Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As we await today's release of iOS 4.2, Apple has been making several other changes and updates in conjunction with the release:

- MobileMe: Apple's Me.com web-based MobileMe services are currently down as the company makes changes presumably associated with its "Find My iPhone" service transitioning from a part of the paid MobileMe service to a free service on compatible devices.

A revamped login page has occasionally been visible, giving a fresh look to the service with a prominent MobileMe cloud logo and animated wisps of the cloud offering some additional visual interest. The login page invites users to sign in with their Apple IDs, but they will not be able to so until they have set up Find My iPhone on their iOS 4.2 devices using their Apple IDs.

114249-mobileme_login_cloud_500.jpg

If the user proceeds to enter a Me.com email address as the login, the page automatically recognizes the entry as the user types and dynamically changes to display icons for the full suite of MobileMe services.

114249-mobile_login_services_500.jpg

- iWork for iPad: Macworld reports that Apple will unsurprisingly be rolling out updates to its three iWork applications for the iPad today: Pages, Keynote, and Numbers. The updates will bring support for iOS 4.2 features such as multitasking and AirPrint, as well as several other changes including improved PDF export and presenter-display support for Keynote when connecting an iPad to an external display. Numbers will see the addition of print previews including Auto Fit functionality, as well as support for formula entry with a keyboard. Pages will gain automatic pagination of tables and fixes for several importing bugs.

Article Link: iOS 4.2 Notes: Revamped Me.com Login Page, iWork for iPad Updates

HelveticaNeue

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
I am so happy to see Text Size added to the ruler in Pages. One tap is much better than tapping Info, scrolling to very bottom of style list, tapping Text Options, then Text Size. If only they would add colour to the ruler as well.

mephiska

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2008
Why the hell do they take the service down to do the update? Google never takes Gmail down to add new features.

Taking a this service down for hours so they can very publicly update it in the middle of the day (if you live in the US) is just stupid, especially since its a service you pay for.

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
Taking a this service down for hours so they can very publicly update it in the middle of the day (if you live in the US) is just stupid, especially since its a service you pay for.

It's quite possibly the worst time imaginable.

9AM Pacific
12PM Eastern
5PM GMT (London)

Most of the world is awake and trying to use these things!

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
Why the hell do they take the service down to do the update? Google never takes Gmail down to add new features.

To be fair the IMAP servers and presumably all the other sync and push services have been up all the time. Only the web app was down.

And GMail does have outages for other reasons. It's not perfect.

DocNYz

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2008
East Coast, USA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Find my iPhone was just updated in the app store!

Xtremehkr

macrumors 68000
Jul 4, 2004
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

mephiska said:

Are you kidding?

kntgsp

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2004
The login page invites users to sign in with their Apple IDs, but they will not be able to so until they have set up Find My iPhone on their iOS 4.2 devices using their Apple IDs.

And why exactly is one required to sign up for Find My iPhone to sign into their existing Mobile Me or .Mac accounts when using their iPod Touch, iPhone or iPad?

seamer

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2009
It won't let me login with my old .mac account, and it won't let me renew my now-defunct .me account. This isn't making meh happy. :(

macswitcha2

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2008
I went into my MM account and yep, looks like its only Find My iPhone for free.

Attachments

• free find my iphone.png
    free find my iphone.png
    56.7 KB · Views: 202

mephiska

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2008
Looks like they gave out about 40 days of free service. My account was due to expire today, now it says I have "39 days free".

Still not sure if I'm going to renew, but nice none the less. Still can't get it to play nicely with google apps syncing.

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
Wait, how do I force Safari to show me the new wispy cloud instead of those boring icons?? :confused:

[1] Clear your cookies for me.com*
[2] Reload the page
[3] Savour the cloud and pixie dust in all its glory.

* The easiest way to clear your cookies for me.com is to turn the dev tools on, then choose (Develop > Show Web Inspector). Then click on the storage tab. Then click on auth.me.com in the sidebar. Then delete the three cookies from the table (mmls, lua, wmsid). Click on each one press backspace. Once done it will say "this site has no cookies". Every time you log in the cookies will get set again.

Edit: This is the sprite they use for it. And they are using multiple canvas elements for the pixie dust and shiny iPod/iPhone/iPad screens.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.