Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ozreth

macrumors 65816
Nov 5, 2009
Look at that horribly disgusting looking Galaxy S8. Get that thing out of my face! OUT OF MY FACE!!!

What? Hardware and software discussions aside, this is just silly. You almost never see anyone bashing the aesthetics of the s8. What's ugly about it?

Reactions: Dave.UK

CJM

macrumors 68000
May 7, 2005
U.K.
Have to agree that consumers here are picking up on the higher prices of Apple products as a negative. It was okay for a while, but now the £ has recovered, Apple needs to lower their prices again. I'm so deeply invested in the ecosystem currently I'd find it incredibly hard to get an S8, but I have been tempted on a few occasions.

Reactions: manni

manni

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2010
Also, here in the UK, Samsung knows how currency conversion works.

Apple is ripping off UK customers and people are beginning to realise. You can tell me all you like about Apple betting on the pound being lower in the future because of Brexit, but right now it’s £1=$1.30.

Also, I can buy an S8 for around £600. The equivalent iPhone will be £1000. For £400, I can learn to live with Android, because there isn’t a massive difference now between the two OSs for most people.

Oh and also Apple has the audacity to charge £800 for a design that came out four years ago. No thanks, Tim.

Good post. For me the worst was the new iPad pro. It came out when the pound was at its lowest against the dollar so I kind of understood we got a bad price. But during the recent price adjustments they actually increased the price of the iPad pro! Just madness given the pound has increased in value since then. It proves that their talk of our increased prices being due to the exchange rate was pure BS.

I'm a big apple fan and I also understand that all companies try to maximise profits. But I am pretty confident that in the USA Apple also make money yet in Britain they have just gone full on price gouging and there's no doubt some people are beginning to notice. I'm not going to lie and say I'll go to Android, I won't do that. I'll keep buying Apple stuff for many years I am sure.

But for many years I bought it, knew it was expensive but felt happy I had bought it, thinking I got something that represented the very best that Apple could do at a fair price. Now I buy their stuff and feel some resentment, I am over a barrel, I want iOS, I want iMessage and I know they are creaming off another clear £100 on top just because I am in Britain and Cook and the rest of the directors all want another $10million bonus. It reminds me of what Steve Jobs said about how when sales and marketing types (i.e. the Tim Cooks of the world) run companies they have no understanding of how a customer feels and no desire to help the customer. How strange that Jobs appointed Cook to replace him. I know my purchases will just go into the spreadsheet as another tiny part of the success of making many millions of dollars but the way I feel when buying Apple products has got worse.

He could have been talking about the current management. Yes they are making money (Apple also made more money under Sculley than Jobs) but the way us customers feel is getting worse.

Andreas56938

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2017
Hahaha, I remember that.

I thought the same thing when I first saw it, but then I used the phone (I own a Note8).

The usefulness comes from split-screen multitasking (which iPhone doesn't have), so you get two nice-sized screens in both landscape and portrait, and the device is still wide enough but not unwieldy, even with a case.

Even the iPhone X has wider bezels (bezelless is an illusion...the ring around the phone is fat).

What are you saying?!

Of course the iPhone 8 has a split screen!

#SplitGate

spacemnspiff

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
MD
Oh and also Apple has the audacity to charge £800 for a design that came out four years ago. No thanks, Tim.
Here is one perspective to your post.

If you think the iPhone is just about the exterior design, you should buy parts for just the exterior shell (the design you refer to) and assemble it and see if you can use it.
And you can buy the parts for far cheaper cost than the new iPhone, you win on price and also have a new phone that you could flaunt as the new iPhone.

Too many people are hung up on exterior design as being the driving factor for Apple to release a new iteration, maybe the same people when they shop for a new car they just buy the exterior shell without the engines and transmissions.

The problem is people cannot appreciate or put value towards what they cannot imagine or understand, the case being, the new iPhone is not the same old iPhone.

RossMak

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2012
The note 8 is only $70 cheaper then the iPhone X

About £140 in the UK I think I would also have to get the 256gb storage option which adds on to that and I would only have to factor an SD card for the Samsung.

I usually do phones on contract and the cost of the Note 8 versus the X are quite significant as well.

I’m also really not a fan of the look of the X so my choices are either branch out or keep my 6S. My company provide me with an iPhone 7 for work so I wouldn’t be completely out in the cold.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
And with there greedy price gouging increase they instigated in the U.K. they can expect to lose even more sales. The standard iPhone 8 256GB is nearly double what an S8 can be found for! Let alone the Plus and X models!!

RickInHouston

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2014
Any correlation to economic conditions? How's that BRExit going there?
Such a tired argument. Only rich people have apple phones.

Safari is faster. Steve is rolling in his grave...
[doublepost=1507919390][/doublepost]
Well, you’re a better person than me because I couldn’t learn to live with it.

It's hard not being hand held with a phone operating system, isn't it.

mcorleone

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2008
Florida
I have this friend who isn't too tech savvy where every time she get's a new phone (usually Samsuck) she has me set the wallpaper, unlock screen... It always reminds me of why I stick to iPhones and will never stoop to an Android OS. What I had to figure out in 10 minutes on that thing, I can do in less than a minute on mine...

Tijdelijk

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2017
I have this friend who isn't too tech savvy where every time she get's a new phone (usually Samsuck) she has me set the wallpaper, unlock screen... It always reminds me of why I stick to iPhones and will never stoop to an Android OS. What I had to figure out in 10 minutes on that thing, I can do in less than a minute on mine...

Nonsens
Or do you mean all the steps you have to do on an Iphone when you are in the camera app and you want to change some camera settings ?? ;)

Setting a wallpaper is just as fast on an Android as on an Iphone.

