone 4's signal-strength issues were largely an optical illusion caused by faulty software that "mistakenly displays 2 more bars than it should for a given signal strength."

optical illusion ?

And considering the discussion about the iPhone's antenna, why didn't CR test the reception / transmission with a case / bumper before releasing its non-recommendation?

Its curious because the press release is tomorrow, not because its a recent update. Its nothing new for a new product to have a software update shortly after release - Apple is good at that.

And as far as I know CR simply tests the phone as it is and sees the defect. They don't experiment with cases for comparison as they have decided there is a defect regardless.

Clown Boy

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2008
Maybe Apple's conference tomorrow is more to demonstrate their "fix" or why the antenna issue isn't an issue and the real meat will be availability of the White iPhone 4 and announcement of a T-Mobile or Verizon iPhone 4? Some may imply that the later would be the real solution to iPhone 4 reception problems.

In any case, the Friday press conference effectively distracts from today's Samsung Vibrant launch on T-Mobile.

So may imply, but ALL would be wrong. So is it that forum members think the world stops and starts with America?

Here in the UK we have 3 or 4 very good 3G networks, there are reports of issues with the iPhone 4 on ALL of these networks. What has that got to do with American service providers?

Personally I couldn't give a f * c k about AT&T, Verizon or whatever, I just want a phone that works when I use it normally.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I was thinking that this would be the logical thing to do. Then they can gloat about it. Although it does seem more likely that if the release is today, then it has to do something to fix something for real, right? Otherwise people will give them hell for it tomorrow!

It also seems likely that the 4.0.1 code branch is separate from 4.1, as 4.1 was planned in the works for quite some time, and the dev release was pushed out on schedule. It might not include every fix in 4.0.1? But it does seem odd that they addressed some of the issues in 4.1. I guess nobody will really know until something comes out or Friday, whichever is sooner! I'm just surprised to see 4.1 betas so early. Did they come out this early last year? Doesn't the x.1 update usually come around the same time as the new iPod Touch models for the current year? Then we should expect 4.2 a month or two later for iPad? I keep double clicking the home button on my iPad and wondering why I have to swipe through so many pages. It's amazing how quickly I've adapted to iOS 4 usage. Hope that delay brings us some printing and a better file system. Gah! When will it end?

It is an issue - at home I got the results below (3rd time of posting so apologies to those that have seen it), if you look I had 5 bars of signal to start, phone on desk - second test was phone on desk (not moved) with one fingertip pressed lightly over the black band for about 10 seconds before starting test - this is less pressure than I put on the phone than when it's simply in my left hand for browsing internet with right index finger. So people can deny all they like because they don't experience an issue but it is definitely real for some of us.

(I would post a video but can't video the phone with the phone if you get my meaning)

I SINCERELY doubt this can be done with any other smart phone by simply touching (not death-crush-gorilla-gripping) the external case.

I had the same exact thing happen to me in Atchison, KS. I could lightly touch, with one finger, and the speeds went into the crapper. Sometimes they would disappear completely, but often times it looked just like your result on EDGE with a low download and NO upload. That's with AT&T 1/3 across the world. Seems too coincidental.

My other problem in this area was when I'd pull my phone out of my pocket, the phone would do the same thing and drop to low bar EDGE or no bars at all. It would quickly recover after removing from pocket, and this is with a bumper on!

Lastly, in the SE corner of Springfield, MO, I can drop 3 bars using a normal texting grip WITH a bumper on! Takes forever just to send text emails. I suspect there is more to it than the bumper blocking the gap, but it helps a bit.

Fenir

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
I have three succinct points to make on the issue:

1 I can easily replicate the visual drop of signal bars in a weak signal area by putting a finger over the 'death spot' for long enough.

2 Said drop has never led to a 'No Signal' situation, or dropped a call. So, practically, it has not affected me beyond being able to visually manipulate how many bars are on my iPhone 4's screen.

3 The unprecedented hype does not represent an unprecedented issue. Here is a nice collection of videos of major smartphones doing the EXACT SAME THING as the iPhone 4. Where was the press outrage then?

Time for a reality check people. This is neither new nor critical.

Except when I do this, I can't get any data transmission. Any. Zero. Which means if I'm not on wifi, I have to set the phone down, and wait 20 seconds and reload.

I haven't yet had any dropped phone calls. I have had my ear somehow hit the mute and hold button several times, and a front camera that will not work at all, causing my phone to freeze even after a clean restore - which means no facetime, unless other people want to see a black screen.

While I'm still here, bring 3G service to Kalamazoo and maybe I could load those web pages a little faster.

Thx.

AnalyzeThis

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2007
Signal indicator is very dengerous damble for Apple...

