Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlexESP

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2014
I have to disagree on almost everything.

First of all, I highly doubt about W11 being a touch-friendly OS, basically because I heard the same about W10 and it’s almost impossible to make a good touch interface on the foundation of a mouse based UI. You still have resizable windows (which many people here like, but are horrible for a tablet), small controls, etc. I give the benefit of the doubt, but I’ve seen this movie before and I have already seen W11 videos.

And Android support won’t solve anything. You’re saying that iPad apps aren’t powerful and expect Android apps to solve it? Which aren’t even designed for tablets? That’s even worse than Apple putting iPad apps on the Mac.

Apple got clear from the beginning that if you want a tablet to be an alternative to the traditional computer, you have to offer something different, better in some aspects. It needs a reason to exist. In case of the iPad, that’s a lightweight device with direct input, no default orientation, without legacy stuff like ports, complex file system, security issues, infinite viewports to adapt, etc. I honestly think it’s impossible to turn Windows (or Mac) into that, no matter how hard you try.

Of course it’s more difficult to port some apps with that approach (like FCP, Logic or Xcode), but it’s the right way. Because, if not, you end up just having a traditional computer, that’s how almost everyone uses a Surface. Maybe it’s not even possible/not optimal to find a solution for those apps (if you have to turn it into a traditional computer in order to have them, what’s the point?), but we already have a lot of new pro uses outside of the usual suspects (development, video editing, etc.) that are only possible/better on the iPad and take 100% advantage of its power: AR, graphic design, monitoring…

TLDR people forget too quickly, we already had that debate 10 years ago and the iPad concept won. If the iPad is going to be a boring and difficult to use device, then it has no reason to exist. And because of all that, it’s a very successful device, so Apple is not going to commit suicide and put macOS on it.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
I love iPad and use it every day, and have done so since launch day with the iPad 1. I use it as a computer replacement for most of my non-work stuff. I also own a Surface Pro X. I installed Windows 11 on the Surface Pro X.

Microsoft has made the entire user interface touch friendly, with a vastly improved touch typing experience as well as swipe gestures. And I'm honestly surprised at how bug free it is. I always think of iOS as something that "just works", and I love that reliability on my phone, and it's more or less there too on the iPad, but W11 surprisingly is also very bug free-- especially for a beta.

I honestly never thought I'd see the day where Microsoft beat Apple at making their flagship operating system touch friendly. But as it stands the Surface + Windows 11 looks like an iPad killer to me. IMO, The iPad has historically been so good that it hasn't really had competition. I think this is about to change and it's going to be really good because Apple will be forced to up their game and give us real functionality in iPadOS!

The iPad with its beautiful hardware is stuck in almost a prison with a painfully crippled operating system. You can have your M1 but can't even do basic things like easily sign PDFs or navigate the file system properly. In contrast, my entire windows and linux development environment runs flawlessly on the Surface Pro X. It's capable of running Windows software, Linux software through WSL (CLI + GUI) and x86 and amd64 software via emulation. And soon Android app support. All with a touch friendly interface. It puts the ipad to shame. iPad may have mind blowing faster hardware, but it doesn't matter at all because you just can't do very much with it compared to the Surface.

With Windows 11, Microsoft is taking on both Apple (the iPad) and Google (with Android support).

Apple will have to retaliate now by opening up iOS even more over time. Make no mistake, the Surface + Windows 11 is currently a real iPad killer. And it's only going to improve as Windows 11 officially launches, as the SQ3 chip is released in the Surface lineup this year, and as Android support is added to W11.

As this ^ unfolds people are going to pay attention and Apple is going to lose market share to the Surface. They will have to throw us some meat to make us happy and compete. I'm very excited!
I believe Android app support will not be as exciting as the marketing made it seem like.

First, it's not Google. There's zero Google apps as Microsoft only uses Amazon App Store. Simply go to Amazon Apps store and see what's available. Not too great. This will end up like majority of non GMS app stores (Samsung App Store, Huawei app gallery, etc). They are just there but forgotten. And even if there's an app that you want in Amazon App Store, how would they translate the touch gestures using a mouse? Imo Microsoft is just doing this so they can claim they have xxx number of apps on Windows "Store" and that they're "open" (to distract the regulators).

