Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sven Seven

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2018
Hello,

I know the question of fast transfer speeds with iPads has been discussed at various places on the internet and on this forum. But I only found discussions about file transfer using that Lightning-to-USB3-adapter where the iPad is the host.

Can any of you developers confirm that there is an iPad (or iPhone?) where Xcode installs at USB 3 speed?

I measured the time and found that my 2 GB app is transferred to the iPad Air 2, iPad 2018, iPad Pro 10.5" (2017), and iPhone 8 plus at USB 2 speed. It takes about 1m13s on the iPad Air 2, and slightly less on the iPad Pro.
The waiting time is excruciating, I wonder if other devs have a solution or workaround.
My computer is a Macbook Pro Retina 15" (2012) with USB 3.0 ports.

This support article (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT209186#computer) describes how to connect the new iPad Pro models that come with a USB-C port. But it does not mention the connection speed.

I wonder if an Xcode installation could be compared to an iTunes sync. Any experience on this?

Long story:
For 3 years now I have maintained an ever-growing app which has now reached a size of about 2 GB.
There is this strange behaviour in Xcode:
My app has an AU app extension, so according to the sample code the project has a shared framework which is shared by the app extension and the main app target. The largest chunk of data is within the app extension target (because the AU needs to access sound data when being loaded within another host app).
Whenever I change a single line of code in the shared framework, next time I press Cmd+R Xcode copies ALL FILES from the app extension target even though these were not modified!
One would think Xcode only installs modified resource files, but no. Apparently the algorithm treats the app extension as one entity.
I filed a bug report 1-2 years ago but I think Apple moved it to the bottom of the list.

Thanks for your good feedback.

Last edited:
Reactions: upandown

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
It is my understanding that USB3 speeds are only available on cables that are USB-C to Lightning. I could be way off base but I believe this to be the case.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
It is my understanding that USB3 speeds are only available on cables that are USB-C to Lightning. I could be way off base but I believe this to be the case.
Nope. USB-C to Lightning still runs at USB2 speeds. 2017 iPad Pros can work as USB3 host (for flash drives, SD cards, etc with the requisite adapter) but from previous tests done by other members, it doesn't work as USB3 client.

Only the 2018 iPad Pros support faster speeds when connected to computers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.