iPhone iOS 7 Clean Install = Improved Battery Life?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by willisc, Jun 17, 2013.

1. willisc macrumors newbie

Does anyone know if this is legit?

I have heard a few people on different sites say that a clean install of iOS 7 with restored iCloud settings yields SIGNIFICANT battery life improvements.

Side Note: Will future betas of iOS 7 be pushed straight to my phone or will I have to download beta 2, beta 3, beta N, and so on?

2. aldoF macrumors regular

I had horrible issues with battery life and overheating with a restored from backup install, tried my best for a week to try and tweak everything I knew and read from here, finally decided to redo it as new, night and day...battery drainage and overheating are history!

3. willisc thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the tip! Haha i actually failed to mention i could fry an egg on my iphone half the time too, which is bad...

4. rmeadejr macrumors 6502a

i always do a clean install when i do the betas and i never have battery issues.

----------

on the side night we don't know...they could do it both

5. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

I had really bad battery drain and overheating on my 4S - decided to test iOS 7 on my iP5 and it's been stellar! Great battery life and no overheating so far....

(PS - I'm not a dev so my iOS 7 install is an upgrade over a clean 6.1.4 install).

6. batting1000 macrumors 604

I restored when I originally downloaded it and I can say my battery is not as good as iOS 6.

OP: betas will be pushed to your phone as they are released. There are a bevy of threads in this forum that could've told you that.

7. willisc thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry I wanted to embed that question in this post as a secondary topic because I couldn't find it easily in the search, but to be fair I hadn't put much effort into that. My apologies.

8. ominx macrumors 6502

I want to try this.

Question to those that have "setup as a new phone"...

Are you putting everything back in place manually? Or are are you using an iCloud restore?

I pretty much know how to get everything back in place without using any backup except for iMessages/SMSs. Is there an easy way to do this?

9. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

After a fresh install, I am manually installing apps. That way, (hopefully) if something suddenly starts going awry after an install, I have somewhere to look.

The most I have gotten from my battery thus far, has been about 6hrs of mixed use, which wasn't too heavy.

10. martinocando macrumors regular

martinocando

I just made a clean install a few days ago, and battery perf is stellar. The first time I put iOS7, I did a restore, and didn't had any battery issues either. Just make sure you turn off background refresh and turn off not needed GPS updates from the privacy settings, and you'll have the same performance.
    I think 90% of the time people complain about heat and battery drain, is due to the GPS.

11. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

A better way to say it is that restoring data from a previous iOS version may lead to decreased battery life. This is true for all major iOS releases including betas.

12. lancastor macrumors 6502a

I had done an update from iOS6 to iOS7 (not a fresh iOS7 install) and a have no problems with my battery runtime.

13. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Good point.

----------

How many hours of use are you getting with iOS 7?

----------

What do you consider "stellar" ?

----------

If the user has a registered UDID account. Otherwise, said user will be sitting still.

14. Steven627 macrumors member

Steven627

15. bankshot macrumors 65816

bankshot

This should be doable, using an iTunes backup of the phone. Obviously you should create a new backup immediately prior to doing a fresh install. I haven't tried this, but I've been thinking about it myself as I ponder whether to jump to iOS 7 (probably not, as I don't have a dedicated test device, and the iOS 7 Simulator should be sufficient for testing my app for now).

In your mobile device backups folder (~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup) there will be various subfolders for the backups you've done. Inside the latest backup folder, the SMS database should be named "3d0d7e5fb2ce288813306e4d4636395e047a3d28".

I'm not completely sure if this would work since I haven't experimented with it, but this is what I'd try. I'd make a copy of that latest backup folder, rename it with the current date/time, and then delete everything inside except for the SMS database. Hopefully iTunes will then see it as a backup containing only that one database, and you'll be able to restore as if it were a full backup.

Of course, it may not be quite that simple, depending on how finicky iTunes is about the MobileSync/Backup folder. Good luck if you try it. :)

Edit: see also http://senseiphone.com/iphone-backup-location-files-05203655/

16. freejack macrumors regular

freejack

Can someone confirm if the above suggestion works? This is the one thing keeping me from doing a clean restore.

17. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

It might appear to work for one person. That doesn't necessarily mean that it will for another. There are too many variables involved to state with any real certainty.

18. ominx macrumors 6502

The above suggestion did not work for me. When trying to restore the backup I received a message the backup was corrupt and couldn't continue.

19. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

I had the same experience.
    I was actually laughing at the people suggesting the clean install because I'd been beta testing since iOS 5 and while a clean install is always best practice, I'd never really seen it make a noticeable difference in battery life that I couldn't explain away by other means.
    But then I tried it with this beta and it was night and day difference.
    Before I couldn't run the GPS while listening to music without the phone overheating and rebooting. I was always down to 20% by lunchtime.
    But after the clean install I'm still at over 50% by the end of the day and I haven't overheated once.
    For this beta anyway, I am a believer.

20. monkthehonk macrumors member

Does anyone know the reasoning behind this?

21. rmeadejr macrumors 6502a

there might be something in the backup that will cause the battery issues.

22. iPhoneApple macrumors 6502

Can you downgrade from iOS 7 to iOS6, do a clean install, and then go back to iOS7 (I'm currently getting 3.5 hours usage on Beta 1)

If you leave iOS7 beta, can you put it back on your form?

23. rmeadejr macrumors 6502a

yes you can downgrade and put ios 7 back on.

24. monkthehonk macrumors member

you can just do a clean install from iOS 7. just choose to restore to iOS 7

25. iPhoneApple macrumors 6502

I'm new to the developing scene; would I just click restore in iTunes and it would work just fine?