Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Saberon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2008
Windows 7 64 bit. iTunes 10.1 beta 2

iPhone 4 4.1 to 4.2 No problems

iPhone 3gs 4.1 to 4.2 wouldn't work, had to revert back to 4.1

iPad 3.2.2 to 4.2, no problems

jasonforisrael

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2008
people should make sure they are also grabbing the correct file for their device.

i'm sure it's happened more than a few times that someone tries to use the iPhone 4 IPSW with the 3GS or vice versa.

Merthyrboy

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2008
Does installing iTunes work the same way as it normally would or do you have to press alt while starting it up?

tonyunreal

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2010
Is it just me, or did 4.2 just make my iPhone 3GS much snappier? :confused:

I don't mean to say this as a joke, my phone really feels like 3.1.3 fast, and I didn't even restored it as new, I restored it to the new firmware then chose "Restore from Backup" where I left before upgrading to 4.2.

Can anyone confirm/deny this? Did Apple overclocked the CPU or something in this update?

athand

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2009
EU
Is it possible to update 4.1 to 4.2 (iP4) without first having to install iTunes 10.1 beta? I mean using 10.0.1.

sdm1985

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2008
I downloaded 4.2 GM for iPhone 4 today and once the softward had been installed I got the message that iTunes was unable to get the phone out of restore/ recovery mode - do I need the iTunes latest beta for this?

Loving the new iTunes logo on the recovery mode screen.

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
I downloaded 4.2 GM for iPhone 4 today and once the softward had been installed I got the message that iTunes was unable to get the phone out of restore/ recovery mode - do I need the iTunes latest beta for this?

Loving the new iTunes logo on the recovery mode screen.

Just use Tinyumbrella to put your device out of recovery.

JulianL

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2010
London, UK
I couldn't see any post in this thread explicitly saying that iTunes 10.1 is needed in order to install the GM but there are lots of posts telling people to to download 10.1 beta 2 and various links for where to get that so is it the case that iTunes 10.1 is required in order to install the iOS 4.2 GM? If this is the case then presumeably it isn't enough for Apple to decide that the 4.2 GM is OK to release, they'll also have to decide that iTunes 10.1 is also good to go and take that out of beta as well.

They can't release a new version of iOS that requires a beta version of iTunes to install can they? If iTunes 10.1 isn't ready then would it be a case of people still running 10.0.1 wouldn't be offered the iOS update for their device, even though Apple had officially released it, and it would only be when iTunes 10.1 comes out of beta that the update is seen?

I'm a bit confused, and guessing a lot here, but I'd like to understand what the real situation is.

- Julian

mayktoie

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2008
Facetime Vanished

I just finished installing ios 4.2 for IP4 but the facetime button disappeared from contacts and i dont have the button when creating a new. sms. I also tried doing a facetime call to my iphone 4 using my imac and the imac said it was unavailable for facetime......:(

Frenchjay

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
I just finished installing ios 4.2 for IP4 but the facetime button disappeared from contacts and i dont have the button when creating a new. sms. I also tried doing a facetime call to my iphone 4 using my imac and the imac said it was unavailable for facetime......:(

I have got the same thing and there is no airplay features anywhere!!:mad:

Edit: Go into settings>>phone>> turn on facetime it came back on mine after that!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.