SQ3 won't be even close. Do you really think Microsoft can come up with a chip in just 3 generation that can compete with Apple's (who already custom-made their chips for a decade)? I'm sure in the future, they will, but not with the SQ3. And this is not about tackling the iPad. Microsoft is transitioning to ARM is to lockdown Windows, creating a more vertical integration. You can already see their efforts from Windows RT, UWP, 10S, etc. Basically Microsoft simply tries to shift Windows users into the habit of downloading apps from a "store."

I'm not excited on Windows 11. Windows 11 is basically the anti-thesis of Windows. Strict hardware requirement, pushing people to buy new computers, sounds like Apple. I wouldn't be cheering for Windows 11.

dtantono

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2021
Microsoft announced first class support for Android apps. They're able to do this via hyper-v. It's going to be GPU accelerated as well. It should work very similar to WSL which has very good performance, so running Android apps on Windows 11 will work out of the box.

W11 makes the entire OS touch friendly just like the iPad, so a lot of the frustrating usability issues are resolved!
next month, GMS will kneecap this android sideloading on Windows 11 by replacing apk with aab file except Windows 11 want to support GMS.

Last edited:

adib

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2010
Singapore
Microsoft is going to help? MS Office on iPad is severely limited even when compared to the Mac – and that's supposedly an application suite that Microsoft makes significant money from.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Surface pro X is no competition to iPad pro.
1. The battery life of the cheaper Sq1 is terrible, and only the $1500 Sq2 (without keyboard or pen), which has a bigger battery, is closer to iPad battery life (but the performance barely improves)
2. The native performance is not even close to 2018 A12X and emulated performance is even worse
3. It's quite a big heavier than the 12.9in iPad pro
4. As a desktop system Windows on Arm is not a complete Windows replacement, as some important apps like Dropbox can't run on it, not even emulated.
5. Windows 11 is trying to make the OS more "touch friendly" by reducing options or burying them into hidden menus, which makes the OS less productive in general. Personally I won't be installing it on my Surface Book 2 until something really compelling arrives. And Android apps are not something I want on Windows, I see no point.

Only a few enthusiasts are buying the pro X and it's no threat at all to iPad. Unfortunately, because Apple has zero incentives to open up iPadOS more.
Maybe the performance element could be addressed at the end of next year with the new Qualcom chip that is supposed to be competitive with Apple Silicon (we'll see if that's true)

PS for those who don't know SQ1 and SQ2 are just rebranded (slightly modified) versions of Qualcomm 8CX (gen 1 and 2, performance is almost the same between the 2), which is in turn a modified version (higher clock and TDP, but same number of cores) of the Snapdragon 855 in the Samsung Galaxy S10

Reactions: BillyiPad95

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I love iPad and use it every day, and have done so since launch day with the iPad 1. I use it as a computer replacement for most of my non-work stuff. I also own a Surface Pro X. I installed Windows 11 on the Surface Pro X.

Microsoft has made the entire user interface touch friendly, with a vastly improved touch typing experience as well as swipe gestures. And I'm honestly surprised at how bug free it is. I always think of iOS as something that "just works", and I love that reliability on my phone, and it's more or less there too on the iPad, but W11 surprisingly is also very bug free-- especially for a beta.

I honestly never thought I'd see the day where Microsoft beat Apple at making their flagship operating system touch friendly. But as it stands the Surface + Windows 11 looks like an iPad killer to me. IMO, The iPad has historically been so good that it hasn't really had competition. I think this is about to change and it's going to be really good because Apple will be forced to up their game and give us real functionality in iPadOS!

The iPad with its beautiful hardware is stuck in almost a prison with a painfully crippled operating system. You can have your M1 but can't even do basic things like easily sign PDFs or navigate the file system properly. In contrast, my entire windows and linux development environment runs flawlessly on the Surface Pro X. It's capable of running Windows software, Linux software through WSL (CLI + GUI) and x86 and amd64 software via emulation. And soon Android app support. All with a touch friendly interface. It puts the ipad to shame. iPad may have mind blowing faster hardware, but it doesn't matter at all because you just can't do very much with it compared to the Surface.

With Windows 11, Microsoft is taking on both Apple (the iPad) and Google (with Android support).

Apple will have to retaliate now by opening up iOS even more over time. Make no mistake, the Surface + Windows 11 is currently a real iPad killer. And it's only going to improve as Windows 11 officially launches, as the SQ3 chip is released in the Surface lineup this year, and as Android support is added to W11.

