Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

moxier

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2011
FLORIDA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

I read good notes does work with it? My ipen should arrive in a few days

The only app presently available that works with the iPen is GhostWriter... there are several forthcoming apps that will operate with it... (see the print from Cregle in the last view that I posted - it tells what apps are in the progress of adapting the iPen).

----------

Moxier, thanks for taking the time to post a "learning curve" review. So many times I see end-user reviews that either are from someone who really hasn't yet mastered the gadget or doesn't put it through enough paces to reach a defensible position on their opinion of same. You've done a good job on both.

Thanks!

And thank you for taking the time to be gracious.

note235

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2007
The only app presently available that works with the iPen is GhostWriter... there are several forthcoming apps that will operate with it... (see the print from Cregle in the last view that I posted - it tells what apps are in the progress of adapting the iPen).

----------

And thank you for taking the time to be gracious.
on the kickstarted website it says that goodnotes will work with it now since there are commonalities with the other pen

moxier

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2011
FLORIDA
on the kickstarted website it says that goodnotes will work with it now since there are commonalities with the other pen

I have GoodNotes... and I cannot make it work or even recognize the iPen... maybe I am missing something? :confused:

I went to the site and read the review... they were saying that ONCE the app GoodNotes is updated it will probably out perform GhostWriter because it already can use the iPen that ByZero produced... (which is twice the price btw of the Cregle iPen).

Last edited:

moxier

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2011
FLORIDA
Here is a recent update from Cregle:

Re: delay issue

The inking delay results from either app algorithm or iPad models. iPad 2 is much powerful than iPad 1, so the inking delay will have less effect in iPad 2. We are aware of the delay issue in Ghostwriter Notes. Ghostwriter told us they will fix this issue in the coming release. If you have further questions, you can reach them at: support@majorspot.com . Their support will help you to use iPen in their app.

Every app has different inking algorithm with its pro and con. We had tested Noteshelf beta as shown in the following video. The inking delay can almost be ignored. Noteshelf iPen version will come out this month.

----------

Here is another video review that was also upload a few hours ago...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4dlGmAdxDs

The calibration is waay off. This is getting me sad. :(

I know exactly the problem in that video... the person who clicked on the calibration dot had their pen straight up and down... and therefore when he writes with it the point is off.... I did the same thing several times... until I learned to hold the pen in my "writing position" and then the dot is correct when you write with it. Notice how he ends up holding the pen straight up and down in the end of the video and the track is correct.

MortalDays

macrumors regular
May 29, 2010
Here is a recent update from Cregle:

Re: delay issue

The inking delay results from either app algorithm or iPad models. iPad 2 is much powerful than iPad 1, so the inking delay will have less effect in iPad 2. We are aware of the delay issue in Ghostwriter Notes. Ghostwriter told us they will fix this issue in the coming release. If you have further questions, you can reach them at: support@majorspot.com . Their support will help you to use iPen in their app.

Every app has different inking algorithm with its pro and con. We had tested Noteshelf beta as shown in the following video. The inking delay can almost be ignored. Noteshelf iPen version will come out this month.

----------

I know exactly the problem in that video... the person who clicked on the calibration dot had their pen straight up and down... and therefore when he writes with it the point is off.... I did the same thing several times... until I learned to hold the pen in my "writing position" and then the dot is correct when you write with it. Notice how he ends up holding the pen straight up and down in the end of the video and the track is correct.

Oh, and BTW... I have absolutely nothing to do with Cregle... I am just trying to be honest about the iPen and its usage. :D

It is kind of sad to not know way before hand that only ONE app (out of the 10 listed on their website) works with iPen as of right now. I know they said its gonna take a few weeks to get the updates for other apps to go through. But discretion from the company official website would be nice. Looking from the current reviews, considering that the iPad 3 has the same dual core chip as the 2, iPen would most likely has the "delay" calibration as seen in the video. I guess it is gonna take a while for Cregle to get their acts together to sell an acceptable product to the consumers who anticipated.

I will probably use my newly ordered Jot Pro as a backup, and be on the look out for the 30 days money back guranteed for iPen if it is deemed necessary.

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
As I guessed earlier in this thread, the actual performance of the iPen is going to be entirely dependent on how well the SDK integrates with any given program. Fast and Crappy integration will equal, well...lag.

I suspect a developer will need to do far more than just shove the SDK into their app to make good use of the iPen's features. Just look at the iCade game developers. It will take awhile.

HOT, and I don't mean the pen. :D

LOL...but she seems to have problem counting to 3 when she gives it stars.

Still, agreed...very pretty woman!

