iOS 4.1 Beta: Game Center, Facetime Favorites, Spelling Correction, More...

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 14, 2010.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Aside from the signal bar changes, Apple has also made a number of other small improvements to iOS in their latest beta which was released to developers tonight.

Game Center returns to the beta releases with a brand new look (screenshot above). Game Center is Apple's matchmaking and leaderboard social network for iOS games. The lack of Game Center in the official iOS 4.0 release caused some confusion, but Apple had never intended Gamecenter to be launched alongside 4.0. Instead, Apple had promised Game Center to come out later this year.

It remains in beta testing for now with no announced release date. The style of the app, however, has been dramatically changed from the original release.

We've also collected a list of other changes that users have noticed in the 4.1 beta.

[​IMG]

- Flash/Camera buttons reposition themselves in landscape (see above).
    - Favorites in the Phone app can now be added as Voice or Facetime.
    - Check Spelling can be turned Off in Setting

We'll continue to update as we collect more reports.

Article Link: iOS 4.1 Beta: Game Center, Facetime Favorites, Spelling Correction, More...

2. ghostface147 macrumors 68030

ghostface147

The ability to turn off spell check. Awesome. My spelling is far superior to humans. I hate that damn thing.

3. Wolffie macrumors regular

Wolffie

4. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

I assume you mean to machines?

5. ghostface147 macrumors 68030

ghostface147

Not at all. Machines can be programmed to spell words that I have no concept of, like medical terms and such. A machine is far superior to me on that.

6. devinci99 macrumors regular

That's nice and all. But when are we getting iOS4.x for ipad????

That's what I'm waiting on!

7. powaking macrumors 6502

powaking

What about sending pictures taken in portrait via email? Are they orientated correctly now?

How about sending an email from within an app when you have an IMAP configured? Does the email get stuck in the outbox?

8. dannyminick macrumors newbie

uh....

I don't know about you, but I would not mind having that classic Mac right there. I collect the old ones and own the new ones of course. LOL

9. simulacra macrumors member

Game center looks ugly, looks like some wooden board game.
    I get the refeence, but it's a bit ... cheap.

10. ghostface147 macrumors 68030

ghostface147

In the fall, as originally announced back when iOS4 was first announced.

11. tpg macrumors regular

iPod app scrolls long titles?

I don't suppose the iPod app scrolls long title/album/artist names, or if there's any other way included of dealing with this issue? It's the dealbreaker for me that keeps putting me off the iPod touch/iPhone platform :-(

12. Tyre macrumors regular

Yeah I agree. I thought the original version previewed was far more Applesque. Although, seeing that one of the few official Apple Apps is Texas Hold 'em, this faux-wood design fits.

13. Yamcha macrumors 68000

Sigh, I'm so sick and tired of all the hype with ipad and iphone 4.. I want to see and update on those imacs.. =/

14. toastboy55 macrumors newbie

camera icons and buttons always changed to landscape for me?

15. Billy Mays macrumors member

16. cutterboy macrumors newbie

I completely agree. Apple UI and graphics are always so elegant and sophisticated. This new Game Center design is super tacky and cheap looking. I hope it evolves yet again into something more Apple-like.

17. OnNightfall macrumors regular

Forget all that other stuff, did they fix the proximity sensor?!?! Please let us know!!!

18. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

I've seen one person claim it seems better w/ iOS 4.1. but that's all I've seen.

arn

19. theBigD23 macrumors 6502a

"Edit User Dictionary" in the General/Keyboard settings as well. Didn't see that there before.

20. dlastmango macrumors 6502

Questions for those of you who have the update installed...

Has anyone notice No change in bars after doing the 4.1 update?
    Is there any way for sure to know if this affects your signal... positive or negatively?

I just switched from Verizon and so far I like my iPhone/AT&T service. I have 5 bars at work and 3-2 at home... fine. What Im afraid of is that at home I will be down to 1 - no bars at home and drop service? I really like to keep things the way they are but i guess the only way to do that is no upgrade.

I will be very upset if i loose reception in my house.

Chris

21. OnNightfall macrumors regular

I really appreciate the quick response. I really hope that's the case.

22. wol macrumors regular

I actually hadn't noticed before, but indeed they do this already! Nice feature... :D

23. bamerican macrumors newbie

Any word on whether orientation can be locked in the horizontal position? Vertical only is a bit silly.

24. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Ahhh, can't wait to get this, have noticed 4.0 be a bit stodgy at times. Hopefully there will be a bit of a performance boost.

That'll probably come for the iPad, but not the iPhone or Touch, the home screen is locked in portrait, unless they allowed that to rotate like the iPad does, I doubt this feature will come into fruition.