Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Olganech

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2015
What year did iPhone 6 come out? 2014

What year is it now? 2017

What’s 2017 - 2014?

THREE.

Depends on how you count it. Model year 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017.

When you subtract 2014 from 2017 you get 3 but when you are counting in years year 0 is counted as 1 year.

Example the '90's decade 1990 to 1999 is ten years but in car or other model years the year 0 is counted a 1 year.

So a model that came out in say 1990 would be first gen and by 1994 that would be the fifth gen.

At that rate the iPhone X has been released in it's 11th year.

mlody

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2012
Windy City
This! The game is up Apple .. your products are no longer best of breed so those with half a brain are leaving you in droves - nothing to do with marketing, your price hikes have just drawn attention to the flaws and made otherwise loyal customers (like me) think about alternatives which is dangerous.

The 8 is a dinosaur compared to the S8 and people aren't convinced by the X beyond the silly gimmicks and people who must have an apple logo on something they own.

My movements over recent months/years:

Airplay > Sonos
iCloud photos > Google photos
iCloud services > Office365
iPhone > Samsung S8
Apple watch > S3 Frontier
MacBook Pro > Dell XPS15
Apple TV > Chromecast

iPad remains but frankly if I can get over the size of the Note8 that'll be next purchase and the iPad will be on the way out too.

The cost of entry, while painful, is worth it _if_ it's the best end to end experience - but it's not (for me at least) any more.

If Google can address App quality somehow .. the Android counterparts are still more buggy than iOS, and I'm talking about BIG apps like Spotify, Plex etc.. then they could do some serious damage

Do you even know what Office 365 is? I am guessing not, cause if you knew your comparison would look like

Office 365 >>>>>>>>>>> add another 10 years gap and then there is iCloud

timber

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2006
Lisbon
Ok. Thanks for the info. I still think it's more honest to compare a 64Gb to a 64Gb though, expandable storage aside.
Android nowadays allows to join the internal memory and the SD in a seamless way (like a regular computer)
You combine it with a fast SD as others have mentioned. You loose the ability to remove the SD and have your media but you also can't do that with just internal memory. There is always the cloud for that.

BladeRunner95

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2017
Earth
Any correlation to economic conditions? How's that BRExit going there?

Brexit has been a reality check. The average person simply doesn't realise how unsustainable the current economic situation is for Western countries, not just the UK.

Costs are too high (high wages and strong currency) to be able to manufacture most products here, so the manufacturing is off-shored, and we import much more than we export (including services). As a result there is a massive trade imbalance between imports and exports, and the gap is essentially plugged by debt. Debt levels are massive and growing rapidly. This is only possible because of fractional reserve banking and FIAT currency (backed by nothing), but it cannot continue forever.

Brexit has devalued the UK pound, so it's given exporters a boost as UK made products can be sold more competitively to overseas markets. It's also made imports a bit more expensive, which means people are more likely to buy UK made items, holiday in the UK, and tourism from overseas has increased sharply. It also means inflation has increased to around the BoE target of 2% so this has boosted consumer spending (many regions are flirting with deflation which is very hard to turn around once you have it take hold). The UK even recorded it's first trade surplus in 15 years in June. So it's in many ways been positive so far.

Unfortunately here the Brexit campaign was toxic with both sides spreading lies and fear. Most liberal-leaning media used simple psychology and just made out the whole campaign to be about race, essentially saying "you are racist if you vote leave". Many people lapped this up, and will claim anyone who voted 'leave' is racist - ironically generalising someone based on their voting decision just like a racist would based on someones race!

Ultimately people need to look at the bigger picture, and that is that Western countries are operating like someone who is living well beyond their means and just stacking up credit card debt, loans etc. This works up to the point where you can't pay back what you owe!..

Reactions: cdrider and flowsy

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Brexit has been a reality check. The average person simply doesn't realise how unsustainable the current economic situation is for Western countries, not just the UK.

Costs are too high (high wages and strong currency) to be able to manufacture most products here, so the manufacturing is off-shored, and we import much more than we export (including services). As a result there is a massive trade imbalance between imports and exports, and the gap is essentially plugged by debt. Debt levels are massive and growing rapidly. This is only possible because of fractional reserve banking and FIAT currency (backed by nothing), but it cannot continue forever.

