Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

iOS 8.3 Untethered Jailbreak Released for iPhone and iPad

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Chinese team TaiG has released an iOS 8.3 untethered jailbreak tool on Windows for compatible iPhone, iPad and iPod touch devices. TaiG warns that some jailbreak tweaks are not compatible with iOS 8.3 as Jay Freeman (saurik) has yet to update Cydia Substrate/Mobile Substrate to be compatible with the latest jailbreak. An iOS 8.3 jailbreak tool for OS X has not been released.

Jailbreaking enables iPhone, iPad and iPod touch users to install unapproved third-party apps, tweaks, mods, custom themes, utilities, and other content (called "packages") from Cydia, which is essentially an App Store alternative for jailbroken devices. In other words, jailbreaking allows users to further customize and enhance their iOS devices beyond the limits that Apple imposes.

It is highly recommended that you back up your data through iTunes or iCloud before attempting to jailbreak your device, as there are various issues that could require downgrading or restoring your device and result in data loss. TaiG offers more information on its Twitter and has posted step-by-step instructions on how to use the iOS 8.3 untethered jailbreak on its website.

TaiG 2.0 supports iOS 8.1.3 - iOS 8.3.

Article Link: iOS 8.3 Untethered Jailbreak Released for iPhone and iPad

Reactions: Coleman2010

Pakaku

macrumors 68020
Aug 29, 2009
Nice to know jailbreaking is still active. iOS still doesn't really feel like a real OS in its basic state.

Reactions: impulse462
Comment

AngerDanger

macrumors 603
Dec 9, 2008
Create Windows partition to jailbreak… don't jailbreak and avoid hassle… create Windows partition to jailbreak… etc.

oh my ... why didnt they just wait for the 8.4 GM

Perhaps a patch for the exploit already exists in one of the betas and they wanted to push this out before anybody updates.

Comment

TL24

macrumors 65816
Oct 20, 2011
Well, there's no point of going to iOS 8.4 now lol jk.

I've been having strange lag and and locked up screen issues on my 6+ running 8.3 so I may have to skip this JB if 8.4 doesn't make it any better. Glad we'll have sometime to test out the JB before 8.4 officially comes out though!

Comment

DFZD

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2012

If you think about it, it's actually great timing. 8.4 GM comes tomorrow, so Apple doesn't have the time to fix their bugs, also since they've announced that 8.4 comes with Apple Music, this leaves them with no option but to leave the loopholes as it is, and probably patch them with 8.4.1.

Comment

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Are these safe? I've been tempted to jailbreak one of my iOS devices just to see what the fuss is about, but I'm unsure about opening up my devices to potential "baddies".

Comment

BeSweeet

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2009
San Antonio, TX
If you think about it, it's actually great timing. 8.4 GM comes tomorrow, so Apple doesn't have the time to fix their bugs, also since they've announced that 8.4 comes with Apple Music, this leaves them with no option but to leave the loopholes as it is, and probably patch them with 8.4.1.

It's been said that the latest 8.4 beta fixes their exploits anyway, so there wasn't really any reason to wait.

Reactions: DFZD and Topher227
Comment

TL24

macrumors 65816
Oct 20, 2011
Are these safe? I've been tempted to jailbreak one of my iOS devices just to see what the fuss is about, but I'm unsure about opening up my devices to potential "baddies".

It's safe, this JB has been around for some time now, not with 8.3 but with previous iOS versions as well.

Reactions: EthanLMT
Comment

that be me

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2013
My brother's phone gets stuck at 20% and fails to jailbreak after a few restarts. No idea why.

Comment

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
I will give it a shot on my iPad Air 2 but whats the point? With true multitasking coming I will be back to official in a few months and there will be plenty of updates for iOS 9.
Jailbreaks are basically Rollercoaster rides; you have ups and downs. It's never consistent throughout the year.

Reactions: PeterJames the 3rd
Comment

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008

8.4 patches this exploit. The reason they released it is that the release of 8.4 will mean they will no longer be signing the 8.3 code which means you can't install it after that time without backup. They have to release now of it would be totally worthless as soon as 8.4 is released.

Comment

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008

If they had have waited:

- iOS 8.4 released, patching exploits
- iOS 8.3 is stopped being signed

So if they waited it would have been useless to anyone currently not on 8.1.3 to 8.3. Releasing it now allows everyone to upgrade to 8.3 and then jailbreak.

Reactions: bradl
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.