Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tonewheel

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2007
i'm gonna laugh if they release 4.0.1, it doesn't fix the death grip issue (which it obviously won't), and then steve comes out tomorrow saying "all has been fixed."

Why do you assume that Steve Jobs will be at the press conference?

Master Chief

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2009
Explain this.....

In my office where my old iphone 3G and all of the blackberry's and other phones receive 5 full bars of signal(along with my iphone 4 at the moment) I death grip the phone and go from 5 bars to 1 and drop calls. Based on your logic EVERY phone in my office is displaying signal strength incorrectly no matter the manufacturer of the phone. Really? REALLY??

So, the iphone 4 is the magical, all knowing signal strength wizard? All those other phones have no idea what the signal strength is huh?
You appear to have missed one important part of Apple's explanation which reads:

"...we are adopting AT&T’s recently recommended formula for calculating how many bars to display for a given signal strength..."

In other words; if other vendors are (still) using an older/different formula in their firmware then yes, they are not showing what they are supposed to show. At least not for AT&T's network.

Jack Dangers

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2007
This doesn't look like a death grip to me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deCkjeHYT-g

Oh, it's not an iPhone 4...

The video was posted in January... guess it isn't news if it isn't iphone.

Exactly. My Nexus behaved similarly, but never to the extent of dropping to edge. But for some reason the iPhone is getting beat up for similar behavior.

I have a feeling that tomorrow there will be no recall, no free bumpers, just a panel of experts explaining this is normal cell phone behavior and most likely demonstrations proving that point.
Seriously, if this issue was that bad, why aren't there people lining up at the apple stores returning this phone? It makes no sense. To me it's just the nature of todays 24hr news cycle who quote blogs (without doing their due diligence) to make sure they get a story out. Also combine this with a slow news cycle, and there you go - Matt Lauer is reporting on how the iPhone is trash.

But who knows, I could be wrong. We could hear "Free bumpers for all!" on Friday.

Roamerick

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2003
Tested the iPhone 4 reception issue

OK, I got sick of taking everyone's word on the death grip issue and carried out my own test. I repeated said test five times with and five toimes without the death spot being touched, so I could try and average out any fluctuations. And boy, were there fluctuations.

The results did surprise me. BIG drop in bars, but relatively small drop in data rates. Interestingly, while I was testing the fluctuations in data rates alone (without anything touching the death spot) were far greater than any caused by purposefully touching the death spot. This shows to me that not only are these tests incredibly inaccurate, but that even once things are averaged out, the so-called 'death spot' is not that big a deal after all, unless you happen to be in a really borderline 3G reception area.

Your results may vary. Check it out for yourself if you're interested.

IMG

Clown Boy

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2008
Why do people constantly defend Apple?

My phone is f*cked, that is all the proof I need to know its not doing what I paid for.

I don't care about bars displayed, AT&T, American networks, Speedtests, $40 bumper cases, iPads, 3GS's, Polo Shirts, Software Updates, John Gruber, Gizmondo, Verizon, Consumer report, Fanboiz...

Just give me a phone that works...PLEASE...

hugguh

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2010
Exactly. My Nexus behaved similarly, but never to the extent of dropping to edge. But for some reason the iPhone is getting beat up for similar behavior.

I have a feeling that tomorrow there will be no recall, no free bumpers, just a panel of experts explaining this is normal cell phone behavior and most likely demonstrations proving that point.
Seriously, if this issue was that bad, why aren't there people lining up at the apple stores returning this phone? It makes no sense. To me it's just the nature of todays 24hr news cycle who quote blogs (without doing their due diligence) to make sure they get a story out. Also combine this with a slow news cycle, and there you go - Matt Lauer is reporting on how the iPhone is trash.

But who knows, I could be wrong. We could hear "Free bumpers for all!" on Friday.

But nobody cares about the free bumpers. If there is a real problem they have to fix it, not give bumpers. What's the point of having a stylish new phone with a metallic band all around it, if I have to cover it with rubber ?

I don't want ant Bumper for free I don't care. I want the iPhone 4 to do what is meant to do.

JediZenMaster

Suspended
Mar 28, 2010
Seattle

My phone is f*cked, that is all the proof I need to know its not doing what I paid for.

