Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pcdtech

Suspended
Original poster
May 11, 2020
Old news I'm sure, but it seems that double vs triple lens, no LiDAR, 60hz vs 120hz, clear glass vs frosted glass, (probable) aluminum sides vs. stainless steel, starting 64gb vs. 128gb.... might be enough to justify a $350 price difference.

oops, and the 5.4" vs. 6.1" screen (which is a real tragedy! 6.1 feels too large.... maybe it's better with flat edges)
[automerge]1593996344[/automerge]

The rumored stacked chip (motherboard?) would have a smaller footprint and allow for more battery (a'la' "L" shaped battery in the Pro). I'm hoping for better battery life than the se2020 as well.
Apple is going to be so surprised when people buy a lot of these ? what was the last phone when Tim reported that he was "surprised" at how well the phones were Selling? I can't remember which one it was....
The SE, of course. ;)

I hope that you’re right about battery life. Has it been confirmed that the 5.4” model will get a stacked chip design? So hard to keep up with all of the rumors/leaks.

Reactions: JM

subjonas

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2014
That is true but they are also prone to scratches and more fragile
Hmm I don’t see any scratches on mine but there are a couple tiny dings from minor drops, but I think they would have happened whether the edges were chamfered or not. There may be more tinier dings but I’d have to get the magnifying glass out at that point.

pcdtech

Suspended
Original poster
May 11, 2020
Oh yeah it’s actually the informal way - “ren min bi”. CNY is the official acronym
[automerge]1593965536[/automerge]

Haha thanks, I’m happy my banged up (well loved) iPhone SE got its time in the spotlight. It’s also lovely to see that are are still plenty of stubborn SE users like us. I did another comparison of my girlfriends 11 Pro on that thread so I can appease some other people too. Now there’s no other phones in my flat to line it up against though. All I can do now is scale it up against random other things like a Nintendo Switch or ... I dunno ... a watermelon.

iZac, one last question for you. Can you share the dimensions of the actual device (vs sharing it in comparison with the iPhone SE, 7, and 11 Pro)? Using your comparisons as a guide, is it 65.6 mm wide x 130.8 mm tall x 8.6 mm deep?

Reactions: MartyvH

ssledoux

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
He posted them here

Thanks! I looked in that thread, but must‘ve overlooked those somehow. Pretty big difference for sure. Basically it boils down to do I want to go down a little, or up a little in size from the SE2? Looks like the size differences are similar, but one is a little bigger and one is a little smaller. ;-p

I wish there was speculation about the weight.
[automerge]1594043373[/automerge]
Same. These two devices are on my hit list.

Follow the link posted in response to my question. It looks like a good bit of difference. I honestly am just not sure I want to go that small. The 11 pro is a great size, and, though I returned it before my Loopy case came in, with the Loopy I think I would be able to use it pretty much one-handed.

My biggest beef is just going to a pro phone in general. I have been happy with having LCD screens and with NOT spending $1k on a phone. However, with the 12s, I’m gonna have to go pretty small or back to a 6.1 screen if I want to have the lower end phone, and I won’t have an LCD screen.

I’ve honestly never had this much trouble making a decision about an iPhone before. Why, oh why do they have to have options? ;-p

jr866gooner

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
Thanks! I looked in that thread, but must‘ve overlooked those somehow. Pretty big difference for sure. Basically it boils down to do I want to go down a little, or up a little in size from the SE2? Looks like the size differences are similar, but one is a little bigger and one is a little smaller. ;-p

I wish there was speculation about the weight.
[automerge]1594043373[/automerge]

Follow the link posted in response to my question. It looks like a good bit of difference. I honestly am just not sure I want to go that small. The 11 pro is a great size, and, though I returned it before my Loopy case came in, with the Loopy I think I would be able to use it pretty much one-handed.

My biggest beef is just going to a pro phone in general. I have been happy with having LCD screens and with NOT spending $1k on a phone. However, with the 12s, I’m gonna have to go pretty small or back to a 6.1 screen if I want to have the lower end phone, and I won’t have an LCD screen.