Reactions: pratikindia

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
Other than the obvious reason though, why compare 256Gb Apples to 64Gb Prunes?

Because the 64GB is a hard limit on Apple but expandable on the Prune? If I bought the iPhone 8, I would go for the 256GB model as well to make sure I won’t run into problems with storage later on. For after all, my current iPhone is a 128GB model and as that level is not available, I’d rather go for double rather than half the previous storage.

Reactions: RossMak and apolloa

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Other than the obvious reason though, why compare 256Gb Apples to 64Gb Prunes?

Because the S8 has expandable memory for your photos and videos and downloaded programmes and films and your music.
[doublepost=1507924405][/doublepost]
Because the 64GB is a hard limit on Apple but expandable on the Prune? If I bought the iPhone 8, I would go for the 256GB model as well to make sure I won’t run into problems with storage later on. For after all, my current iPhone is a 128GB model and as that level is not available, I’d rather go for double rather than half the previous storage.

Yeap, Apple dumped the 128GB option to manipulate its sales of the higher priced 256GB models.

Walk into the average British high street phone shop next year and the iPhone X will easily be the most expensive phone in the shop... next to the iPhone 8 sporting a design 4 years old or will it be 5? And then you’ll have the S8 et el with its modern fresh bezel free design and curved screen for a noticably lower cost.... and the S8 some would argue takes better photos.

Last edited:
Reactions: big-ted and Dave.UK

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
Because the S8 has expandable memory for your photos and videos and downloaded programmes and films and your music.
[doublepost=1507924405][/doublepost]

Yeap, Apple dumped the 128GB option to manipulate its sales of the higher priced 256GB models.

Walk into the average British high street phone shop next year and the iPhone X will easily be the most expensive phone in the shop... next to the iPhone 8 sporting a design 4 years old or will it be 5? And then you’ll have the S8 et el with its modern fresh bezel free design and curved screen for a noticably lower cost.... and the S8 some would argue takes better photos.

But SD cards are relatively slow and not all apps can actually be moved, can they? And if you do move apps on there then the "swappability" of them is gone, because you can't lose a majority of your apps and data without pain. Seems like Samsung ought to give their customers the choice (I thought choice was good) of higher amounts of storage, rather than offer a compromised workaround.

Gilligan's last elephant

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2016
I agree. Changing wallpaper is do difficult.

Settings
Display
Wallpaper.

Really hard
[doublepost=1507927763][/doublepost]
But SD cards are relatively slow and not all apps can actually be moved, can they? And if you do move apps on there then the "swappability" of them is gone, because you can't lose a majority of your apps and data without pain. Seems like Samsung ought to give their customers the choice (I thought choice was good) of higher amounts of storage, rather than offer a compromised workaround.
64Gb is more than most people would ever need for apps and OS.

Memory hog is media storage. Flac files, movies and photos. SD cards are ideal for media.

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland

They are slow, but the internal 64GB should be more than enough for apps. It’s media storage where SD cards become useful.

Gilligan's last elephant

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2016
They are slow, but the internal 64GB should be more than enough for apps. It’s media storage where SD cards become useful.
For media storage, SD cards (Class 10 in particular) are not slow. High end DSLR cameras and 4k video recorders use class 10 SD cards. 64Gb costs less than $30 and when changing to a new phone, the card can be changed in seconds.

Reactions: Feenician

mrklaw

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2008
I want to apologise for the UK figures. We have a lot of retards over here who just see like for like price comparisons without taking into account of import tax, 20% VAT and shipping costs. With those costs added, we pretty much pay the same as the US. It's these blinkered, single minded people that voted to stay in the EU.

To be fair though, when the Pound was stronger, the price was no lower. Apple's prices really only ever increase because of currency conversions.

Iphone X 64GB - $999 is around £750. Add 20% sales tax and that makes £899. Apple are charging £999 for it

Reactions: WatchFromAfar

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016

For media storage, SD cards (Class 10 in particular) are not slow. High end DSLR cameras and 4k video recorders use class 10 SD cards. 64Gb costs less than $30 and when changing to a new phone, the card can be changed in seconds.

Ok. Thanks for the info. I still think it's more honest to compare a 64Gb to a 64Gb though, expandable storage aside.

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
That front page article was deeply flawed as many have pointed out. Sure, the hardware performance is the same, but OS demand increase with each release and Apple pushes OS releases out users beyond what their hardware can handle comfortably. No one cares that the CPU runs at the same speed, when the OS takes twice as long to launch an app, or when scrolling stutters after a new OS release.

So you're saying new software with more capabilities and features uses more resources? What a shocking revelation. You do realize this is how things generally work and isn't limited to iPhones, iOS or Apple? There are some small exceptions, like upgrading to Windows 7 from Vista, but that's because Vista was utter garbage.

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
Ok. Thanks for the info. I still think it's more honest to compare a 64Gb to a 64Gb though, expandable storage aside.

It depends on your needs. I need to compare to the 256GB version as that’s the one I’d need to get when the lifetime of the device is considered. Those 64GB to 64GB comparisons wouldn’t be as straightforward as it looks like since we would be comparing 64GB initial storage to 64GB absolute lifetime maximum storage.

Reactions: Feenician

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
It depends on your needs. I need to compare to the 256GB version as that’s the one I’d need to get when the lifetime of the device is considered. Those 64GB to 64GB comparisons wouldn’t be as straightforward as it looks like since we would be comparing 64GB initial storage to 64GB absolute lifetime maximum storage.

Fair enough. It doesn't really impact me, one way or another.

Reactions: Roadstar
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.