Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daijholt

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2013
Wales, UK
Just out of curiosity for those that have mastered it, would choosing "restore from icloud" when setting the phone up again undo the clean install, or is it just backups done through iTunes that play hell with battery life in new betas?

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Just out of curiosity for those that have mastered it, would choosing "restore from icloud" when setting the phone up again undo the clean install, or is it just backups done through iTunes that play hell with battery life in new betas?

In my opinion, there is no mastery with this. It appears to be a case by case basis, which also appears to be subject to change at any time for any reason.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
For whatever it is worth to those reading, I did a fresh install last night (not update) on my 5. Not long after the install, I could feel the back of the Otterbox case getting warm. About 15 minutes or so later, I reset network settings. Phone has not been warm today, that I have been able to tell. I have used LTE briefly, along with iTunes radio and minimal surfing. I also turned off mail push last night. Wasn't in a good cell area earlier in the day, so battery suffered. I had it in airplane mode most of the time at school. Started the day at 7am with 100%. Down to 67%. I did have a few apps running in the background at times, that I had forgotten about. I am doing my best to be conscious about closing apps asap.

Last edited:

Northernist

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2013
For what it's worth, I did NOT do a clean install (just updated, kept all my settings and apps intact) and my battery life has been better than what most of the people have been posting. Seems to be on par with, if not better than what I was getting on iOS 6. I would say it's more about apps not being optimized for iOS than the beta just having bad battery management. I'm sure it isn't perfect but I think a lot of apps are having some runaway CPU power draw.

sumsingwong

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2012
When I installed iOS 7 and restored from backup, the battery life was the same as iOS 6. After a clean install as new phone, the battery life is outstanding. I have all location services on. Wifi and BT are always on as well.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371755451.189808.jpg

gomoq13

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2013
Singapore
I had done an update from iOS6 to iOS7 (not a fresh iOS7 install) and a have no problems with my battery runtime.

I updated my iPhone 4S to iOS 7 without restore too. Battery was utterly horrendous until I disabled Background App Refresh and Automatic App Updates and reset my network settings. Battery drain is as normal now.

Krissypantz2828

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2012
Ive done both and I cant really say that the clean install helped.

I charged it last night before I went to bed. Used it slightly, it was at 86% when I went to bed and when I woke up it was at 60%. It is currently now 1.5 hours later at 37%.

In the past 1.5 hours all I did was go on tapatalk, facebook quickly, reset network settings, downloaded an app!

Settings are no app refresh, frequent notifications off, motion on!

----------

I updated my iPhone 4S to iOS 7 without restore too. Battery was utterly horrendous until I disabled Background App Refresh and Automatic App Updates and reset my network settings. Battery drain is as normal now.

Where do you find that setting?

rmeadejr

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2009
San Francisco-Twin Peaks
Ive done both and I cant really say that the clean install helped.

I charged it last night before I went to bed. Used it slightly, it was at 86% when I went to bed and when I woke up it was at 60%. It is currently now 1.5 hours later at 37%.

In the past 1.5 hours all I did was go on tapatalk, facebook quickly, reset network settings, downloaded an app!

Settings are no app refresh, frequent notifications off, motion on!

----------

Where do you find that setting?

background app refresh is in the general setting

Krissypantz2828

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2012
I had the same experience.
I was actually laughing at the people suggesting the clean install because I'd been beta testing since iOS 5 and while a clean install is always best practice, I'd never really seen it make a noticeable difference in battery life that I couldn't explain away by other means.
But then I tried it with this beta and it was night and day difference.
Before I couldn't run the GPS while listening to music without the phone overheating and rebooting. I was always down to 20% by lunchtime.
But after the clean install I'm still at over 50% by the end of the day and I haven't overheated once.
For this beta anyway, I am a believer.

I did a clean install and my batt life isnt as good as yours..what am I doing wrong? All settings are off like location, frequent and app refresh :(

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
Why are you guys bothering? It's a beta, you can't really make the battery life better. The beta has extra debug code and extra stuff running in the background for feedback purposes. If you want better battery life, go back to 6.1.4.

echo44

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2008
just curious how do you kill apps that are running? in iOS 6 when you double click you get the apps running on the bottom and you hold down the screen and an x appears? on ios7 i have found no way to completely close an app?

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Thats good :) About ur batt life! I will find solutions :) Just hope I dont have to clean install again..thats such a pain in the butt..

Think about turning off cellular for a while, if you are on wifi, especially if your cellular signal is low. Low signal will drain battery faster.

Also, if you load up the phone with a bunch of apps at one time, makes it that much harder to find a possible app hog etc. Just a thought. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.