iOS 5 Music App... worst Apple software since OS9?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Trager, Oct 15, 2011.

1. Trager macrumors member

Seriously, it's such a ridiculous step backwards that I can't figure out what the iOS team was thinking.

1) It looks ridiculous. Going away from the design aesthetic of iTunes or other native applications for a kind of faux old-time radio look? Really?

2) If you have a lot of playlists, look out. The huge images for each playlist aren't a problem per se, but they shouldn't be the default. I've got dozens of playlists on my iPad, and under OS4, it was easy to surf through them to decide what I wanted. There was a side column with the playlists, and the contents of whichever one you had selected showed up in the main pane. Now, when you select a playlist, it zooms into that list's contents... which makes it much harder to compare playlists quickly.

3) If you like to create new playlists, that just got more difficult, as well. On the iPhone and under iOS4, when adding songs to a playlist, you could use existing playlists to make it easier to find stuff. The iOS5 iPad Music app does not let you do so (although the iPhone one does).

4) There is no visual difference between playlists and playlist folders.

5) Seriously, isn't it about time we get some sort options and the like when viewing playlists or songs? Or how about having a list mode when viewing by artist or album? It's like whoever used this app only tested it with a hundred songs at a time. Those of us who keep thousands of songs on our iPad and like to use them for on the fly playlists are better off using iPhones. That's sad.

2. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

I don't see the problem. Just takes a little time to adjust to the changes. I am quite happy with the iOS 5 music app but I also am not quite a power user like you.

3. Rubo Draco macrumors regular

Totally agree!
    Why didn't they use the GUI from the Remote app to make the Music app look more like our Mac (PC) iTunes?

and I'd also like to see CoverFlow on it.

4. Deschain macrumors member

For podcasts, it's ruined.

Can't change the speed (previously you could set it to 1/2, 1 or 2x)

Can't get new episodes (without manually finding it in the store, there's no longer am"get more episodes" button.

No 30s rewind (very nice to have for spoken word.

It won't even play the next episode, after an episode finishes, playback just stops. You have to manually pick the next show.

Doesn't show the number of new episodes or total episodes.

No lyric support (show notes are very nice to have in podcasts)

I could go on. I HATE the music app. I consume a lot of audio on my iPad and this app is terrible. I'd almost give up all the things I like about ios5 just to go back to the old app and get rid of new POS.

5. al256 macrumors 6502a

al256

Ouch. I have fond memories of OS 9.

Mac OS 9>10.0

6. ICEBreaker macrumors 6502

You scared the utter **** out of me. Luckily those things don't seem to be true in my case. I still have all those things.

7. bobTX10 macrumors member

Yeah I really dislike the new music app as well. Nt as functional and looks like crap. Oh well...

8. palpatine macrumors 68040

there is some good stuff in it, but i feel like most of the changes are bad, especially taking away the ability to get more episodes. very disappointing, and i cannot imagine the reasoning there.

9. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

I use it quite a bit, because of the ability to control the volume when playing music through the AppleTV. I know Apple says you should use your TV/amplifier remote for that, but it's better to just use your iPad, rather than your iPad & another remote control just for the volume.

That said, it doesn't look great, IMO. Even the new icon looks a bit amateurish, IMO.

10. Bluemeanie1976 macrumors 6502a

Bluemeanie1976

Well, I don't have any issue with it. Never listened to a podcast, or audiobook at 'chipmunk' speed, and never figured I would ever do so.

Playlists are fine. No issue there

Nice fresh look.

Job jobbed.

11. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Probably because it's actually a pretty old icon, dating back to the first gen iPod touch:

[​IMG]

12. Mirai 11 macrumors 6502

Mirai 11

But, the iPod icon has been with the iPhone since that was first released, announced even, so that's even older?

13. KittiFatale macrumors member

KittiFatale

I actually love the new look. The old one was so messy.

14. stix macrumors member

I would say it's been poorly developed. The way the album artwork flashes when skipping back and forth between tracks is truly awful. Sloppy programming.

15. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

I like the look of the Music app, but there are a few things not quite right:

When playing music in full screen, a pinch in should bring back from full screen, and a pinch out(on the smaller album art), should bring you back to full screen.

Also when in full screen, a two-finger swipe to switch tracks would work better, leaving the single finger swipe for switching between multiple album arts within the same file.

That and Lyrics needs to comeback.

16. rcp27 macrumors regular

Strange. I listen to my podcasts on my iPhone, and all of these features are present on iOS5 on the iPhone. Is the iPad different?

17. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

I have no problem with the new look. I have a huge problem with the loss of functionality. It has actually ruined audiobooks for me. What I don't understand is the functionality on the iPhone didn't change, which is a good thing, but I don't know why they took things out of the iPad.

18. marcovortex macrumors member

marcovortex

Love the new look!

My 2 cents on this is that I think the new look is great! Nothing I use it for was impacted negatively but for others that have had that happen hopefully they will make some changes and update it soon for you.

19. ICEBreaker macrumors 6502

Same here. However, inability to manage videos (and video podcasts) is so frustrating. Did they think people wouldn't need playlists for videos? Or that they can wade through 100s of videos?

20. Merthyrboy macrumors 6502

Also if you try to open an artist with lots of tracks it crashes the app. I've got 300 R.E.M. songs on my iPad and if I try to open them it crashes but I can play them fine through songs or albums

21. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Oops. I could have sworn the iPad (on iOS 4.x) had an iPod app (with orange iPod icon) for listening to music, rather than this Music app. Perhaps I'm confusing it with my iPhone's iPod app. Apologies if I was wrong. Still don't like the icon, mind. ;)

I do like how the buttons in the app, and in the Now Playing screen are in the same location. Previously, the play buttons were in the top left, but switch to Now Playing and they were in the top right.

22. Deschain macrumors member

Yes. On my touch, the music app seems to be unchanged, or at least not changed in any meaningful ways, whereas the ipad has been revamped and, in mine and many others opinion, ruined.

Thats the thing that bugs me so much. On my touch, things are fine. Podcasts are better than ever because with wireless sync, I always have them up to date every morning,.

I honestly don't think i'm being hyperbolic when i say spoken word (audiobooks and podcasts) are ruined on the ipad. I don't know how music is, because I don't load music on my ipad, but podcasts are ruined. They left the iphone/ipod touch app unchanged and neutered the ipad app and it makes zero sense to me.

I love notification center, tabbed browsing (the biggest improvment imo on the ipad) and wireless sync but i would honestly trade those away for the old music app because i use it so often on my ipad.

I don't even mind the look anymore (I still think it's goofy and a step back) but whatever, i'll live with design choices I don't like, but to remove functionality for no apparent reason and cripple an app? I don't get that.

23. milo macrumors 604

Yeah, it's definitely a mess and I completely agree it's by far the worst Apple software I've seen in years, horrible interface and tons of bugs. Let Apple know so they can fix it.

http://www.apple.com/feedback/ipad.html

And to be clear, most of the problems are with the iPad version, sounds like the iPhone version didn't change much at all.

24. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Agree. Music app for iOS 5 is horrible on the iPad.

Extremely difficult to select a playlist.

25. milo macrumors 604

A couple more issues, sorry if these were posted already.

* No chapter support in audiobooks
    * Podcasts don't continue on to the next one, have to hit play after each one (same goes for audiobooks that are in multiple files)
    * Podcasts don't show the date any more (and podcasts only show in a tiny window so long titles are cut off even though tons of space around the edge of the screen is sitting there empty)