Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lavrishevo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
NJ
Don't want it? Don't buy it... :rolleyes: Why are you bothered about how other people spend their cash, or how much Apple make?

Who said anything about being bothered? It's just interesting to discuss Apple's ingenious business strategies.

Carouser

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2010
What kind if case is going to scratch less than matte aluminum while still being able to be machined, have similar userfeel, manage heat, look good, be recyclable, and meet price points? Glass, steel, carbonfiber, plastic are out, with the slightly possible exception of a fancy polycarb. Maybe cement or cast iron would be better?

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
Who said anything about being bothered? It's just interesting to discuss Apple's ingenious business strategies.

True, but I think that given the fact that you started this thread with a clearly inflammatory statement (that the upgrade is "slight") it's a little disingenuous of you to be surprised that there was a strong reaction.

Tarzanman

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
I don't (and will probably never) own an iPad, but I think that the upgrade list for the ipad2 is pretty decent for a 1-year refresh.

In my opinion, there just isn't a lot of areas for a tablet to go into/grow into while maintaining the current price point.

Look at full blown laptops or desktops... all that new ones really offer is more speed, more storage and more resolution.

Less(?) weight with the same battery life and faster speed (if true) is definitely worth taking a good look at an upgrade.

$399 for the original iPad is ALMOST cheap enough to entice Apple-ambivalents like myself to consider a purchase.

I would still rather spend that cash on an ultraportable laptop like a Thinkpad tablet... but if the iPad gets much cheaper then the price point will make up for the lack of function compared to a laptop.

PhoneI

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
I'm sorry, but I just don't get it. I think this is a great update to a device that is already the industry leader. You got a razor thin device with extremely upgraded internals, plus video cameras and a few other surprises. When we see the new apps this thing is capable of running most people will be very happy.

Its like people already decided that if the screen resolution stays the same, its a disappointing upgrade. I for one am very excited.

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
Oh, and with the swing of an ax they virtually eliminated and rendered almost every Ipad accessory, useless, not one case will fit this model. That must make the accessory people totally crazy, now they have to make all new models, OMG what a PIA Apple is for these third party accessory folks!

I'm sure it drives the accessory makers nuts having the opportunity to sell new products to every iPad 1 customer who upgrades their device.

lavrishevo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
NJ
True, but I think that given the fact that you started this thread with a clearly inflammatory statement (that the upgrade is "slight") it's a little disingenuous of you to be surprised that there was a strong reaction.

I personally think it's only a slight upgrade and find nothing inflammatory about making that statement but I am sure many consider it major. See, I don't attach my emotions to electronics. Either way I think inflammatory is a bit of a strong word to describe differing opinions. The important part of intelligent post is to not insult or personally attack others, which is just a sign of immaturity. Plus, it's commonplace to make thread titles a little flashy...;)

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
I personally think it's only a slight upgrade and find nothing inflammatory about making that statement but I am sure many consider it major. See, I don't attach my emotions to electronics. Either way I think inflammatory is a bit of a strong word to describe differing opinions. The important part of intelligent post is not not insult or personally attack others, which is just a sign of immaturity.

Oh, please. Feigning innocence is silly. Look at the title you chose:

"iPad 2 = Slight upgrade. Are you really that surprised?"

If your intent was to make a statement of personal opinion you wouldn't have worded it like that. If you're going to stir the pot then at least have the guts to stand behind what you wrote.

lavrishevo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
NJ

If your intent was to make a statement of personal opinion you wouldn't have worded it like that. If you're going to stir the pot then at least have the guts to stand behind what you wrote.

Again, I totally stand behind my opinion. The difference is I don't have any desire to argue with or belittle those who disagree with me. Not quite sure where your coming from my friend but relax, this is just MacRumors...

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008

I'm always amazed that people don't realize that there are words in the English language that you can use in a sentence to differentiate whether you intended a claim to be a personal opinion or a fact. ;)

thedarkhorse

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2007
Canada
The only thing that wasn't upgraded was the screen resolution and storage.
Single core to dual core, increased graphics processor, no camera to 2 cameras, gyroscope, and the shell has been redesigned and is thinner than the iphone. I think there is enough changes there to justify the 2 moniker and call it a second generation, yeah it didn't get everything, but the update was a little more than incremental.