As this ^ unfolds people are going to pay attention and Apple is going to lose market share to the Surface. They will have to throw us some meat to make us happy and compete. I'm very excited!

If you think that the Surface + Win 11 is the real iPad killer then it seems like you have a very limited exposure to the technology that is available today. Especially since Win 11 isn't even out yet. (no the insider previews don't count)

To start, there isn't "one ring to rule them all" device. People's needs and expectations are so different, that it is impossible for a single device to capture a large percentage.

Depending upon a person's needs, the lowly Amazon Fire HD 10 can be an iPad killer. It has full and proper support for external keyboards and mice, USB peripherals, external displays, and because of its Android base, the ability to mimic desktop-like workflows.

Or take a step up to a Samsung Galaxy S tablet. With S-pen, keyboard, and DeX, it too functions well beyond what is available for the iPad.

Chrome OS-based tablets are slowly being released. They can not only do all that the Android-based devices can do, they are surprisingly capable at running Linux apps.

For $1400 (Surface Pro X + Keyboard + Pen) it better be able to do more than an iPad. :p

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Windows 11 is trying to make the OS more "touch friendly" by reducing options or burying them into hidden menus, which makes the OS less productive in general. Personally I won't be installing it on my Surface Book 2 until something really compelling arrives. And Android apps are not something I want on Windows, I see no point.
Wow. I’m surprised your not installing Windows 11… it looks like a promising update. Not sure what you mean by hidden menus?

Tbh… When I first seen the title, I thought @thefriendshipmachine was going to mention Office suite from Microsoft is going to save the day. I’m on the TestFlight on some Office apps and Microsoft is really trying to make the iPad a viable option for Office users.

But as much as I like Windows 11 and Surface Pro/Book line… I won’t be replacing my iPad Pro with it. I value the Apple ecosystem that the iPad gives.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Wow. I’m surprised your not installing Windows 11… it looks like a promising update. Not sure what you mean by hidden menus?

Tbh… When I first seen the title, I thought @thefriendshipmachine was going to mention Office suite from Microsoft is going to save the day. I’m on the TestFlight on some Office apps and Microsoft is really trying to make the iPad a viable option for Office users.

But as much as I like Windows 11 and Surface Pro/Book line… I won’t be replacing my iPad Pro with it. I value the Apple ecosystem that the iPad gives.
watch this video to see what I mean
I don't like all the things Windows 11 is removing... but I may change my mind depending on how it evolves

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
[...]
[...]
I totally dislike the tablet interface on my surface pro, but to each their own on the opinion of that.

polyphenol

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2020
Wales

I guess a Surface 7 is a similar device - albeit older and Intel.

If Microsoft fixed all the issues I have, I'd give them a lot more credit:
Almost every time there is an update, Bluetooth devices (mouse being main one) work for a while then stop. Requiring uninstall, re-pair;
Seeing Wifi options is often slow and confusing with some SSIDs simply failing to appear for many minutes;
Device runs too hot to be comfortable;
Keep getting Autorotate box appearing - which suspends keyboard input - for no apparent reason;
Keyboard frequently disconnects for no apparent reason;
Camera keeps switching on and remaining on forever - red and white lights. Was listening to something and wanted to carry on whilst I had a bath. Not exactly a shy prude, but I did not like the idea of a seemingly live camera possibly pointing at me and mine;
Windows Hello (Face ID) is so many miles behind my iPhone I prefer typing in a PIN. On the phone, I rarely have an issue. On the Surface, I rarely have success.

That is just current issues... Maybe the Pro X has resolved all of them?

MauiPa

macrumors 68040
Apr 18, 2018
Windows on ARM works very well, and x86 and amd64 emulation works well too. The SQ3 comes out this year, and WoA will have first class android support with no instruction emulation required. All of this is a threat to apple.
LOL. but it clicks, I love that click

Username-already-in-use

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2021
What app do you use to do that?
I can’t speak for Mcckoe (and would be interested to know what s/he uses), but I use a program called ‘Jump Desktop’ from the App Store.

For the 5% of things that my iPad doesn’t do, I interact with an old Windows laptop in my house via Jump Desktop on my iPad Pro + magic keyboard. Another thing I added was a £3.79($5) dummy HDMI dongle so that I could remotely interact with the laptop with the lid closed (tricks Windows into thinking an external monitor is attached so it doesn’t turn off graphics drivers).

