iPad Still Coming to Verizon?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Silicon Alley Insider reports that it has received information from Clayton Morris of FOXNews.com claiming that Apple and Verizon are still in talks to bring the iPad to Verizon's wireless network. An Apple-Verizon partnership for the iPad had been the subject of many analyst claims and rumors in the months leading up to the device's introduction, and many observers were surprised to see that only AT&T was announced as a cellular data provider for the iPad.
Apple is working with Verizon on a version of its iPad tablet, despite Apple only announcing an AT&T partnership, according to Fox News Channel's Clayton Morris, who just spoke with a Verizon source.
No additional details are given, although Morris is reportedly in the process of preparing an article for publication on FOXNews.com.

Morris has become a relatively frequent commenter on Apple and the iPad, having claimed confirmation of Apple's media event as early as late December (albeit off by one day) and noting that it would be focused on the "mobility space". His source was incorrect, however, in its claims that the media event would include discussion of iPhone OS 4.0 and iLife 2010. Just days before the event, Morris' source claimed that both AT&T and Verizon were in last-minute discussions to offer service for the iPad.

Article Link: iPad Still Coming to Verizon?

miknos

Suspended
Mar 14, 2008
At least the GSM can be used in the whole world.

I hope my comment is the first!

Friscohoya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
Oaktown
Makes Sense

Once ATT loses its exclusivity contract, people will want flexibility on carriers. Particularly, they will not want to have to pay a phone bill to one company and then a data bill to another.

paulyras

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2006
Singapore
At least the GSM can be used in the whole world.
This is exactly why it won't go to Verizon. It's possible that they're using a multi protocol chipset, but if someone does a teardown on day 1 and finds out it's not, I wouldn't hold my breath.

Keep in mind, the whole reason the 3G is taking longer is to get it through the FCC. At the very least it'll be delayed on Verizon, but I really have a hard time seeing them go through the hassle for one country.

Let's say they sell 2 million in year 1 with half in the US. What would be the incremental business gained by catering to verizon? Specifically the people who will not buy one on ATT, but would on verizon. 100K? 200K? Probably not much more. Would they really go through all of that work and separate manufacturing for a 10% increase in sales?

It's not like there's number porting issues or that they're locked into a contract on another network like with phones...

I'm done now...

...Oh wait- For those who say they will never buy one unless it goes to Verizon, but would buy one on verizon day one, I'm highly suspect of most of your claims (though I can see specific situations, like no coverage with one, but coverage with the other).

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
Pros:
Verizon 3G network better than AT&T's.

Cons:
Still doesn't matter as I'm not paying $15-$60 per month for limited data needs outside of WiFi range.

AT&T should get smart and offer bundled iPhone/iPad data plan for $40-50 per month unlimited or a Pay as you go model with 250 MB for $x.xx and you refill it when it runs out. Otherwise, I'll take WiFi only, use my iPhone only when I can't get WiFi and invest that $130 model price difference in larger storage capacity.

nickdelvecchio

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2010
AZ
Finally.

I Hope this is true. I'm holding out strong to wait for apple to creep over to Verizon and this could be the bridge(or the beginning). I love the IPhone but moved from ATT just because of the service. Verizons been nothing but wonderful. I will give ATT credit though. the only time I have seen them beat out Verizon in coverage was in the middle of nowhere in a mountain range in northern Arizona.

jfox00

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2008
and so begin the "iPad" to verizon rumors...

I know, I know, this is "MacRumors". Just when I thought all of those iPhone to Verizon rumors would die down, now we have a new device to start rumors about. The device isn't even available yet, and we have our first Verizon iPad rumors circulating. I wonder what we'll talk about if Verizon ever does adopt the iPad and the iPhone.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.6; en-us; Archos5 Build/Donut) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1)

miles01110 said:
Verizon doesn't want its own network shortcomings to be exposed :p
What would they be? (Please don't say voice and data, especially when this is about the iPad)

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
When Steve said that the AT&T pricing was remarkable on the iPad data plan at $15 and $30 per month rather than $60, sorry, but that is for full fledge usb dongle internet service on a laptop, not a low use item like the iPad.

You want remarkable AT&T:

a. All iPhone customers paying a data plan get iPad 3G coverage included in what they already pay!

b. All iPhone customers can get WiFi only model and tether their iPhones.

Unless one of those situations was announced, then it's not remarkable.

Give me Pay as you go refill model with months to use it up or I'll take a WiFi only but no way I give AT&T another $15 or $30 a month.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
I love FoxNews' emergence as a primary apple information source!

I speculated that maybe AT&T has actually managed to get their exclusity agreement extended based on supporting the iPad in the way their are. Without contract, perhaps even with a kickback to Apple on the monthly 3G fees collected.

NoExpectations

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2008
Shame on you Verizon

Verizon is stuck for several years with CDMA.......no vendor wants to engineer and build multiple versions of their premier products. Apple (iPad), Amazon (Kindle), and Sony (eReader) have all chosen HSPA-3G.....this is the global standard.

Verizon has now blown it twice.......first in 2007 with the iPhone and now in 2010 with the iPad.

Verizon should have offered Apple, Amazon, and Sony full engineering support (read $s) for CDMA versions of their products.

For now, Verizon must wait on the sidelines until 2014 when their 4G footprint is large enough to support these devices.

Verizon........enough of the rumors, false hopes, and scare tactics to keep your customers from defecting.

Sad.....very sad.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.6; en-us; Archos5 Build/Donut) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1)

miles01110 said:
What would they be? (Please don't say voice and data, especially when this is about the iPad)

Err... what else is there on a cellular network?
So the inibility of using voice + data would expose a Verizon weakness on the iPad, even tho the iPad can't do voice calls.... Confusing.

Robert M.

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2010
If I was in the market for a 3G iPad, I'd wait for the Verizon one. But I'm just getting the base model! :cool:

skellener

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2003
So. Cal.
Apple is working with Verizon on a version of its iPad tablet, despite Apple only announcing an AT&T partnership, according to Fox News Channel's Clayton Morris, who just spoke with a Verizon source.
Ha! Don't count on it! :D

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Verizon CDMA? So much for the idea of an "unlocked" iPad then. Not only it would be locked to a single provider, it's locked to 1 country too. Unless it will be using LTE, but that's a given for a future product, nothing surprising.

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
So the inibility of usinc voice + data would expose a Verizon weakness on the iPad, even tho the iPad can't do voice calls.... Confusing.
Verizon's ad campaign is centered around their geographic coverage, which is largely meaningless as they've got the same amount of network resources in the major population centers as AT&T. Under heavy load (like say... from the iPad) their network will creak and groan just like AT&T's does.

And the voice isn't really significant compared to massive data loads.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.