Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is preparing to update three of its iPad models in 2022, including the entry-level iPad, iPad Air, and iPad Pro, according to Bloomberg's Mark Gurman.

ipad-air-arrive-feature.jpg

In his latest "Power On" newsletter, Gurman reiterated Apple's plans to release a new iPad Pro in 2022, featuring a new design and wireless charging, and clarified the company's intention to release new versions of the entry-level iPad and iPad Air.

The entry-level iPad received a moderate update this year, adding the A13 chip, True Tone, and a 12MP ultra-wide front camera with Center Stage for video calls. Apple has released new versions of the entry-level iPad every year since 2017, often with minor specification and chip upgrades to maintain the device's low price, so a new version for 2022 is in line with previous years. That being said, there is as yet no indication of what the tenth-generation iPad could feature.

Initial rumors suggested that this year's entry-level iPad would feature a thinner design in a chassis similar to the iPad Air 3 and larger display, but this failed to materialize with the device's launch in the fall. It is not beyond the realm of possibility to speculate that this design could instead be headed for the tenth-generation version of the iPad.

While there were initially multiple rumors of an iPad Air with a Samsung OLED display for 2022, this device was reportedly canceled and it appears that the next iPad Air will stick with LCD technology.

Other rumors about the fifth-generation iPad Air have been scant, but it seems highly likely that it will at least be brought up to spec with the iPad mini. The iPad mini features the A15 Bionic chip, 5G connectivity, and Center Stage. All of these aspects debuted in Apple devices after the fourth-generation iPad Air's introduction in September 2020, but with the iPad Air now being without an update for over a year, Gurman's report reaffirms the future of the device in the iPad lineup.

Gurman also shared details about Apple's Mac and Apple Watch launch plans for 2022 in this week's newsletter.

Article Link: iPad Pro With Wireless Charging, iPad Air 5, and iPad 10 Reported to Debut in 2022

Last edited:

Morgenland

macrumors 65816
May 28, 2009
Europe
Personally, I have a few current iOS devices, but never use the wireless charge stuff because that method is too slow and inflexible for me.
I would love to see Apple add some real innovations to the next iPads:

If the front-facing camera wasn't always placed so far to the side in FaceTime the caller wouldn't look past in a correspondingly dismissive manner. Apple understandably hasn't yet managed to integrate a camera in the center behind the display (after all, Apple has applied for patents for this), but an appropriately installed camera pair facing each other (with image processing) would perhaps be able to do so.

That would really be a step forward.
After all, what do you think in the real world when you talk to someone who is not always looking directly at you?

Last edited:

MayaUser

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2021
Captain Obvious predictions if you ask me. I say updated chips for everything.
it was obvious that the ipad pro will get redesign and wireless charging ? No, it wasnt, and we learn that the next ipad pro will have that from him and KUO...he just summarise everything we can expect in 2022 in one article
come on....dont be that guy...that hero who shows up after the war :)

Alp3r

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2015
iPad mini 8 needs to come out with fixed jelly scroll, or in landscape mode instead.

MayaUser

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2021
“In 2022 apple will update their product line“ - GreenBreadmmm apple insider
really? 24" imac will be updated? the 14" and 16" macbook pros will be updated? the airpods will be updated and we will have airpods 4? i guess not so your statement is wrong

dantracht

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2013
it was obvious that the ipad pro will get redesign and wireless charging ? No, it wasnt, and we learn that the next ipad pro will have that from him and KUO...he just summarise everything we can expect in 2022 in one article
come on....dont be that guy...that hero who shows up after the war :)
OK, I retract my captain obvious crack.

dantracht

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2013
I am wondering how suitable the current MagSafe puck is for the much larger iPad?

The current iPad Pro with Smart Connector is already 'kind of like' using MagSafe - I keep my 11" Pro mounted in the Magic Keyboard and seldom use a charging cable for it.
I forgot that the magic keyboard charges the iPad as well, am I right?

Reactions: Unregistered 4U

Phil77354

Contributor
Jun 22, 2014
Pacific Northwest, U.S.
I forgot that the magic keyboard charges the iPad as well, am I right?
Correct. And it is very convenient since it adds charging port on the left, so when the iPad Pro is mounted on the Magic Keyboard you can connect the charging cable to either side.

Which reminds me that what I said before wasn't quite right since I'll plug into my iPad from either the left or right depending on how I'm using it . . .

Reactions: phoenix303

dantracht

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2013
Correct. And it is very convenient since it adds charging port on the left, so when the iPad Pro is mounted on the Magic Keyboard you can connect the charging cable to either side.

Which reminds me that what I said before wasn't quite right since I'll plug into my iPad from either the left or right depending on how I'm using it . . .
Cool, if they weren't so damn expensive I would have gotten one for my Air 4.

Reactions: phoenix303

Phil77354

Contributor
Jun 22, 2014
Pacific Northwest, U.S.
Cool, if they weren't so damn expensive I would have gotten one for my Air 4.
You're right there! It was kind of an impulse purchase for me, but I keep my Pro mounted to the keyboard all the time, and it is often handy to have the keyboard in place. It does more than double the weight of the iPad so its not for everyone!

Reactions: snipr125

one more

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
A big iPad Air fan, the only thing I would really want to improve in it would be its screen. IMO, OLED would be great, with its deeper and more uniform blacks. Will be curious to see what they come up with.

Reactions: snipr125

JPack

macrumors G3
Mar 27, 2017
I am wondering how suitable the current MagSafe puck is for the much larger iPad?

The current iPad Pro with Smart Connector is already 'kind of like' using MagSafe - I keep my 11" Pro mounted in the Magic Keyboard and seldom use a charging cable for it.

The coil in the puck is too small for high power charging and probably limited to 20 or 25W max. It would need to be enlarged to deliver more power.

t0rqx

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2021
I think with that much contained and still leashed M1 and soon M2 power in iPad’s. The iPadOS needs to change to make it a great device for productivity. It definitely could get to new heights and possibilities for Pro users!

Reactions: dantracht

dantracht

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2013
You're right there! It was kind of an impulse purchase for me, but I keep my Pro mounted to the keyboard all the time, and it is often handy to have the keyboard in place. It does more than double the weight of the iPad so its not for everyone!
I mostly use my iPad for nighttime reading, so the magic keyboard was something I talked myself out of. With an M1 MBA, a 2015 13" MBP, and as of tomorrow my long-awaited M1 Max 16" MBP (squeal) a keyboard for my iPad air was just not needed. Hope you're enjoying yours though!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.