I’ve honestly never had this much trouble making a decision about an iPhone before. Why, oh why do they have to have options? ;-p
I know it's so frustrating. I know for certain I want a pro sized device. Just not at over 1,000... Annoying thing is I know full well it will no longer be sold direct from apple and I will therefore have no option but to go smaller or larger.. Even the standard 12 will be a smaller device for me so maybe I go that route and just deal with it lol..

It's the kind of dilemma apple like to put us in so we feel the need to spend more but oddly in this new lineup size isn't the force to make you spend more to go smaller..

johannnn

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2009
Sweden
Based on dummies, are there any weight predictions for the 2020 iPhones? I think the 11 Pro is too heavy, and I don't like the trend last couple of years where they have gotten heavier and heavier.

Reactions: GrumpyMom

s2mike

macrumors 68000
Sep 14, 2015
I really hope this iPhone 12 weighs significantly less than the iPhone 11 Pro.

I’ve had the 11 Pro for the better part of a year now, and it’s just too large and heavy for my taste.

Reactions: GrumpyMom

pcdtech

Suspended
Original poster
May 11, 2020
Based on dummies, are there any weight predictions for the 2020 iPhones? I think the 11 Pro is too heavy, and I don't like the trend last couple of years where they have gotten heavier and heavier.
If we use the iPhone 11 Pro as a guide, based on the above expected dimensions (65.6 mm wide x 130.8 mm tall x 8.6 mm deep) and the 11 Pro's dimensions, the 5.4" model's weight should be around 5.874 ounces (166.5 grams, 0.367 pounds). The iPhone 11 Pro's weight is 6.63 ounces (188 grams, 0.414 pounds). I expect this to be slightly overstated as the non-Pro iPhone 12 will feature an aluminum band instead of stainless steel, whereas the 11 Pro has a stainless steel band.

Reactions: johannnn

johannnn

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2009
Sweden
If we can use the iPhone 11 Pro as a guide, based on the above expected dimensions (65.6 mm wide x 130.8 mm tall x 8.6 mm deep), the 5.4" model's weight should be around 5.874 ounces (166.5 grams, 0.367 pounds). The iPhone 11 Pro's weight is 6.63 ounces (188 grams, 0.414 pounds).
Thanks. Damned, thought the 5.4" would weigh less.

Ok I just did my own super simple calculation.
iPhone 11 Pro is 5.8" and 188 grams. Grams/Screen = 32.4
iPhone 11 Pro Max is 6.5" and 226 grams. Grams/Screen = 34.8
iPhone 11 is 6.1" and 194 grams. Grams/Screen = 31.8
Seems like this ratio is quite conserved within the 2019 phones.
For a 5.4" phone, using an average ratio of 33.0, the weight would be 178 grams.

How on earth can the new SE be just 148 grams?

pcdtech

Suspended
Original poster
May 11, 2020
Thanks. Damned, thought the 5.4" would weigh less.

Ok I just did my own super simple calculation.
iPhone 11 Pro is 5.8" and 188 grams. Grams/Screen = 32.4
iPhone 11 Pro Max is 6.5" and 226 grams. Grams/Screen = 34.8
iPhone 11 is 6.1" and 194 grams. Grams/Screen = 31.8
Seems like this ratio is quite conserved within the 2019 phones.
For a 5.4" phone, using an average ratio of 33.0, the weight would be 178 grams.

How on earth can the new SE be just 148 grams?
I calculated by dividing the (height x width x depth) for each model, and then solving for x (iPhone 12 weight). I think it's important to use height x width x depth as screen size, alone, isn't enough. If you take into account the use of aluminum vs stainless steel, I suspect the iPhone 12 5.4" weight will be around 158-164 grams.

johannnn

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2009
Sweden
If I understand https://www.apple.com/iphone/compare/ correctly, the 11 Pro models are steel whereas the 11 is aluminium? And the 5.4" will also be aluminium right? To calculate the weight of the 5.4", I used the height*width*depth divided by (height*width*depth)/weight from iPhone 11. I get 151 grams. Am I doing something different to you?

