Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

melman101

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2009
No I thnk it's a great upgrade. But I only really use my iPad for web browsing and while the retina display will be nice, honestly I don't feel it made that big of a difference for me. I still have to enlarge on iPhone to read certain websites. And I never use the cameras on this. LOL

I will most likely buy iPad 4 :). Enjoy iPad 3 purchasers :)

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
what reports are you referring to because the Apple hasn't released any info about the RAM. if you read between the lines, the fact that they didn't mention the RAM at all in today's event strongly indicates that the RAM will probably stay at 512.

as for the OP, there is more to the new ipad than retina... you're getting a lot of bang for the buck for no price increase but i think there's much less incentive for an ipad2 owner to buy the new model unless you have a big emphasis on the display.

i'm kinda happy that the RAM will remain the same, apple just saved me some money. if they had upped the RAM to 1GB, i would have likely bought it later this year. i expect that the next ipad release will have 1GB and that's when i'll upgrade next.

...ummm, all reports point toward a doubling of ram from 512KB to 1GB

lilcosco08

macrumors 65816
May 27, 2010
Dayton
Yep. I sold my iPad2 in anticipation to get the iPad3 now I'm not even sure I want to get it. They didn't even add any more ram. Could have easily made it a more worthwhile update.

Why'd you buy an iPad 2 then? This is update is much more substantial than from iPad-iPad 2.

pure3d2

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2012
You're doing what Android fanboys do--judging by specs alone. Why don't you wait until you've had a chance to try it out first?

I recently played with one of those quad core Android tablets. Guess what? The experience sucked. They still can't manage to get the rubberband scrolling motion right (it's jerky). I had to really think to figure out how to get around in the UI. When you have to think more than 5 seconds how to navigate a UI, the UI is a failure.

Remember that Apple's products are never about specs alone--they're about giving you a great user experience.

coldpower27

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Its practically law around here that people with the previous generation will say the new product doesn't wow them. I have an original iPad and the 3 is pretty damn sweet. I'd totally pick it up if I didn't have a severe drug addiction that pre drains all my money.

Yeah if you already have the iPad 2, it isn't hard to skip this generation entirely.

All the upgrades don't matter to me besides Retina Display and I ain't upgrade just for that... if it had been Retina + 128GB then ok..

Next year hopefully we will see this reality.

Still sitting on a 3rd Gen Touch as well, come on Apple 128GB upgrades for iPod Touch and iPad...

Last edited:

MR1324

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2010
once people get their hands on this thing and benchmark them properly, then everyone will be silent about the 'horrible upgrade.' money speaks louder than words and it is pretty clear each ipad iteration becomes a success.

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
Horrible....hmm

Could it be worse than that? I don't think so. So it's as bad as it can get?
Unbelievably horrible perhaps would be worse, but not much.

This is not good :(

iMoo

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2010
the logic of what this post is saying gives every right for him to vent his opinion, weather this is right or wrong we can only tell.

If the actual processor is the exact same 1ghz dual core (rather than 1.5ghz which i thought it would be) then indeed with the higher resolution there would not be a performance gain but a hit if any. Unless software has been improved to make the overall experience smoother. but indeed the extra res will require more horsepower should the software be identicle. people who have updated to 5.1 with the original iPad are noticing smoother experience and less crashing which makes me believe that indeed alot has gone into the software iOS.

Same with graphics, if you get a monitor for your PC that his higher res then your fps will drop slightly if the gpu is working harder to display the higher res.

HOWEVER;
Now that the tablet iOS is maturing and coding getting better to address memory leaks etc. Also the developers are getting better with thier apps, this will make less an impact on the proposed specs by looking at them on paper.
If the iPad can better address how it handles data and how it spreads the workload between GPU and CPU then the overall feeling of the device will be better. I believe that most things now head towards being more GPU heavy than CPU especially with the type of apps coming out and extra res.

Chasing specs is for the people with PC's and wads of cash to burn. But in a tablet it's a balance between performance, user experiance and price/profit margins. Not just chasing specs for a stat sheet. remember there is also the battery life to think about also.

Overall i think it is well balanced. The only thing i was dissapointed on is that they did not have a front camera to math the res of the screen for full res Facetime....but that will be saved for the 4 :O)

basesloaded190

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
Wisconsin
I remember vividly that people said this very same thing when the iPad 2 was announced. Then Apple went ahead and sold 15 MILLION in one quarter.

chukronos

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2004
Colleyville, TX
I was hoping for a retina display with the ipad2. So for me, the new ipad is exactly what I was waiting for. AND, I am stoked for the camera. Mainly for video. I was not impressed with the camera on my wife's ipad2. Having a nice hi res screen to view while filming in HD seems like a real plus to me.

Millionin20s

macrumors regular
May 10, 2010
If you want to use the iPad as an ebook reader or browse Web pages with small text, Retina is definitely a major upgrade. I tried the original iPad for ebook reading and found the fuzzy text unsatisfactory. I skipped the iPad 2 because of the same screen resolution. Today, I pre-ordered the iPad and can't wait for March 17th.

It really is a case of to each his own as already stated.

Nicely stated.

Spinnetti

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2005
Kentucky
Not only does it suck, but I slipped in my office chair and when my credit card hit the keyboard, it accidentally ordered a 32 gig with LTE and a smart cover! How could this happen!

Honestly though, at $800 bux, Apple has got to be laughing all the way to the bank. Its got to cost 1/2 what the iMac does, so the margins must be huge! We have an iPad1 which is fine really. We just watch movies on it :) I do think it was a good move to keep the pad2 with a lower price point - that should syphon off some of the e-reader market.... I was hoping for haptics on this gen.. maybe next time...

Detrias

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2011
what reports are you referring to because the Apple hasn't released any info about the RAM. if you read between the lines, the fact that they didn't mention the RAM at all in today's event strongly indicates that the RAM will probably stay at 512.

I must have missed when apple advertised the iPad 2 ram upgrade

baypharm

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2007
Yep. I sold my iPad2 in anticipation to get the iPad3 now I'm not even sure I want to get it. They didn't even add any more ram. Could have easily made it a more worthwhile update.

Exactly, 64gb won't even hold what I need. It is soooooo 2010...

robbie12345

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2011
United States
i don't care at all that this thread has been voted down this much, i expected it would have been worse :roll eyes:

though my point is the iPad is going to take a hit in performance if any and that makes for a bad upgrade i do like the retina but will not upgrade

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
I'm starting to realize that complete redesigns mean absolutely nothing. Sure they outer shell could look different but the Retina Display, A5X, and LTE, are enough for me to upgrade. Whether or not I recoup any money for my iPad 2 is irrelevant, but better graphics on my iPad then what's on my Samsung 3D TV is mind blowing to me. Just because the design stays relatively the same doesn't make this device a 2S. :apple:

PhoneI

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
So let me get this straight....

1. Best screen ever on a mobile device
2. Updated processor, gpu, ram
3. LTE capabilities
4. Awesome new and updated apps

And this is considered a poor update? You guys are crazy.

phyrexia

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2010
The bald gentleman with Epic Games stated in the keynote that the iPad had "more RAM than the XBox 360 or PS3". The XBox has 512MB, so it is not unreasonable to assume >512MB.

----------

The event today wasn't all that exciting to me at all, kind of like the Iphone 4s release.
And I have an apple tv2, so the 1080p thing on the new improved model means zip to me.

What are you saying here? Your ATV2 doesn't do 1080, only 720.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.