iOS notifications are still annoying

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jmack549, Jun 13, 2011.

1. jmack549 macrumors 6502

I'm an avid iPhone user, but this baffles me. I really really wish they had done something more like webOS. One of the big complaints I hear is that webOS notifications take up screen real estate. And iOS notifications don't? One thing I really dislike is how you can't quickly swipe away an iOS notification, and it doesn't push the screen down like webOS, meaning it covers up parts of the screen. For instance, if I'm in an app and I'm reaching up to tap the back button and get an email, I have to patiently sit there and wait for it to go away until I can press back. I've accidently opened apps several times because I went to press back and hit the notifications. Here's what I mean:

[​IMG]

Whereas webOS will push up the UI elements allowing you to continue working normally as you get notifications.

[​IMG]

I love iOS, but this is already bothering me after only a week. The whole point of this notification overhaul was so that it wouldn't interrupt you when you get them, and that's exactly what it's still doing.

2. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

I agree. Push the screen down or make the notification only as thick as the title bar.

3. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Submit an Apple bug report. It would make more sense if the screen did move down a little.

4. Kahnyl macrumors 68000

The whiners on this board wouldn't be half as annoying if I actually thought they were giving Apple any direct feedback on their complaints.

5. jmack549 thread starter macrumors 6502

I submitted it as an idea, and I'm not the only one complaining about it. If no one expressed their thoughts, this board wouldn't exist. Don't open threads that you don't feel like reading, or stop whining about whiners.

6. Kahnyl macrumors 68000

7. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

Good response. Isn't the whole point of this forum to discuss these kinds of issues??

8. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

If the UI is pushed up, wouldn't the Back button have been moved off the screen so you still couldn't access it?

9. bigsexyy81 macrumors 6502a

bigsexyy81

Likely will be fixed before iOS 5 is officially released. I can't see Apple glossing over something when it comes to visual perfection.

But like others have said, submit it as a bug.

10. jmack549 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well I just used the term "pushed up" because webOS notifications come in from the bottom, so they push the UI up. In the case of iOS, the notification would push the UI down. Thanks for the clarification.

11. Kahnyl macrumors 68000

Generally yeah, but during beta testing forums like this do more harm than good, I think. People are placated by their posts here and are less likely to mention it directly to Apple.

I've never really taken notice but I'm guessing the glowing bar during calls pushes the UI down rather than covering it. They could use that functionality.

12. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

Maybe rather than pushing up or down it could just shrink the rest of the screen, or change the aspect ratio temporarily while the banner is showing. The only way I can think of that would be totally out of the way would be for the banner to be the same size as the title bar.

13. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

Agreed.. i've seen countless posts saying "i HATE Apple, I can't believe how crappy iOS5 is. my iphone won't sync with iTunes 10.5! iCloud isn't working.".
    BETA anybody?!?!

14. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Ah, I see what you mean. Thank you for the clarification.

Although, if the UI is now "pushed down", we might lose UI elements at the bottom we might want to access. Hmm, guess this is tricky with no easy answers.

15. RoboCop001 macrumors 65816

Or if it's the other way around, wouldn't something at the bottom get pushed off screen?

Otherwise there's going to have to be some sort of definable "pushing" area so only that area moves and the rest of it stays. But then that gets complicated.

I think the best solution is to just have a "swipe to remove" action instead of pushing the screen any which way.

16. Kahnyl macrumors 68000

They already do what's being suggested, so there has to be a reason they didn't implement it like this.

Actually, now that I think of it I've never seen these bars during full screen events like videos or games. How do they show up?

Attached Files:

17. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Right, he meant the iOS UI should be pushed down from the top.

(The UI is pushed _up_ on WebOS because the notifications pop up from the bottom.)

Some of Apple's additions in the past year seem quickly tacked on top of the old UI. Hopefully, this is just a way of playing for time, until they can do a decent redesign.

18. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

Well said. I don't understand members who willfully enter threads they have no interest in, then willfully spend the energy to comment on how they dislike the thread. It is an open forum, and you're free to go in and out of whatever interests you; not every thread will pertain to you.

Anyway, great point about iOS 5 notifications. Hopefully Apple will heed the suggestions in the feedback.

19. Kahnyl macrumors 68000

Who said the thread didn't interest me? I've posted multiple times already.

20. jmack549 thread starter macrumors 6502

Same thing, it will cover up part of the screen.

[​IMG]

21. Kahnyl macrumors 68000

No I mean the glowing bar. If that doesn't work well with fullscreen apps then that might explain why Apple chose not to push the IU down everytime.

22. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

I think the other person is wondering how a phone call shows on screen while playing a game. If the contents is compressed, why didn't they do that with notifications as well.

23. jmack549 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ah I see what you mean. I just tested it, the glowing bar doesn't appear to show at all. So the notification would be useless.

24. VSMacOne, Jun 13, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2011

VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

I think they question was directed to the Active Call lines (or Skype) that show up when you move form the Phone app to a different app. I just looked at it, and content does indeed get pushed down, without affecting the dock or bottom bar.
    I believe the same thing can happen with Notifications in ios5... Maybe next beta?

Interesting.. works fine with other apps, but doesn't show up in games. That makes sense...

25. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

well it has to be assumed Apple does tend to look around these boards and others and if they see the same complaint coming up time and time again they might move on it.
    Hell look back at the complaints about MMS and it took them 2 years to put a basic feature in the phone. Notifications sadly took them 4 years to get up to what I call dumb phone standards and I have to agree with the OP that is still has huge issues. big improvement over the crap they did have but still far from perfect.

I have to agree I am surprised Apple did not leave some type of icon on the screen afterwards like along the bottom. From what I have seen Apple notification system is a poor copy of Android.
    Android a new notifications comes in the top bar were things like battery and notification icons are displayed puts all the information there and covers up the battery after a min it goes down to just an icon.
    '
    why do people keep expecting the UI to change with the next beta release. it is safe to say that iOS5 is featured locked and they are not going to change anything but instead just flush out bugs.