Brexit has devalued the UK pound, so it's given exporters a boost as UK made products can be sold more competitively to overseas markets. It's also made imports a bit more expensive, which means people are more likely to buy UK made items, holiday in the UK, and tourism from overseas has increased sharply. It also means inflation has increased to around the BoE target of 2% so this has boosted consumer spending (many regions are flirting with deflation which is very hard to turn around once you have it take hold). The UK even recorded it's first trade surplus in 15 years in June. So it's in many ways been positive so far.

Unfortunately here the Brexit campaign was toxic with both sides spreading lies and fear. Most liberal-leaning media used simple psychology and just made out the whole campaign to be about race, essentially saying "you are racist if you vote leave". Many people lapped this up, and will claim anyone who voted 'leave' is racist - ironically generalising someone based on their voting decision just like a racist would based on someones race!

Ultimately people need to look at the bigger picture, and that is that Western countries are operating like someone who is living well beyond their means and just stacking up credit card debt, loans etc. This works up to the point where you can't pay back what you owe!..

We are not living beyond our means I don’t think, it is a sustainable living, we all help the rich get richer, what is it the top 1% in this world hold two thirds of the planets entire wealth between them? So their certainly seems to be endless amounts of money to go around, but things like the housing market being fixed in the UK as it is doesn’t help.

And you forgot to mention the media and remain campaign claimed those voting for Brexit were also thick and stupid and didn’t understand what they were voting for... I can assure you it was NOT just about immigrants, race has nothing not to do with it.

Ironically, since the vote all the EU and remain supporters like Branson have done so far is turn more people against the EU project. More fool them though.

Last edited:

cfurlin

Suspended
Jun 14, 2011
It's hard not being hand held with a phone operating system, isn't it.
I wouldn't know since I use a mobile OS designed for adults, not armchair techie wannabes.

Although Android does pair well with Microsoft Windows. They both cater to the unwashed masses.

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017
Nope. The article "proving" it's BS, is BS.

There's plenty of thread comments explaining how the test performed does not actually represent UI experience.

Plus I don't need studies to tell me that my older iOS devices (don't) suck, I have firsthand experience. They.Slow.Down.To.Paperweight.

Believe what you want.
I’ll see your personal anecdotal experience and raise you mine. I’ve been all Android since the iPhone 4 and I can confidently say Android is GARBAGE. Longevity, slowdown, battery life, glitchy, awful experience and I can’t wait to go back to iOS.

Doesn’t matter what you or I think.

iOS is growing and not going anywhere. Android is in a race to a declining margins bottom.

Also, the Note isn’t and has never been cheap. I paid over $850 for my note 4 over 3 years ago. After 6 months, the experience got steadily worse. Now, it’s almost unbearable.

Tijdelijk

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2017
I’ll see your personal anecdotal experience and raise you mine. I’ve been all Android since the iPhone 4 and I can confidently say Android is GARBAGE. Longevity, slowdown, battery life, glitchy, awful experience and I can’t wait to go back to iOS.

Doesn’t matter what you or I think.

iOS is growing and not going anywhere. Android is in a race to a declining margins bottom.

Also, the Note isn’t and has never been cheap. I paid over $850 for my note 4 over 3 years ago. After 6 months, the experience got steadily worse. Now, it’s almost unbearable.

Unbearable?
Well my older Android devices are still fast and smooth. I must be lucky again

Bacillus

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
Here is one perspective to your post.
If you think the iPhone is just about the exterior design, you should buy parts for just the exterior shell (the design you refer to) and assemble it and see if you can use it.
And you can buy the parts for far cheaper cost than the new iPhone, you win on price and also have a new phone that you could flaunt as the new iPhone.
Too many people are hung up on exterior design as being the driving factor for Apple to release a new iteration, maybe the same people when they shop for a new car they just buy the exterior shell without the engines and transmissions.
The problem is people annot appreciate or put value towards what they cannot imagine or understand, the case being, the new iPhone is not the same old iPhone.
Apparently you fail to see the fashion and design dimension in high-tech.
People cannot understand that within those billions to develop that new iPhone 7/8, they failed to find a few millions for a new design.
Even if that requires waking up Joni whispering with ApplePark trees (or by now, follow a design semester at Samsung ...)

