Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jonxwilliams

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2009
I'm really hoping you got a defective one. I was planning to upgrade from Khomo to this Apple Smart Case, but only 5% smarts is a deal breaker.

Wanted to update you on this:

After getting a refund for the first I ordered a 2nd one from this eBay seller on July 8th. I'm sure they're all manufactured at the same place, but figured it was worth trying anyways.

Got the item today - and I am pleased to say that the sleep/wake works pretty much 100% of the time. The magnet is still weak as I described before, but with the sleep/wake working I am pretty darn happy.

Reactions: laela

laela

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2010
Wanted to update you on this:

After getting a refund for the first I ordered a 2nd one from this eBay seller on July 8th. I'm sure they're all manufactured at the same place, but figured it was worth trying anyways.

Got the item today - and I am pleased to say that the sleep/wake works pretty much 100% of the time. The magnet is still weak as I described before, but with the sleep/wake working I am pretty darn happy.
Yeah, I agree. Super happy with mine as well. Just waiting for Apple to make a move now.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
Yeah, I agree. Super happy with mine as well. Just waiting for Apple to make a move now.
I don't think they're going to. The new Smart Covers are designed a bit differently than the 9.7 models--they don't go as far to the edge to meet the point where a back cover would be.

Eric5273

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2009
New Jersey
My iPad Pro 10.5 is supposed to be delivered tomorrow, so this afternoon I went over to Best Buy to see what they had in stock. The case I ended up buying is not the one I figured I would like at first glance...

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/modal-r...d-pro-10-5-black-gray/5714453.p?skuId=5714453

When using my iPad Pro at my desk, I use it with the Apple Magic Bluetooth Keyboard. With my 12.9, I always used a stand. However, I was hoping to find a case for the 10.5 that has a built in stand that is sturdy enough that it won't fall over when I'm tapping on the screen.

Surprisingly, this Modal case has the best built in stand I have seen, short of getting one of those heavy duty thick cases with a built in kickstand. When it is folded into stand mode (the 7th picture shown at the Best Buy link above), the magnets of the cover hold it in place so well that you can lift up the case part by the top and the stand stays folded in place. It's quite a bit more sturdy than the Apple Smart Cover, probably due to the fact that the folded triangle is about twice the size as that of the Apple Smart Cover when folded into stand mode.

Also, when folded back behind the case, the cover has a magnet that holds it in place against the back of the case.

The reviews say that it doesn't function as a Smart Cover, i.e. it won't shut off the iPad when closed. I don't really care about that as I've never had a Smart Cover and I'm used to just pressing the button to turn it off anyway.

The case is made out of the same polyurethane that the Apple smart covers are made out of. As for the reversible function of the case, I don't really care much about that, but I suppose it's nice to set it up so that you don't have to cover the screen with the same side that touches the table in stand mode.

I'll post some thoughts about how well the case fits the iPad when I get my iPad tomorrow. However, there doesn't seem much to go wrong since the case part is so minimal. The only parts that have to be right are the camera hole and microphone. And of course the corners must hold the iPad securely.

Synomenon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2011
Just found and bought the Tech21 back case for 10.5. Just like the 9.7 version, it's great and comes with a pencil holder.

Think it just arrived bc it's not listed on Apple Store online. Yes, it does fit the Smart Covers and Smart Keyboard.

Cost around $69 or so. It's a bit pricey but protects well and is a perfect fit!

How secure is that removable pencil holder?

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
I just can't seem to settle on a back cover for my 10.5" iPad Pro. Here's my experience so far:

My first try was this Moko TPU case: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07238RZRH/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Once they finally sent me one that fit correctly and had a functional sleep/wake button, I realized that I wasn't comfortable using it. It's a nice feeling/looking case, but I absolutely HATE the ridges on the corners. I think they're unnecessary, and I feel like they're going to leave permanent indentations in the top of my Smart Keyboard Cover over time when I use the iPad with the cover folded around the back, as they do press into it in that position unless I hold it a very specific way.