If it were just a "slight upgrade" it would have been more like 1ghz upgraded to 1.2ghz, no camera to 1 front camera and no case redesign

Mr Bigs

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2010
Bklyn N.Y
If it had what you're suggesting, it would cost consumers $2000+

Considering the new design (thinner/lighter), the new processor, new graphics, two new cameras, gyro, upgraded RAM....all at the same price...what did you expect? I for one am surprised at how much was actually included. I only expected a CPU bump and a front facing camera.

For those unable to see the quality improvements, go find a similar spec'd tablet for the same price.
Your acting like it costs Apple what they charge for it to produce it.:rolleyes:

lavrishevo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
NJ
I'm always amazed that people don't realize that there are words in the English language that you can use in a sentence to differentiate whether you intended a claim to be a personal opinion or a fact. ;)

True... ;)

Believe me, if I made the title: In my opinion, the iPad 2 is only a slight upgrade

It would have been buried in a heart beat. It's all in good fun my friend.

lavrishevo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
NJ
Honestly, what I was hoping for was at least 1gb of ram, SD card or mini USB support and of course the screen. I really could care less about the cameras but this is just me. Processor is not bad but I think they could have done a little better.

MTI

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2009
Scottsdale, AZ
Upgrading a somewhat revolutionary device is tricky, particulary in the short attention span generation of consumers. Consider the history of the iPods and iPhones . . . it takes awhile for major changes, like a Touch or iPhone4 to replace the completely overshadow the original.

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
True... ;)

Believe me, if I made the title: In my opinion, the iPad 2 is only a slight upgrade

It would have been buried in a heart beat. It's all in good fun my friend.

In other words, you knew that the title was provocative, even though you've just finished trying to claim otherwise.

But whatever. I'd say that judging by the posts in your thread, the general consensus is that your opinion is in the minority. This was a major upgrade by practically any measure.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Honestly, what I was hoping for was at least 1gb of ram, SD card or mini USB support and of course the screen. I really could care less about the cameras but this is just me. Processor is not bad but I think they could have done a little better.

You mean that you were hoping for a minimum of 1GB but wanted more? What do you use your iPad for to require more than a gigi of RAM?

While they could have done better on the CPU, twice as fast with nine times as fast GPU is really nice.

Krandor

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2010
No, not surprised. iPad 2 will keep Apple at the top of the market for now, but not for the next 12 months. Look for iPad 3 Fall 2011 - that's going to be the real tour-de-force.

I don't think you will see a major hardware refresh in Fall 2011. However, I expect iOS 5 though to make some big improvements to both iPhone and IPad.

thesmoth

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2008
It's no different from the iPad 1 because it still has the stale, ancient, iOS 4.

Once iOS 5 comes out it will shine, but then the iPad 2 is DESIGNED to run with iOS 4 (just like the iPad 1 was designed to run with iOS 3 and runs worse with iOS 4 and multitasking). So i'm going to wait for the iPad 3 that is DESIGNED to run with iOS 5, which will be the first version of iOS worth buying an iPad for (I'm currently using an iPad 1 and once the novelty wears off it is very underwhelming).

NYY FaN

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2009
New York
I think I can wait this gen out for next years model.. I don't really use my iPad much and to me its not a big enough jump to want to spend $500 again.. it is very tempting though. The iPad 2 is a very nice device, I would be all over it if I didn't have the current/old model.

nvcplus

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011
Awww boo hoo. No one is "making" you buy one. No one except you and your poor sense of self control.

jbh142

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2011
Like the title says. For the most part, today's announcements made up one large non event. Nothing to encourage me to upgrade my ipad1 and little else worth talking about. Maybe were expecting too much

Hey even I was looking for every reason to not get an Ipad 2 and go for the Xoom! But with that being said I am leaning toward geting the Ipad 2 now...

I'm sure there will be more announcments in the next 2-3 weeks about otehr tablets coming out this fall.. Quad core ect.. ect... But if you really think about it will be awhile before the software/games will take advantage of it..

I'm even thinking some game developers will wait for Tegra 3 to release to really go at it..

Only time will tell and I'm not a fanboy of either side.. Ijust want a nice tablet to enjoy.. I made myself wait and not get the ipad 1 and I'm glad I did.But I can't wait much longer..

Sn0wball

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2009
England
Would've loved to have seen a memory slot - SD, or similar - for quickly transferring files from my PC to the ipad.

But I'm most likely going to get one as it does a heap of stuff I need.

Where's today's keynote speech? Can't see it on youtube yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.