Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GDF

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2010
Wireless charging on a 12.9 iPad Pro does not excite me. What is the point of that and how big would the charging puck have to be?

Reactions: psxp

svish

macrumors G3
Nov 25, 2017
Pro iPad with wireless charging would mean glass back. So this could allow Apple to bring colours to iPad Pro. But being a ‘Pro’ device, chances of this happening are less. Maybe it could come in Space Grey and Silver like iPhone X.

psxp

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2008
Unless Apple offers unrestricted AppleCare+ worldwide, and even so, No glass back for me thanks. It’s already painful in iPhone. MagSafe but in usb c format please (not expecting more ports)

PS: I’m guessing wireless charging will be through new Magic Keyboard.

You can just use one of the magnetic USB C port/cable adapters. I have see a few on Amazon.

jmgregory1

macrumors 68030
Pro iPad with wireless charging would mean glass back. So this could allow Apple to bring colours to iPad Pro. But being a ‘Pro’ device, chances of this happening are less. Maybe it could come in Space Grey and Silver like iPhone X.
I wouldn’t assume that wireless charging for an iPad means a Qi-based puck charger. Think more about a MagSafe cord style charger, exactly like the current MBP chargers. As it is today, if you use a Magic Keyboard case with the iPad Pro, and plug in the USB-C power cord to the keyboard, you’re wirelessly charging the iPad because it’s using the Smart Connector for charging. Adding a power receptacle on the edge of the iPad could easily make MagSafe from a MBP charger work.

Go further with this idea and you could have the same MagSafe charger work on iPhones too. Ditch the Qi coil and heat it generates.

orbital~debris

macrumors 68020
Mar 3, 2004
UK, Europe
I am wondering how suitable the current MagSafe puck is for the much larger iPad?

The current iPad Pro with Smart Connector is already 'kind of like' using MagSafe - I keep my 11" Pro mounted in the Magic Keyboard and seldom use a charging cable for it.

How easy it it to remove the iPad from the magic keyboard - can it be done with one hand or do you need to use another hand to hold down the magic keyboard?

Thinking this might be where the current MagSafe puck could have an advantage, in that you can easily pull it off the back of a face-down device, single-handed.

mansplains

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2021
Won’t exactly fit on your average charging puck, and aligning it would suck, so probably only reasonable for MagSafe. And if they are going to do MagSafe I’d much rather have support for the mac’s MagSafe 3 cable on ipads.
Must have MagSafe Duo support!

mansplains

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2021
Every time I go to the Apple store and play with the iPads there, I still can't find a reason to upgrade from my 2017 iPad Pro 12.9. I remember a friend and their kids were visiting and they had this old iPad that was no longer getting updates, but they sure had a lot of fun playing games on it. iPads are just built to last, they are killer devices. Sure, if you are the techy enthusiast and need to have the latest and greatest, even though minimal you always find the reason to upgrade; more power to you. But for the average user who these devices originally targeted, in most cases when you have one already your upgrades are always gonna be long in the tooth. No matter how many here in the forums and Tim Cook wants to spin it, they are glorified media consumption devices.
As soon as the 12.9" size debuted I wanted it. I ended up getting the 2nd gen. At some point the size felt cumbersome to me, and I really like FaceID, so I opted for a 2nd Gen 11" Pro. Not even a year later I sold the newer model. The redesign and improvements to iPad Pro didn't keep me. I still have my 12.9" iPad, although I've been leaning towards selling it since iPadOS is hot garbage to me.

jmgregory1

macrumors 68030
How easy it it to remove the iPad from the magic keyboard - can it be done with one hand or do you need to use another hand to hold down the magic keyboard?

Thinking this might be where the current MagSafe puck could have an advantage, in that you can easily pull it off the back of a face-down device, single-handed.
The iPad comes off the MK very easily. You just have to lift at an angle up and away from the MK to break the magnet bond. There is no way Apple will use a Qi-style puck charger with the iPad, because it would simply be adding cost and complexity - you’d still need the existing USB-C port and Smart Connector pins for use with a Magic Keyboard. A charging puck wouldn’t be usable for anyone using a MK, which itself already offers wireless (USB-C port-less) charging through the Smart Connector.

Reactions: orbital~debris

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Wireless charging on a 12.9 iPad Pro does not excite me. What is the point of that and how big would the charging puck have to be?

I would think they might come up with (or even come with) a charging dock/like device.

I would like to see waterproofing.

_Spinn_

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2020
Wisconsin
Sounds like MagSafe is coming for the Pro? That charging puck would look so small on the back of an iPad.

I would think they might come up with (or even come with) a charging dock/like device.

I would like to see waterproofing.
Yeah maybe something like the charging stand the old webOS TouchPads had?

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Bump the iPad Air to the point where the 11" iPad Pro isn't necessary anymore. Like, give the Air the 11" Pro features such that one could look at it as them just dropping the price of the latter and giving it the name of the former. The two already have a ton of overlap (TouchID over FaceID, slightly larger bezels, Thunderbolt, and the refresh rate seem to be the only differences inherent to the two; the SoC gap can eventually narrow to the point of non-existence).

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
Not interested in an iPad Pro with wireless charging. Especially since Apple could make some tweaks to bump up the initial charging wattage under USB-IF PD 3.0 to as high as 40 watts over the USB Type C connection.

FriendlyMackle

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2011
NYC
Correct. And it is very convenient since it adds charging port on the left, so when the iPad Pro is mounted on the Magic Keyboard you can connect the charging cable to either side.

Which reminds me that what I said before wasn't quite right since I'll plug into my iPad from either the left or right depending on how I'm using it . . .
I always consider getting one of these, as the Magic Keyboard looks perfect for positioning the tablet for reading. I don’t like the standard iPad folio/Smart Cover for reading use, as I don’t think it holds the heavier iPads very well in an upright position. I guess I’d call it a 120 degree angle.

So I primarily want it as a stand (LOL), but of course the keyboard would be useful at times. But I don’t do too much typing on my iPad (except for here)!

jmgregory1

macrumors 68030
I always consider getting one of these, as the Magic Keyboard looks perfect for positioning the tablet for reading. I don’t like the standard iPad folio/Smart Cover for reading use, as I don’t think it holds the heavier iPads very well in an upright position. I guess I’d call it a 120 degree angle.

So I primarily want it as a stand (LOL), but of course the keyboard would be useful at times. But I don’t do too much typing on my iPad (except for here)!
The Magic Keyboard with the iPad Pro is great, I’m typing on it right now. I really like how I can keep the keyboard plugged in to the charger but not the iPad. I used a 90 degree turned USB-C cord so it doesn’t stick out from the MK and then I can just grab the iPad whenever I want for writing, photos, general iPad things. It’s not ideal for every situation because the angle adjustment is finite, but when taken as a whole, the keyboard, trackpad and additional charging port make it great.

Reactions: FriendlyMackle

VaruLV

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2019
I really dont care about slower charging through wireless, I dont even care about wireless charging at all.

What I do care about on my 12.9 M1 iPP is lack of 3.5mm port as well as additional TB port.

Its a pro device that many pro's rely on, so why not revamp the design just like with latest MBP's and making it true work tool.

I would love at least either 3.5mm+USB4 40Gbps or, even better, 3.5mm+2x USB4 40Gbps.

But, I could wait, no plans on changing this bad boy iPP of mine any time soon.

Reactions: ericwn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.