My second try was this Poetic case: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MZ79FAM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I freaking LOVED it at first, but realized after a few days that it's just not a super tight fit, and they didn't put anything on the back to keep it from sticking to the Apple logo. The Moko case had a matrix pattern on the back to keep that from happening. This one does not. Also, the corner where the Pencil cap holder is tends to come off or wiggle around during use. Wiggling corners on cases are annoying at best and can actually scratch up the iPad over time when dust and debris get trapped in there and rub around on the metal.

This will be my third attempt: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071WXGD7F/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It seems to be the one most people are recommending. I chose it because it has a soft lining on the inside (much like Apple's cases) and seems to have the best fit and finish according to customer reviews. I have a feeling I'll find something about it I hate, but since I refuse to use hard cases, this seems to be my last option.

Rique

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2011
Northern Virginia
This will be my third attempt: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071WXGD7F/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It seems to be the one most people are recommending. I chose it because it has a soft lining on the inside (much like Apple's cases) and seems to have the best fit and finish according to customer reviews. I have a feeling I'll find something about it I hate, but since I refuse to use hard cases, this seems to be my last option.

I have that one and like it. I'm still looking for the perfect 360 case, though.

If you just want a back cover, the Khomo you mentioned is quite nice and affordable. I endorse!

UPDATE - I just realized (thanks to baconcow) that the one you posted is similar, but not exactly like the one I own. I own the version which does not include the pencil holder. I expect yours would be the same, just with that added option. YMMV, of course.

Last edited:

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
I have that one and like it. I'm still looking for the perfect 360 case, though.

If you just want a back cover, the Khomo you mentioned is quite nice and affordable. I endorse!
Good to know--anxiously awaiting this one to see if it's the goldilocks of cases for me.

baconcow

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2016

Edit: I realized that case shown is not the one I thought it was and is not the one most people recommend around here. This one is. To anyone with this, is the inside of it soft, or just the back?

If you don't like hard cases, why don't you try the Luvvitt Clear Grip for Smart Cover and Keyboard? It looks better than the Poetic (which I've seen reviews say falls off whenever they remove the Apple Pencil).

Last edited:

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
Edit: I realized that case shown is not the one I thought it was and is not the one most people recommend around here. This one is. To anyone with this, is the inside of it soft, or just the back?

If you don't like hard cases, why don't you try the Luvvitt Clear Grip for Smart Cover and Keyboard? It looks better than the Poetic (which I've seen reviews say falls off whenever they remove the Apple Pencil).
The inside of the one I ordered is covered with a soft material kind of like the old Apple ones. The other one without the pencil holder built in does not have the soft lining. This did make a difference in my decision.

I have been considering the Luvitt one too, but some pictures of it show the ridged corners like the ones I hate on my Khomo case, and some don't. I don't know if the updated one that fits correctly gets rid of those or not.

baconcow

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2016
The inside of the one I ordered is covered with a soft material kind of like the old Apple ones. The other one without the pencil holder built in does not have the soft lining. This did make a difference in my decision.

I have been considering the Luvitt one too, but some pictures of it show the ridged corners like the ones I hate on my Khomo case, and some don't. I don't know if the updated one that fits correctly gets rid of those or not.

Could you point me towards some pictures of the Luvvitt case showing what you are describing? I have only seen ones on the Amazon page.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
Could you point me towards some pictures of the Luvvitt case showing what you are describing? I have only seen ones on the Amazon page.
It looks like they've updated all the pictures now, so those weird corners don't show anymore. In fact, I ordered one to try it out and see if I like it better than the Khomo.

Cancelled
Sep 20, 2008

These are my thoughts exactly with regard to the Khomo cases. My question is: do we know for sure that this Khomo case (https://www.khomoaccessories.eu/products/ipad-pro-10-5-2017-inch-back-cover-companion-cover) indeed has soft material inside while this one (https://www.khomoaccessories.eu/pro...match-for-apple-smart-keyboard-and-cover-gray) doesn't?

I would prefer the second option as I don't need a pencil holder but also don't want to have scratches on the back of my iPad that can be caused by dust and other small particles trapped between the tablet and the case.

Hmmm, Apple has made it so difficult for us this time.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
These are my thoughts exactly with regard to the Khomo cases. My question is: do we know for sure that this Khomo case (https://www.khomoaccessories.eu/products/ipad-pro-10-5-2017-inch-back-cover-companion-cover) indeed has soft material inside while this one (https://www.khomoaccessories.eu/pro...match-for-apple-smart-keyboard-and-cover-gray) doesn't?

