Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sodner

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
This is Apple's business strategy. Dish out a new model at least every year with just enough to make many want one. Then release the next slight upgrade about a year later. This is why they are making so much money.

Go hug your quad core Windows PC. Now, don't you feel better?

lavrishevo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
NJ
Would've loved to have seen a memory slot - SD, or similar - for quickly transferring files from my PC to the ipad.

I totally agree. I'm going to hold off for the iPad 3 but I don't know what it's going to take to get Apple to put a memory slot on the iPad.

lavrishevo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
NJ
Impressive if you don't own a iPad and are in the tablet market. If like many you own one,two, or more first gen pads it's a toss-up on the upgrade.

Very true. As I already own a bunch of Apple products, Macbook pro's, iPad, iMac, iPhone's, iPod, yada yada it has become pretty customary for me to skip the immediate slight upgrade and wait for the next slight upgrade. Two slights make a worthwhile upgrade in my book.

PanAm-L1011

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2010
Republic of California
No its not. If anything they will up the resolution and thats about it. The next big upgrade to ipad will be iOS5 this summer. Not sure what you wanted out of iPad2 that wasnt there. We knew higher resolution was not happening because they cant mass produce higher res screens right now.

They did what I expected. I had never intended to get an iPad 2 unless it was more of a major upgrade than I expected. iPad 1 is just fine for me. I don't need cameras and speed isn't an issue on iPad 1 for me. However, if it was major, I would have caved and upgraded now.

I will agree iOS5 will be the next big thing, but I fully believe that we will see iPad 3 in the Fall. Things I expect on that are a better display and no home button. If iPad 2 had done away with the home button, I would have upgraded based on that alone - it's my biggest gripe, I'm always accidentally tapping it while gaming.

Alvi

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2008
Mars
Slight Upgrade!?! It has a cute cover!

Nah, but seriously, It's a nice iteration, I like the thin design, it's reported to be insanely fast, and that cover is actually cool, I don't use FaceTime but it's good to have a camera.
I won't upgrade from my iPad to iPad 2, but I know people that haven't got an iPad yet that will certainly jump on it.

PanAm-L1011

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2010
Republic of California
Utter hogwash. While Apple is indeed the master of the constant upgrade path your assertion that this is a minor upgrade is absolutely absurd. A "minor" upgrade is the iPhone 3G to the iPhone 3GS. This upgrade is far more akin to the iPhone 3GS to the iPhone 4. Practically every aspect of the device has been upgraded except for the screen. This is anything but a "slight" upgrade.

I believe this update is much more akin to the iPhone 3G to iPhone 3GS. This is not that major of an upgrade, IMO.

Last edited:

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
Am I the onliest one who believes this is a quite big upgrade? Multitasking is going to be so much better with the extra ram and web browsing will also benefit from that.

Next is the extra power in speed. Multicore A5 and faster graphics which can really come in handy. It's lighter and thinner: it feels and weighs more like a magazine than like a book. Screen is closer to glass, so a bigger viewing angle. Same great battery life.

Also better video: you can now just play HD files without problem, while that isn't possible with iPad 1.

Illuminated

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2008
Denver
I agree that this is a slight upgrade. My iPad that I got when it first came out nearly a year ago can do all of this stuff (minus camera and A5 processer) once 4.3 is released. My iPad is fast enough, and I have a perfectly good camera on my blackberry.

I'll wait for at least a year and half...or two more updates...so the iPad 4?

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
How about:

Three cameras
Triple core
More more ram (given)
Much better cover
etc etc etc

Yep. That would have done it.

Though for me personally, this is a nice upgrade.

The Nintendo 3DS had three cameras, why can't Apple???
Sarcasm alert.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Honestly, I think this update is future-proofing. It's a matter of upgrading the iPad's internals to what it will live on for the next year. The next update can ride on these internals and thinner side and use the lower component cost to add features. They made it thinner, lighter, and faster, at the same cost. Next update will add features at the same cost while keeping that new thickness/weight/speed standard.

For example- Apple probably couldn't include a retina display because of the combined cost of boosting the internals to drive a 2048 x 1536 display AND including a 2048 x 1536 display. Wanna bet this new graphics chip is capable of it? Now they just need to slap on a new panel for the next update, instead of slapping on the new panel and redoing all of the internals.

slicecom

macrumors 68020
Aug 29, 2003
Toronto, Canada
Am I the onliest one who believes this is a quite big upgrade? Multitasking is going to be so much better with the extra ram and web browsing will also benefit from that.

Next is the extra power in speed. Multicore A5 and faster graphics which can really come in handy. It's lighter and thinner: it feels and weighs more like a magazine than like a book. Screen is closer to glass, so a bigger viewing angle. Same great battery life.

Also better video: you can now just play HD files without problem, while that isn't possible with iPad 1.

While I don't think anyone would argue that its a nice spec bump, none of the things you listed strike me as "big". In the end, there isn't much that the new one can do that the old one can't besides take pictures, which I don't see why you'd be using a tablet for anyways. I'll wait for one with a high DPI screen. THAT would be "big" to me. :)

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
Yea not much of an upgrade. If you have an iPad 1 please do not wait in line on Friday to get the ipad 2. I want to make sure I do not have to wait in line to long or get turned away due to lack of inventory.

Stirolak123

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2010
The Nintendo 3DS had three cameras, why can't Apple???
Sarcasm alert.