It works really well. Next year I will probably replace the laptop with a Mac Mini and use the same setup.

Attachments

• 20210706_131159.jpg
    20210706_131159.jpg
    635.7 KB · Views: 95

Nikhil72

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005
I still don't understand arguments about iPadOS being severely limited. I do 100% of my work on my iPad Pro (effectively text entry and medical chart management with billing and patient communication); I do all my photo editing via Lightroom mobile; I manage the household via the iPad (contract signing in PDFs, financial management); I manage investment portfolios purely via iPad and iPhone. Beyond that, the screen detaches for me to kick back with a movie, read a book, or browse the internet and read longform articles.I don't struggle with any of these tasks, and with recent multitasking enhancements, I can have a dual split screen set of apps + slide over apps + a PiP app and now QuickNote. I cannot for the life of me think of why I'd want MacOS hobbling the breeziness of iPad and I truly believe only those truly stuck in an old school desktop-first OS mindset who are unwilling to flex to the lighter interactions of iPad are the ones who want some bastardized hybrid model. I have an M1 MBP; it gets turned on maybe twice a month, and my enthusiasm for use just isn't the same, and I was born and raised on MacOS.

Flabasha

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2011

Already happened for me… I’m 48, a creative professional, and never owned a Windows computer, until now. I got so f@*%ing frustrated with not being able to find files I sent to my iPad Pro, I did the unthinkable…I decided to try a Galaxy Book Pro 360, just as an experiment, figuring I’d probably hate it and return it… I haven’t touched my iPad Pro since. It’s now on Craigslist, soon to be followed by my $4,500 16” MacBook Pro. I’ll still get an M1 Mac mini, just to have a Mac, but that’s it.

It took an insanely bad Apple OS to drive me to Windows, but that’s just how profoundly awful iPadOS is.

Nikhil72

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005
I'm curious; why is the file system hard to navigate for people? Complex finder-level functions, I get that there are limitations for the small niche power user market, but navigating to files; saving and recovering them; renaming/moving/sorting them; sending documents via the files app, those functions are there and quite standard. Markup allows for PDF annotation and signature right in the Files app as well as in any app using the Files extension without duplicating a thing. If people have an issue with having to launch a corresponding app to launch a document rather than use a document to launch an app, again that's a paradigm issue where someone is unwilling to change their traditional FILE-oriented OS paradigm and is trying to demand an OS flex to them rather than the other way around.

Flabasha

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2011
I have full blown OS running on my iPad Pro, right now. No windows required, just streaming natively from my mac mini. If you need more from your iPad than iPadOS can offer, either buy a MacBook, or a Mac mini and share your desktop. People need to stop bitching about iPads so much, either use something else, or find a solution to use it how you’d like. There are simple solutions for almost all the “wishes” i hear about what an iPad should be able to do.
Before I resorted to buying the Galaxy Book, I tried all the apps for remoting into my MBP from my iPad Pro. The latency using pro apps (Photoshop, Resolve) was untenable.

The frustrating thing is, you’re right in a sense, MacOS works just fine on an iPad, Apple could release that tomorrow and completely unlock the power of the iPad. But it’ll never happen. They want customers like me, dudes who buy a $5K MacBook Pro AND a $1K+ iPad Pro.

They’re just gambling people won’t do what I did, and buy a Windows tablet. It’ll be interesting to see how that bet plays out.

Reactions: Mendota and RedRage

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Before I resorted to buying the Galaxy Book, I tried all the apps for remoting into my MBP from my iPad Pro. The latency using pro apps (Photoshop, Resolve) was untenable.

The frustrating thing is, you’re right in a sense, MacOS works just fine on an iPad, Apple could release that tomorrow and completely unlock the power of the iPad. But it’ll never happen. They want customers like me, dudes who buy a $5K MacBook Pro AND a $1K+ iPad Pro.