I would prefer the second option as I don't need a pencil holder but also don't want to have scratches on the back of my iPad that can be caused by dust and other small particles trapped between the tablet and the case.

I don't get annoyed with Apple very often, but I really am in this situation. I don't like being forced to pick third party options for a solution Apple used to offer. If people weren't buying the back covers, I imagine it was due to price, but I always gladly paid the price for a cover I knew fit perfectly and was designed for my iPad based on units they had in house, not guesses or premonitions.

I found out the hard way with some of my hard shell third party cases for iPads and Macbooks that the hard shells tend to trap abrasive dirt and rub it into the metal (these types of cases tend to shift around more than the TPU options), so I just don't trust them to protect my iPad. With the TPU cases I always end up playing the game I'm playing now--finding the right one that fits correctly and doesn't look like crap. With the Apple brand cases, I always knew I was getting something that was going to make me happy, once I got over the sticker shock.

LibbyLA

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2017

I have the purple Khomo with the companion cover that I cut the front cover off of. I got it rather than the shell because it specifically mentioned rubberized and I liked the purple. It does NOT have any soft material inside the shell. It's the same flexible but firm shell material on the inside as on the outside, a little smoother on the outside than on the inside.

Eric5273

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2009
New Jersey
To follow up on my previous post about the Modal case, I received my iPad today and I really love this case! The stand is the most sturdy of any thin case I've ever used on a tablet. It has the kind of stability that you get with the Apple Smart Keyboard, and is much sturdier than the Apple Smart Cover when folded into "viewing" mode.

The fit of the case is perfect, much like what you would expect from an Apple case. Microphone is perfectly centered in the rear hole, camera and flash hole are perfectly alighted, and the corners of the case perfectly clip onto the iPad enough to hold it while not covering any of the bezel. The parts that touch the iPad are all covered in a soft touch silicon type material that feels similar to the exterior of the non-leather Apple Smart Cover.

As far as protection, this Modal case will not protect much while using the iPad, as it only really covers the 4 corners and rear of the iPad. Unless the front cover of the case is closed, it's not going to offer very much protection if you dropped it on the screen. However, when the case is closed I think it will give a little better protection since the cover overlaps the case part.

Yesterday when I bought the Modal case from Best Buy, I also stopped by the local Apple Store and picked up a Smart Cover along with the Tech 21 frosted rear case ($120 for both!!!). Today when I received the iPad I tried that combo and then the Modal case, and I actually much prefer the Modal case, so I'll be returning the Smart Cover and Tech 21 case tomorrow.

So if you want a very functional case/cover that offers protection against scratches and bumps, yet is very thin and light and extremely functional, this is a great option.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
I'm really glad we had this exchange yesterday, because it prompted me to order the Luvitt with my Amazon Prime account. I just got it this afternoon and popped it onto my iPad Pro, and it is FANTASTIC. The TPU is crystal clear, the fit is perfect, the cutouts line up perfectly, and there is a grid pattern on the inside that keeps spots from sticking to the back of the iPad. I also like that where the cutout is for the ASK, the back comes just about right up flush to where the magnet is. It's just a very premium looking and feeling case.

Drawbacks I guess could be that it doesn't have the Pencil holder like my Poetic case does, but I don't think I was ever in love with that feature once I had it in person. It was nice to have it there, but did make the iPad wider, and make getting the keyboard cover on and off that much more awkward. It also tended to be kind of loose on the edges and would pop off the corner when I put the Pencil back in the holder. The only other possible negative thing I can think of is that my Luvitt cases have yellowed in the past, so hopefully that doesn't happen with this one.

I think it's safe to say that at this point when my Khomo case comes in, it will be returned. I think this one I got today is a winner.

Reactions: OddyOh

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2009
Just got mine today. Took a photo of it with my iPad Pro but could not upload picture because file was too large. No noise from screen scrolling so far and the fit is perfect.