Whats the difference between a media consumption device and an all in one entertainment device? Which does the ipad snd which does the 3ds fall into? Cause both cant do any serious work or have final cut, iweb, photoshop, etc. Or even a good wordpress app. So absically theyre the same category right. Even steve jobs never claimed you can get seriousnwork done with it or garage band did he?

rburly

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2009
Florida
Honestly, what I was hoping for was at least 1gb of ram, SD card or mini USB support and of course the screen. I really could care less about the cameras but this is just me. Processor is not bad but I think they could have done a little better.

As was I. If the upgrades you mention here were in addition to the ones given today, I would have considered an upgrade. As is, I'll wait for the iPad 3.

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
The new design isn't that great.

The speed is irrelevant since no one will put out an app that won't run on the original iPad at least for a long time, (most apps aren't even designed for retina display yet) and there's no speed issues with the current iPad.

I've used facetime maybe 3 times total on my iPhone 4, it's a gimmick.

I've never used iMovie on my iPhone and I bought it on day 1.

I've got a MacBook for GarageBand.

No reason for my to buy one, which sucks because I'm desperate to spend 400 quid on a tablet. Guess I'll have to wait another year.

what exactly do you want in a tablet besides a retina screen then?

Rodge3210

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2011
I wasn't too surprised. Most said what needed to be improved and Apple did it. Maybe a few really good upgrades, but mostly expected, ie ram, cameras, etc.

What about 4G? When is that coming? I figured we'd see more on that or be hearing more on that. When will Apple be moving to 4G?

zephyrnoid

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2008
Geneva Switzerland
Apple Practices "Fund by Suckers" Economics

Sadly, Apple does it again. iPad 2 aint that- not even close.With no disrespect intended towards Steve Jobs, the thinner is better mantra was lost on me when MacBook Air was released a few years ago. Today it's about crossover functionality, not replacing print with e-print.
Then there's this truly idiotic obsession with display mirroring onto TV's.
It brings back memories of the ill-fated internet TV concept.Surely you remember that??
The infuriating part is that while a grotesque adapter will send 720P from your iPad 2 to an HDTV, you can't send a signal from your 720P or 1080P digital camera or video camera to the ipad2, so as to use it as a focus assist external monitor or a director's monitor. But why not? The driver circuitry is surely already there and we have an HDMI OUT adapter????
Off all the features missing from tablets, this is the one that leaves a HUGE gap for some enterprising company to fill.
Non computer companies are struggling to keep up with the demand for their $800 plus devices that ONLY display a video signal, it baffles me that Apple can't connect the dots...except in the distant future.
There's more but that will be enough from me for now.:D

Gryzor

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2010
I personally think it's only a slight upgrade and find nothing inflammatory about making that statement but I am sure many consider it major. See, I don't attach my emotions to electronics. Either way I think inflammatory is a bit of a strong word to describe differing opinions. The important part of intelligent post is to not insult or personally attack others, which is just a sign of immaturity. Plus, it's commonplace to make thread titles a little flashy...;)
Your overly-thought out repsonses say it all really. Your thread title STATED AS FACT (to rattle cages, but failing) that iPad 2 = slight upgrade. Wrong. Thinner, lighter, better CPU, gyroscope, front and rear cameras, colour options...sounds like more than a "slight" upgrade to me.

"Two slights make a worthwhile upgrade in my book."

Oh dear...

Ksane

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2010
I think they set the bar so very high with the 1st iPad that there was no way they (or anyone else, face it) could've beat it in any sort of huge way. I'm holding out for iPad 3 but only because I've only had mine 8 months and have no desire to spend another $500 when I don't want a camera anyway.
Good for Apple and good for us. Quit 'cher bithin' lol!

zephyrnoid

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2008
Geneva Switzerland
The FIX... The ADDICTION... The CURE

Apple has tapped into the fundamental decadence of our society. We just want whatever is new, will mortgage our homes ( if we can ) or sell off our first born just to get that quarterly FIX because we are not addicted to productivity, functionality or even that much to usability . We have to feed the addiction and the only cure is an incremental upgrade. Apple knows this and so do we all, but we cover by proclaiming every upgrade is a significant enough upgrade to warrant tossing last years toy in exchange for a shinny new one. It hearkens to the immaturity of the latest generation of Mac users who use their Smart phones, not to nail down jobs or positively change the world, but rather to play games!
As a diehard mid-to late stream adopter, I muse over these incremental upgrades decade after decade.
Apple are clever, they send out the incremental and make as much or more money than if they waited to release the REAL upgrades.
Enjoy your fixes:D

Your overly-thought out repsonses say it all really. Your thread title STATED AS FACT (to rattle cages, but failing) that iPad 2 = slight upgrade. Wrong. Thinner, lighter, better CPU, gyroscope, front and rear cameras, colour options...sounds like more than a "slight" upgrade to me.

"Two slights make a worthwhile upgrade in my book."

Oh dear...

kevingaffney

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2008
Very true. As I already own a bunch of Apple products, Macbook pro's, iPad, iMac, iPhone's, iPod, yada yada it has become pretty customary for me to skip the immediate slight upgrade and wait for the next slight upgrade. Two slights make a worthwhile upgrade in my book.
Spot on. I said the same earlier in another post and got hammered for saying it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.