Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

123254-ipad_4_2_profile.jpg

Digitimes reports that Foxconn Electronics factories have recently been notified that they will ship Apple's iPad 2 within the next 100 days with initial shipments to reach 400,000-600,000 units.
The sources pointed out that the iPad 2 will ship as soon as the end of February in 2011. Apple originally planned to start mass production in January, but because the device's firmware is currently still in testing, Apple has been postponing the schedule. Since Foxconn's new plants in Chengdu are still in pilot production, iPad 2 will be mainly supplied by its Shenzhen plants, while the company's upstream component partners have all been notified of the shipments schedule.
A February launch would be consistent with rumors pegging the iPad revision in the first part of 2011. Other rumored features include a FaceTime camera, gyroscope, thinner form factor, better display and a USB connector.

Article Link: iPad 2 to Ship by End of February 2011?

Last edited by a moderator:

levitynyc

macrumors 65816
Aug 19, 2006
USB connector is not happening.

Its also too close to Christmas. End of March at the earliest

Comment

iOrlando

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
seems a tad bit early. i do expect a much shorter lead period between announcement and ship date, but you want to at least give all the december buyers some time with their 1st gen iPad before 2nd gen is released.

Comment

lloyddean

macrumors 65816
May 10, 2009
Des Moines, WA

Actually a mini-USB socket is a absolute given as the European Union mandated it as the standard recharging method on all cell phones. Of course just because the connector is there doesn't indicate USB functionality.

Comment

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001

Too close to Christmas? You're talking about a company that until recently always announced major products 2 weeks after christmas (MWSF, first week of Jan).

arn

Comment

jb510

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

USB may happen in addition to the dock connector... May... If appl does indeed release it that early infully expect them to keep selling the iPad 1 in parallel. This will in part appease those holiday buyers who will only feel they "over paid a little" rather than they that they bought out dated tech. I'd expect $2-300 discounts on iPad 1's. $200 if the thebpricig for the iPad 2 stays the same as the iPad 1, $300 I'd the iPad 2 is $50 cheaper than existing price pouts which is what I'd honestly expect.

Comment

tmoerel

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2008
Actually a mini-USB socket is a absolute given as the European Union mandated it as the standard recharging method on all cell phones. Of course just because the connector is there doesn't indicate USB functionality.

Like you say.....mandated on all cell phones. And the iPad is NOT a cell phone. Even if it has 3G it still does not make phone calls.

Comment

MacAztec

macrumors 68040
Oct 28, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA
Too close to Christmas? You're talking about a company that until recently always announced major products 2 weeks after christmas (MWSF, first week of Jan).

arn

You the man, Arn!

Sad that Apple isn't attending MWSF anymore. That was a "mecca" for me (from as young as 14), my Dad, and my older brother. We did it for years. After attending the last one 2 years ago, we were pretty sad.

Comment

usasalazar

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2006
Would be nice.

Although a dedicated USB connector is not going to happen.

It's more Apple style to release a $49 dongle for "approved" accessories.

Comment

lloyddean

macrumors 65816
May 10, 2009
Des Moines, WA
Like you say.....mandated on all cell phones. And the iPad is NOT a cell phone. Even if it has 3G it still does not make phone calls.

Sure, you're out and about and need to charge your phone and can use ANY standardized charger, even on the iPhone, but if it's your iPad you're flat out of luck? Not likely that'd be very, very foolish.

Comment

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008

Despite all these little kids who apparently scream "I want an iPad!" to their parents, do you really think that's priority 1 in Apple's thinking? If that was the case, the iPhone wouldn't be revised every year in June-July and the MacWorld thing wouldn't have been in January. Apple is probably more worried about boosting sales and adding features that later competitors have added.

Also, I don't get the "too close to Christmas" stuff. My birthday is in late February. It's two months away. That's a lot of time. That's an eternity in technology.

Comment

wackymacky

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2007
38°39′20″N 27°13′10″W
100 days? they are still just last week releasing iPad 1 in some countries!

Plus excuse me if I have been drinking too much Kool-Aid but first iPad doesn't equal cellphone, and the 30 pin connector supports USB, they just have to throw in a female USB cable as well as the the current male that plugs into the charger.

(I'm not sure if the universal chargers will handle the current to charge the pad though)

Comment

Goldfrapp

macrumors 603
Jul 31, 2005
US&A
Like I said, January, February, March ain't gonna happen!!!!

Apple release their products in accordance with American weather conditions. None of their product releases ever fall on winter. Ever.

Simple.

Comment

Sedulous

Contributor
Dec 10, 2002
100 days? they are still just last week releasing iPad 1 in some countries!

Plus excuse me if I have been drinking too much Kool-Aid but first iPad doesn't equal cellphone, and the 30 pin connector supports USB, they just have to throw in a female USB cable as well as the the current male that plugs into the charger.

(I'm not sure if the universal chargers will handle the current to charge the pad though)

Exactly. I also doubt they will rush to put out the next iPad revision so soon. If anything, a yearly update is likely, with an announcement possible in the near future but no shipping hardware until April/May.

Comment

JeremyC

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2010
This sounds about right.

Firstly, since when has weather ever affected a products release...
Secondly, not everyone celebrates Christmas....

Comment

mauriziocorso77

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
I too hope this is true...I've been holding off buying the first gen because we are so close to the 2nd gen!!! Please be true!!!!!!

BTW, these iPad commercials on the TV aren't helping :D

Comment

Goldfrapp

macrumors 603
Jul 31, 2005
US&A
This sounds about right.

Firstly, since when has weather ever affected a products release...
Secondly, not everyone celebrates Christmas....
Just use your logic a little bit: when is the person likelier to stand in line: in cold cold winter or hot hot summer?

Exactly.

Why would Apple want only 74 people queuing up outside their stores in winter versus 674 in summer?

:rolleyes:

Comment

MacBook08

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2008
California
And?

That was an event where they used to ANNOUNCE, NOT RELEASE products. Get it?

Makes a huge difference.

Not the point. Numerous products introduced at MacWorld were released that same month.

1st Gen. MacBook Air released January 29th. (Announced at MacWorld)
Time capsule released January 15th. (Announced at MacWorld)
17" Unibody MacBook Pro released January 6th. (Announced at MacWorld)
1st Gen. Apple TV released January 9th. (Announced at MacWorld)
1st Gen. Mac Mini released January 22nd. (Announced at MacWorld)
1st Gen. iPod Shuffle released January 11th. (Announced at MacWorld)
iWork released January 11th. (Announced at MacWorld)
iMac G4 released January 7th. (Announced at MacWorld)

End of February doesn't sound too soon.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.