They’re just gambling people won’t do what I did, and buy a Windows tablet. It’ll be interesting to see how that bet plays out.
very few current Apple customers will do that

Flabasha

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2011
I'm curious; why is the file system hard to navigate for people? Complex finder-level functions, I get that there are limitations for the small niche power user market, but navigating to files; saving and recovering them; renaming/moving/sorting them; sending documents via the files app, those functions are there and quite standard. Markup allows for PDF annotation and signature right in the Files app as well as in any app using the Files extension without duplicating a thing. If people have an issue with having to launch a corresponding app to launch a document rather than use a document to launch an app, again that's a paradigm issue where someone is unwilling to change their traditional FILE-oriented OS paradigm and is trying to demand an OS flex to them rather than the other way around.
For me, I tried for months to send illustrations back and forth between Photoshop on my MBP, and Procreate on my iPad Pro, and constantly be unable to find them once they made it to iOS. The last straw was trying to install fonts on my iPad… having to navigate between AnyFont, then import to garbage-iOS-version Photoshop, then try to share with Procreate, when all the apps are sandboxed from each other… it was a constant nightmare.

Reactions: Mendota

Nikhil72

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005

So far, I’d say it’s playing out completely fine. iPad sales are up, the newest generation are still hard to come by in store, a vast majority of users don’t need to execute particularly complicated tasks compared to the niche tech forum-browsing user, and Surface device sales aren’t particularly stellar from the sales data actually published. And if anyone has tried kicking back with a Surface without the keyboard attached when they want to relax, it’s not the most inviting device for the average (again non-techie) user. For every person who wants a complicated MacOS level setup on their iPad, there are 10 people (kids, older adults) who appreciate the iPad for what it already is.

Reactions: grandM

Nikhil72

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005
For me, I tried for months to send illustrations back and forth between Photoshop on my MBP, and Procreate on my iPad Pro, and constantly be unable to find them once they made it to iOS. The last straw was trying to install fonts on my iPad… having to navigate between AnyFont, then import to garbage-iOS-version Photoshop, then try to share with Procreate, when all the apps are sandboxed from each other… it was a constant nightmare.
Fantastic that Macs were able to do this already! I completely agree that the iPad is not going to be for every type of user. AirDrop to files, choosing the save location, and then opening them in Procreate is a pretty straightforward workflow but definitely distinct from the Mac approach. There was also Sidecar as an option, using your iPad to extend the mac’s display and offer drawing capabilities. For your workflow, either saving a copy to Files before moving onto the next app or opening in the next app is fairly straightforward. That being said, happy you have something that’s working out for you

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
Windows 11 and Microsoft are going to have little to no effect on sales, mindshare, or what software is on the iPad Pro or the iPad. iPads are tablets at their heart; that's why they're so popular. Windows 11 is just another re-skin of the same old crap. You can't put lipstick and rouge on it and instantly make it good on tablets. It's just not going to happen.

Mcckoe

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2013
Opinions like yours never make a lot of sense to me...

Why should people stop trying to expand the boundaries of technology??

When the iPhone launched Steve Jobs was against third party apps. People complained and pushed Apple to expand the envelope. I can't imagine the iPhone growing to where it has today without third party app support.

The industry as a whole is moving to more convergence between tablets and traditional computers. There is no way to slow that march as you see with Windows 11. Apple is holding back, but I'm not convinced they can hold back forever. Well they could, but they'd end up losing their position in the tablet market if they do outside of specific workflows that are stronger on iPadOS (like digital art).

No matter where the industry goes or where Apple goes. People asking for the boundaries to be pushed is a healthy and good reality.
Trying to expand the boundaries of technology, WTF are you talking about? In this case, the “technology” already exists, has existed for a long long time, and your complaining about problems that have already been solved. Lets go back a bit: your saying Apple is holding back, but give no evidence this is actually happening, even though your convinced it can’t happen forever. I currently have on my Mac Mini: OS, Windows XP/7/10, and a version of Linux all running on my iPad. You can remote in to your Mac mini from your iPad(and it feels exactly the same as at the terminal). I can also remote into my PS5 and XBSX from my iPad. My kids can do all this as well with their iPads and iPhones too. So, what is the limitation I’m hitting? And what is Apple holding me back from? Keep in mind, this isn’t some new found thing, we’ve had this same setup for a while(minus the game systems of course). If a device can do the things you want it to, but your not willing to put in the effort or money to set it up properly; you can hardly hold the device or company responsible for your laziness.

Last edited:

Flabasha

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2011
It’s not. There are no game changer apps like Procreate, Vectornator, LumaFusion.
Uh… the actual apps that those iOS apps are trying to emulate are certainly killers. I love Procreate, but it’s no match for Photoshop or Clip Studio. And LumaFusion is a Tonka toy compared to Davinci Resolve or Premiere, or AVID. Just try importing ProRes files into LumaFusion ?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.