I'm not defending apple because they haven't done anything to me. My phone works and it sucks that yours is having issues. But your problems aren't going to make me hate apple.

Because simply it's not effecting my experience. There seems to be an attitude lately that just because some people are having issues. That everyone should just attack apple. I'm not. Your experience with apple doesn't change how i feel.

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2009
San Clemente, CA USA
Explain this.....

In my office where my old iphone 3G and all of the blackberry's and other phones receive 5 full bars of signal(along with my iphone 4 at the moment) I death grip the phone and go from 5 bars to 1 and drop calls. Based on your logic EVERY phone in my office is displaying signal strength incorrectly no matter the manufacturer of the phone. Really? REALLY??

So, the iphone 4 is the magical, all knowing signal strength wizard? All those other phones have no idea what the signal strength is huh?

Video or it didn't happen.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Hopefully this means that iphone-dev will be able to release the Jailbreak soon that is rumored to be completed and waiting for the update. So that I can jailbreak and unlock the 3GS that already had iOS 4 installed when bought.

I could actually care less about jailbreaking as all the apps I want are in the app store. I just want to unlock and save $600 a year with a TMobile family plan. 3G service limited to 2GB a month is not worth the extra $600 especially when TMobile EDGE network is unlimited and cheaper.

joneill55

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
Unless you're a stickler for seeing the bars displayed more clearly this is a worthless update. The fact is you are still going to be experiencing the exact same dead zone phenomenon as before.

Don't upgrade Sherlock. Pretty simple solution if you feel that strongly about it!

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
It may be possible to work around the hardware issue using software - if the update includes new modem firmware than this is quite likely. Fortunately Steve Jobs employs people smarter than you who can think these things through. Remember the Pentium processor that couldn't do floating point math properly? It was "fixed" in software.

That is different in that software would call the instruction with the bug and since userland can't talk to hardware, user software calling said instruction would first pass through the kernel where the kernel could contain code to reformat the instruction into one that isn't bugged or take the result from the processor and apply a corrective algorithm to it.

The difference here is signal is received by the antenna and passed through a hardware sort of DSP or ADC (Analog-Digital Converter). There is no software intercept until late into the radio stack. So there's no place to correct the signal in software because what the software receives is the already garbled digital information.

WhySoSerious

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
Dallas, TX

I don't care about bars displayed, AT&T, American networks, Speedtests, $40 bumper cases, iPads, 3GS's, Polo Shirts, Software Updates, John Gruber, Gizmondo, Verizon, Consumer report, Fanboiz...

+1, amen.

this is all that matters. give me a damn phone that works as a damn PHONE! apple says the iphone is a phone, so make it work like a phone!

jgtthd

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2010
So may imply, but ALL would be wrong. So is it that forum members think the world stops and starts with America?

Here in the UK we have 3 or 4 very good 3G networks, there are reports of issues with the iPhone 4 on ALL of these networks. What has that got to do with American service providers?

Personally I couldn't give a f * c k about AT&T, Verizon or whatever, I just want a phone that works when I use it normally.

i am on o2-uk and agree 100% with the above. nothing to do with the usa or at+t. we have a few 3g networks in the uk and all iphone 4's are having the same issues over here with reception

BigBagaroo

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2009
+1, amen.

this is all that matters. give me a damn phone that works as a damn PHONE! apple says the iphone is a phone, so make it work like a phone!

It is like the forum ****tards posting when the iMacs with yellow screens started showing up (which I had the pleasure of returning twice before giving up):

"No, it is not an issue, you are wrong. It is all in your head", "You are viewing the screen at an odd angle", and "It is normal to have small imperfections on a screen."

This was about a computer with the "Ultimate display". Almost 1/4 of the screen is yellowish, and they post crap like that.

The same company sells a phone that does not have a good antenna, or issues with the reception. (Or a ****ed device driver, or whatever). It still is embarassing that a phone sucks at, you know, calling people.

Well, wow, the same bunch is at it again.