Untitled-31-823x1024%28pp_w461_h573%29.jpg

Last edited:

jackwins

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2008
It is kind of sad to not know way before hand that only ONE app (out of the 10 listed on their website) works with iPen as of right now. I know they said its gonna take a few weeks to get the updates for other apps to go through. But discretion from the company official website would be nice. Looking from the current reviews, considering that the iPad 3 has the same dual core chip as the 2, iPen would most likely has the "delay" calibration as seen in the video. I guess it is gonna take a while for Cregle to get their acts together to sell an acceptable product to the consumers who anticipated.

I will probably use my newly ordered Jot Pro as a backup, and be on the look out for the 30 days money back guranteed for iPen if it is deemed necessary.

I would think the quad-core graphics within the processor would better the "delay".

MortalDays

macrumors regular
May 29, 2010
As I guessed earlier in this thread, the actual performance of the iPen is going to be entirely dependent on how well the SDK integrates with any given program. Fast and Crappy integration will equal, well...lag.

I suspect a developer will need to do far more than just shove the SDK into their app to make good use of the iPen's features. Just look at the iCade game developers. It will take awhile.

LOL...but she seems to have problem counting to 3 when she gives it stars.

Still, agreed...very pretty woman!

i think this would be a better topic than the iPen. ha. :rolleyes:

Manilae

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2010
I am still not sure to order it. shipping to germany is pretty expensiv and im not sure if there wont be a better solution in the next time.. are there other stylus which work like the cregle ipen or are there others in the making ?

moxier

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2011
FLORIDA
Cregle uploaded a video of the iPen being used with Noteshelf last night to its Youtube channel: iPen in Noteshelf

Looks like when Noteshelf goes live it will have 9 calibration points. Hopefully that will make a big difference.

When you watch this video... it simply outdoes the GhostWriter hands down.

I almost wonder if the video is sped up some?

MortalDays

macrumors regular
May 29, 2010
I am still not sure to order it. shipping to germany is pretty expensiv and im not sure if there wont be a better solution in the next time.. are there other stylus which work like the cregle ipen or are there others in the making ?

Jot Touch by Adonit which is coming by the end of March or sometime in April. I just received my Jot Pro from Amazon (the UPS guy just dropped by). But the only problem is that I don't have an iPad to test it on. :rolleyes:

JotPro.jpg

Friday would be the day.

Manilae

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2010
I saw a review about the Jot Pro and found the clapping on the screen caused bye the plastic pretty annoying :-/

MortalDays

macrumors regular
May 29, 2010
I saw a review about the Jot Pro and found the clapping on the screen caused bye the plastic pretty annoying :-/

Just tested the Jot Pro on my 4S with SGP Ultra Crystal Screen Protector on. It writes pretty good. The plastic hitting the glass sound is pretty minimal and it depends on how you write. Overall, it is very responsive but one thing I have to say. The plastic disk does get dirty easily. But I am pretty confident that my SGP UC protector will withstand scratches pretty good.

Manilae

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2010
Just tested the Jot Pro on my 4S with SGP Ultra Crystal Screen Protector on. It writes pretty good. The plastic hitting the glass sound is pretty minimal and it depends on how you write. Overall, it is very responsive but one thing I have to say. The plastic disk does get dirty easily. But I am pretty confident that my SGP UC protector will withstand scratches pretty good.

is there a chance that it scratches the screen without a screen protector ?
im really not sure if i will buy a screen protector cause im just to dumb to install it :-D

MortalDays

macrumors regular
May 29, 2010
is there a chance that it scratches the screen without a screen protector ?
im really not sure if i will buy a screen protector cause im just to dumb to install it :-D

i would strongly advice you to have a screen protector before your first use of ANY stylus since any dust accumulated on the stylus tip (even the stylus is brand new) has a pretty good chance of scratching the screen. As I said before, I highly recommend the SGP Ultra Crystal since it is very easy to install and the anti-scratch layer of the screen protector.

It is like using a stylus on your reading glasses. :rolleyes:

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
My iPads have been on construction sites for 330 of the past 365 days. I use a variety of stylii. No screen protector, not a single scratch.

Seriously, unless you are talking diamond dust, screen protectors are for the super OCD only. Not necessary in the least.

moxier

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2011
FLORIDA
My iPads have been on construction sites for 330 of the past 365 days. I use a variety of stylii. No screen protector, not a single scratch.

Seriously, unless you are talking diamond dust, screen protectors are for the super OCD only. Not necessary in the least.

I agree... the screen protectors are, for the most cases, not necessary.. they really become the media that becomes ruined in a misnomer of service.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.