Last edited:
Reactions: HJM.NL

MrNomNoms

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2011
Wellington, New Zealand
Android statistics are a bit misleading when comparing against Apple. I wonder what the figures are once you take out equation the cheap ZTE phones that are carrier branded along with the low end entry smart phones. It'll also be interesting to see how things play out with Google buying out HTC and formally entering into the hardware market as a serious business rather than in years prior where it was more of a hobby for Google to try out new ideas.

Bacillus

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
Depends on how you count it. Model year 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017.
When you subtract 2014 from 2017 you get 3 but when you are counting in years year 0 is counted as 1 year.
Example the '90's decade 1990 to 1999 is ten years but in car or other model years the year 0 is counted a 1 year.
So a model that came out in say 1990 would be first gen and by 1994 that would be the fifth gen.
At that rate the iPhone X has been released in it's 11th year.
Ah. Combining a Chinese birth date and domestic date of decease might provide us an extra year (+ extra pensioning, .... etc.)

Last edited:

Phonephreak

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2017
Here and there
Every time I see a Galaxy S8 or Note 8, this is what I see. Maybe Shamdung took these idiots seriously when the iPhone 5 was being mocked for going taller.
While I generally agree with this post. You do lose credibility when you use terms like shamsung. The company is Samsung.

I am a loyal iPhone user since the 4s. Currently own a7+. So I’m not a Samsung trill(my new word for a troll and a shrill)

Reactions: kdarling

big-ted

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2013
UK
Android statistics are a bit misleading when comparing against Apple. I wonder what the figures are once you take out equation the cheap ZTE phones that are carrier branded along with the low end entry smart phones. It'll also be interesting to see how things play out with Google buying out HTC and formally entering into the hardware market as a serious business rather than in years prior where it was more of a hobby for Google to try out new ideas.

People purchasing the cheaper Androids would never be able to afford anything in the current Apple range, food, drink and keeping a roof over your head takes priority over the brand of your smartphone

Reactions: fermat-au

Dave.UK

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2012
Kent, UK
You should look up the phrase "unwashed masses" and educate yourself.

I'm well aware of what the saying means, thus my reply. Not sure I'm the one that requires educating.

Incase you haven't look it up, here's the explanation of the saying:

The collective group ("mass") of people who are considered by someone to be somehow uneducated, uninformed, or in some other way unqualified for inclusion in the speaker's elite circles.

cfurlin

Suspended
Jun 14, 2011
I'm well aware of what the saying means, thus my reply. Not sure I'm the one that requires educating.

In case you haven't look it up, here's the explanation of the saying:

Then you should know why I specifically used that phrase in my response to RickInHouston before you chose to jump into the conversation. It has nothing to do with status in society, as you incorrectly implied.

Context is important and it keeps you from looking foolish. Remember that next time.

Dave.UK

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2012
Kent, UK
Then you should know why I specifically used that phrase in my response to RickInHouston before you chose to jump into the conversation. It has nothing to do with status in society, as you incorrectly implied.

Context is important and it keeps you from looking foolish. Remember that next time.

Loving the condescending attitude. :)

So your original post I quoted, lets clear this up then.

I wouldn't know since I use a mobile OS designed for adults, not armchair techie wannabes.

Although Android does pair well with Microsoft Windows. They both cater to the unwashed masses.

Android is not designed for adults?
iOS is not used by armchair tech wannabes?
iOS is not used by the unwashed masses?

Reactions: RossMak

pratikindia

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2014
iPhone is not the most expensive phone in China. It trails Chinese phones by a large margin. Check 8848 and many other phones. They are more than new 15" MBPs.

Gilligan's last elephant

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2016

Referring to the "unwashed masses" is ALL to do with how the person making the statement perceives their own status in society.

Smeaton1724

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2011
Leeds, UK
Apple caters to the rich as well as ''unwashed masses'', the difference being those with money buy the top capacity device and buy the device outright and don't bat an eye, the rest still buy one but usually the lower capacity and pay monthly. That's the thing with tech, it isn't ''that'' expensive to be premium even if you have little money, the questionable thing is when people are putting themselves in to financial hardship just to have the latest iPhone.

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013

Those animojis just scream maturity and sophistication...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.