Roamerick

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2003
i am on o2-uk and agree 100% with the above. nothing to do with the usa or at+t. we have a few 3g networks in the uk and all iphone 4's are having the same issues over here with reception

No, they are not. Some, I'm sure. All? No. I'm on O2 and as you can see my issues are minimal to none.

aughsum

May 6, 2010
Perhaps this is so Steve can say 'Problem Solved' tomorrow!

That would be amazing... No hardware issues, everything resolved by software..

"The iPhone 4, to date has sold over x million units, our most successful product launch ever. etc etc etc...

There have been reports of some early-adopter issues regarding reception, as well as the proximity sensor; With the release of iOS 4.1, all of the iPhone's supposed "hardware" issues have been resolved, solidifying the iPhone 4's claim as the best smartphone on the planet.

Oh, and one more thing. The next-generation Apple-TV is coming next month, at an unbelievable price of $99."

Something like this.. Gloat, Pwn, Dazzle..

aughsum

May 6, 2010

return it and buy a phone that works??

SeniorGato1

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2010
Unless you're a stickler for seeing the bars displayed more clearly this is a worthless update. The fact is you are still going to be experiencing the exact same dead zone phenomenon as before.

Actually this update should help a little. Currently you don't know exactly whether you have 3 bars or 5 because the phone displays 5.

With 4.0.1, you should know the exact bar strength and with this knowledge should be able to know when you really have low signal and take caution in handling your phone to reduce dropped calls.

If anything 4.0.1 is like a band-aid to a broken leg.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
+1. There comes a point where you have to be smart about it, cut your losses and move on.

The problem is the losses. AppStore apps are a form of lock-in, and if you have a lot invested in the App Store, you might not want to move off the iPhone platform. Since you sold your iPhone 3G or 3GS prior to purchasing an iPhone 4, you're now stuck having to either find a 3G or 3Gs for the same price you paid, and that might not be feasible.

You might end up losing money. All because Apple failed to deliver. You can also opt to wait for them to fix the iPhone 4 issue so you get the product you were promised.

Returns and reimbursements aren't hassle free hence why it's not as easy as saying "return it for a refund".

Sixth Gauge

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2008
I'm not defending apple because they haven't done anything to me. My phone works and it sucks that yours is having issues. But your problems aren't going to make me hate apple.

Because simply it's not effecting my experience. There seems to be an attitude lately that just because some people are having issues. That everyone should just attack apple. I'm not. Your experience with apple doesn't change how i feel.

Pretty much. The trend is to hate on apple, why aren't you playing along?!

Everything about my I4 has been a better experience, the best I've had on a mobile. Deathgrip issue and all.

Loonytik

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2008
You appear to have missed one important part of Apple's explanation which reads:

"...we are adopting AT&T’s recently recommended formula for calculating how many bars to display for a given signal strength..."

In other words; if other vendors are (still) using an older/different formula in their firmware then yes, they are not showing what they are supposed to show. At least not for AT&T's network.

You appear to have missed the entire point. I don't care how many bars you display, 1? 5? 4? If holding the phone in that spot causes calls to drop then there is a problem. The other phones are on AT&T's network and never drop calls in or around my office. The iphone 4 drops calls when held with the death grip in and around my office. How hard is that to understand?

There are cell towers everywhere around here(Metro Atlanta) and the signal is perfect. Holding the damn iphone 4 in the "death" spot causes cell signal loss and data interruption, it's that simple.

Roamerick

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2003
You appear to have missed the entire point. I don't care how many bars you display, 1? 5? 4? If holding the phone in that spot causes calls to drop then there is a problem. The other phones are on AT&T's network and never drop calls in or around my office. The iphone 4 drops calls when held with the death grip in and around my office. How hard is that to understand?

There are cell towers everywhere around here(Metro Atlanta) and the signal is perfect. Holding the damn iphone 4 in the "death" spot causes cell signal loss and data interruption, it's that simple.

And yet, in my own tests here in the UK in an area with marginal reception, I get minimal data rate impact from the death grip despite a drop of 4 bars in the display.

Go figure, hey? Maybe the issue is more variable and complicated than a simple 'it's broken?'

Tundraboy

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2009
Look at me!!!!!

Attachments

• 4.01.jpg
    4.01.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 73
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.