Cancelled
Sep 20, 2008
I'm really glad we had this exchange yesterday, because it prompted me to order the Luvitt with my Amazon Prime account. I just got it this afternoon and popped it onto my iPad Pro, and it is FANTASTIC. The TPU is crystal clear, the fit is perfect, the cutouts line up perfectly, and there is a grid pattern on the inside that keeps spots from sticking to the back of the iPad. I also like that where the cutout is for the ASK, the back comes just about right up flush to where the magnet is. It's just a very premium looking and feeling case.

Drawbacks I guess could be that it doesn't have the Pencil holder like my Poetic case does, but I don't think I was ever in love with that feature once I had it in person. It was nice to have it there, but did make the iPad wider, and make getting the keyboard cover on and off that much more awkward. It also tended to be kind of loose on the edges and would pop off the corner when I put the Pencil back in the holder. The only other possible negative thing I can think of is that my Luvitt cases have yellowed in the past, so hopefully that doesn't happen with this one.

I think it's safe to say that at this point when my Khomo case comes in, it will be returned. I think this one I got today is a winner.

Thanks a lot for sharing your thoughts on this Luvvitt case! It looks great and seems to offer good protection. More info about the case can be found here: http://www.luvvitt.com/accessories/...-case-for-apple-ipad-pro-10-5-in-clear-1.html Did you know that they use "high-quality German Bayer thermoplastic" for it, whatever this means? :)

I am also choosing this case after reading reviews on Amazon and watching this review on YouTube:

Last edited:

HylianKnight

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2017
I have the UAG metropolis for the 10.5 pro. I owned the same case for my 9.7 pro. Only really difference is the new pencil clip on the edge of the case. I'm really not a fan of the new location as it makes the case wider and I don't really like clipping my Apple Pencil to the case—call me crazy. I think UAG had some production issues and poor quality control to start because this is my third one (returned the previous two). The current one I have has a slightly raised and somewhat sharp plastic edge along one of the joints of the injection old into process. Not really sure how else to explain it. Any good method for smoothing this out? I really don't want to drive to Best Buy to return the darn thing again if I can avoid it.

[doublepost=1500530325][/doublepost]
I have been following this thread and I also ordered this case for my 10.5" IPP. Glad to hear it is so nice as mine has not arrived yet. I got the coffee brown color for something different. Wondering if it has the Apple logo on the back? No biggie either way but that would be sweet if it did. Also, how is the typing angle? For the time being I have been using that hideous UAG Metropolis case until this one comes in and that case - in spite of having a million 'features' - has no typing angle. they push it as being Smart Keyboard compatible but so what? Not everybody wants a Smart Keyboard and it's ridiculous they could not have incorporated a third crease in the cover to work like any other similar case.

Looking forward to receiving this case even more now! Thanks for the great info and enjoy yours!
People keep saying the UAG has no typing angle, but it does. I had the 9.7 metropolis for over a year and never had any issue with the typing angle shown in the picture.

[doublepost=1500531560][/doublepost]

Wish the khomo without the holder had the soft material.

How do I get it to stop merging my posts?!?!?

Attachments

• IMG_1616.JPG
    IMG_1616.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 136
Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
How do I get it to stop merging my posts?!?!?
You don't, its part of the forum software to avoid making multiple posts in a row in a short span of time.

Btw, what those links you provided as they go to google and states that I need to ask permission. If they're images the forum software permits you to upload those images

kart

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2011
AU
Finally got my hands on the Khomo clear plastic case, had to wait for it to get to Aus. Brilliant case, cannot fault it. Works flawlessly with the ASK. All holes line up perfectly. Couldn't be happier.

Bill P.

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2007
I have had the Kavaj Berlin case (not the London case) on several iPads. Sadly, Kavaj said in an email that they will not be producing the Berlin case for the 10.5.

Agreed, I received the same email today. I have the Berlin case on my mini and iPad2 and really like the durability and quality. I imagine that the narrow bezel is the issue.

asleep

macrumors 68040
Sep 26, 2007

Is the material itself tacky like Apple's silicone case for the 9.7 or is it harder, more slippery like plastic cases?

Only thing I don't like about the KHOMO smart case is it's back/edge surfaces are more slick than tacky, even though the matte finish implies otherwise.

You don't, its part of the forum software to avoid making multiple posts in a row in a short span of time.

Brilliant idea.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.