If Apple would just hack their signal meter to mask the issue and issue is real. Apple may end up with even more damaging outcome, because of everyone will start complaining that signal is too low on iP4 when compared with other 3G phones. To me, it looks like a gambit for Apple. If alleged design defect is real there will be no other way out of this mess but to fix it (recall).

Rajani Isa

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2010
Rogue Valley, Oregon
It used the standard Apple upgrade procedure. If that doesn't work, then it is one more thing Apple needs to fix with the 4.x.y update.

From what I've seen of the Apple update process it looks more like a complete reinstall with the software being reflashed, the apps being installed back in (you can actually see each app being installed by iTunes), and finally the data being restored. Heck, why else would it take 2-3 hours?

That's how itunes works, too (for Windows, anyway, it seems) - I know I have to re-drag shortcuts around since I've yet to make one that goes to a location and instead use the one it install with each update - invalidating the one before it.

Master Chief

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2009
It is an issue...

The solution to this problem is called a mirror :p

Now show us any other phone with the antenna system on the outside of the phone as in; you are comparing apples with oranges.

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
If they do release a firmware update today, that would probably be the fix for the Proximity sensor and probably other adjustments. I'm guessing many dropped calls are actual hang-ups. I know my iPhone4 has hung up on people while in my shirt pocket... seems to bounce against my chest and hits the "hang up" button. A proximity sensor error.

The Press Conference I'm sure will be about the antenna issue and I'm still guessing they are going to offer an exchange program for people with issues.

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
If Apple would just hack their signal meter to mask the issue and issue is real. Apple may end up with even more damaging outcome, because of everyone will start complaining that signal is too low on iP4 when compared with other 3G phones. To me, it looks like a gambit for Apple. If alleged design defect is real there will be no other way out of this mess but to fix it (recall).

I can no longer make my phone go in to searching mode with ios4.1. It will drop to one bar, but I can make calls without issue. I have yet to have dropped call with ip4.

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA

If it's is design flaw is due to the external antenna, I'm sure they will recall it for a design change. The iPhone is too important of a product to just duct tape a solution for it. It affects too many customers and would really tarnish their image if they don't address it head on. I'm guessing they will take the financial hit and do it if that's what's needed... They have the cash to do it and it means so much for the future.

jamespa66

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2007
Kenosha, WI

The bars don't matter, look at his screen shots, not touching "death spot" much faster down/upload speeds. People are all hung up on the the bars when the proof is being shown right in front of you in the network throughput
speed.

ortuno2k

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2005
Hollywood, FL
I hope it fixes the slugishness on iPhone 3G, especially when unlocking it, answering a call, and using iBooks app.
At first the OS seemed fast and responsive, but now I'm having doubts on whether I should have upgraded or not... oh well.

Loonytik

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2008
While your observation is correct, you forget the fact that the 5 bars you're seeing are themselves a misrepresentation of the actual signal strength....

Explain this.....

In my office where my old iphone 3G and all of the blackberry's and other phones receive 5 full bars of signal(along with my iphone 4 at the moment) I death grip the phone and go from 5 bars to 1 and drop calls. Based on your logic EVERY phone in my office is displaying signal strength incorrectly no matter the manufacturer of the phone. Really? REALLY??

So, the iphone 4 is the magical, all knowing signal strength wizard? All those other phones have no idea what the signal strength is huh?

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
So, just to make sure, we aren't going along with this theory, anymore?

The fix is expected to address a issue in iOS 4 related to radio frequency calibration of the baseband. Readers who saw the original forum discussions say that the issue is believed to occur when switching frequencies; because the lag is allegedly not calibrated correctly, it results in the device reporting "no service" rather than switching to the frequency with the best signal to noise ratio.

iOS 4 introduced some enhancements to how the baseband selects which frequencies to use, so it makes sense that the error may have crept into those changes. Additionally, this explains why iOS 4 has also caused similar problems for iPhone 3GS users.

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
I hope it fixes the slugishness on iPhone 3G, especially when unlocking it, answering a call, and the using iBooks app.
At first the OS seemed fast and responsive, but now I'm having doubts on whether I should have upgraded or not... oh well.

I only had iOS4 one day on my 3Gs and found it to be sluggish too. On iPhone4 is wicked fast. I'm assuming due to time frames to hit the launch date, Apple had to rush the delivery... I would expect some performance enhancements to come soon. iOS4 was mildly annoying on the 3Gs phone.

definitive

macrumors 68020
Aug 4, 2008
i'm gonna laugh if they release 4.0.1, it doesn't fix the death grip issue (which it obviously won't), and then steve comes out tomorrow saying "all has been fixed."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.