Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

'IP Application Development' Files for U.S. iPad Trademark

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

As first noted by Jesus Tablet, the company that has been registering the iPad trademark internationally en masse has also applied for it in the U.S. We revealed earlier this month that a company called IP Application Development had begun applying for the iPad trademark in mid January.

The company has been loosely connected to an Apple shell corporation called Slate Computing through a similar iPad trademark application in Canada. The U.S. trademark application arrives in the backdrop of Apple interest in contesting Fujitsu's U.S. iPad trademark.

We believe it's likely that Apple is behind the IP Application Development company's actions, though no further evidence links the two companies. Apple is rumored to be introducing their tablet next week at a media event on January 27th.

Article Link: 'IP Application Development' Files for U.S. iPad Trademark Application

Burnsey

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2007
Canada
Watch them come up with a completely different name, perhaps for a completely different device than rumored.

Comment

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
Slate Computing alive and well?

FYI, Slate Computing may be a corporate shell now but about fifteen years ago, it was part of what some call the "forgotten generation" of early pen-based and mobile computing.

Slate Computing was headquartered in San Mateo near the highest concentration of pen computing companies of that era along with Go Corporation, PenWare and Momenta and a few others that burned out their venture funds without much to show for several reasons.

Interesting that Apple may be operating this out of that legacy. That would make sense since all the way back then, they have business plans to have magazines and other subscription type print media run on tablet like devices. I don't think either the technology nor the market was ready for such a concept at that time.

Comment

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1; en-gb; Nexus One Build/ERD79) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17)

What happens if it isn't apple behind it?

Does this company apply for trademarks on behalf of other companies so as to keep things unlinked from the company after the trademark? (I hope that makes sense!) :p

Comment

specify

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2008
bostonians are gonna have a heck of a time distinguishing between ipod and ipad

Comment

CoryTV

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2006
iPad name-- cheaper pricing?

I really think all these things-- custom OS, and now especially the name iPad, means pricing on this thing is much closer to $599 or $699 at most-- Naming it 'iPad' puts it in the same mindet as 'an iPod' -- a consumer accessory device, not a complete computer. And as such, they're going to have price it smack dab between the highest-end ipod and the lowest end macbook. Because that's where the pricing gap is in the Apple lineup. And there's no way they'd introduce an item (iPad) to completely overlap another item (macbook)-- If they're smart anyway.

Comment

QCassidy352

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

specify said:
bostonians are gonna have a heck of a time distinguishing between ipod and ipad

Bwahaha, it's funny because it's true. :)

I'm not wild about it, but it's better than "islate."

Comment

funnyent

macrumors regular
Dec 26, 2007
I was hoping for iSlate. iPad just sounds weird... but I guess the iPod did sound weird to us too when it was first introduced. Can't wait till the 27th! :apple:FTW

Comment
T

The Toddfather

To quote my friend Rob at MaxiMunK.com:

"although i may wait for the iPad minipad...or the full blown maxipad for those days when i'm having heavier than normal downloads."

Horrible name.

Comment

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
Maybe all of Apple's laptop lineup be tablets in disguise. Imagine if your Macbook Pro's display would just come unhinged and be a tablet of the times you need to be extremely mobile. I know it won't happen but it would be neat.

Comment

Not Steve Jobs

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2009
Notice that the company, IP Application Development, could have the acronym IPAD. Apple probably set this up for the sole purpose of filing the trademark, as previously suggested, and had a little joke.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.