Skärmavbild 2020-07-06 kl. 21.14.03.png

pcdtech

Suspended
Original poster
May 11, 2020
If I understand https://www.apple.com/iphone/compare/ correctly, the 11 Pro models are steel whereas the 11 is aluminium? And the 5.4" will also be aluminium right? To calculate the weight of the 5.4", I used the height*width*depth divided by (height*width*depth)/weight from iPhone 11. I get 151 grams. Am I doing something different to you?

View attachment 931230
The only thing different is you've compared to the iPhone 11 and I compared to the 11 Pro. You're right to compare to the 11 in the sense that it has an aluminum band and the 11 Pro has a stainless steel band. The potential reason to compare it to the 11 Pro and then estimate down is that the 11 Pro has the L shaped battery design and I don't think that the 11 does, but I could be wrong here. Another caveat for either approach is that the iPhone 12 will have two cameras whereas the 11 Pro has three and the 11 has one. Either way, I think it will land somewhere in between your 151 grams and my guesstimate of 158-164 grams, shaving off a few grams for the aluminum and two cameras from the calculated 166.5 grams.

Last edited:

JM

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2014
The SE, of course. ;)

I hope that you’re right about battery life. Has it been confirmed that the 5.4” model will get a stacked chip design? So hard to keep up with all of the rumors/leaks.

haha, oh yes that one.

I don't know about stacked for sure.

s2mike

macrumors 68000
Sep 14, 2015
I really hope they go with the same frosted matte material for the back that they did with the 11 Pro.

Feels great, looks great, and doesn’t pick up fingerprints. One of my favorite aspects of the recent iPhones.

Reactions: iZac

iZac

macrumors 68020
Apr 28, 2003
Shanghai
iZac, one last question for you. Can you share the dimensions of the actual device (vs sharing it in comparison with the iPhone SE, 7, and 11 Pro)? Using your comparisons as a guide, is it 65.6 mm wide x 130.8 mm tall x 8.6 mm deep?

Hi pcdtech, sorry for the delay.

I can't take pics right now - work beckons and in China we've been back in the office since late Feb. But I did bring the dummy with me. Seriously, I've been walking down the street pulling it out my pocket and pretending to type on it to see if it feels secure or not ?

So, I butted the phone and ruler up against a vertical surface, being careful to avoided the buttons. Crude dims of the 5.4" with my crummy ruler are:

64.5mm x 131.5mm x 8.5 mm

All these different comparison dimensions to different devices as different base points probably compound errors. I'm also rounding up to the nearest half mm. Plus the case manufacturers cant guarantee they:
a) got the correct exact CAD leaks or
b) manufactured it to the best tolerances

So everything including the dimensions I have just given above should be taken with a grain of salt!

As for the weight debate, with absolutely no technical proof I'd recon the type of metal might have a greater influence on it than the battery format. So I'd lean toward using the 11 as a reference rather than the 11 pro. But that's just me.

As a side note, I love that I beat Macrumours and the mighty MKBHD to some dummy model observations :p Still they likely spent a lot longer on video editing.

pcdtech

Suspended
Original poster
May 11, 2020
Hi pcdtech, sorry for the delay.

I can't take pics right now - work beckons and in China we've been back in the office since late Feb. But I did bring the dummy with me. Seriously, I've been walking down the street pulling it out my pocket and pretending to type on it to see if it feels secure or not ?

So, I butted the phone and ruler up against a vertical surface, being careful to avoided the buttons. Crude dims of the 5.4" with my crummy ruler are:

64.5mm x 131.5mm x 8.5 mm

All these different comparison dimensions to different devices as different base points probably compound errors. I'm also rounding up to the nearest half mm. Plus the case manufacturers cant guarantee they:
a) got the correct exact CAD leaks or
b) manufactured it to the best tolerances

So everything including the dimensions I have just given above should be taken with a grain of salt!

As for the weight debate, with absolutely no technical proof I'd recon the type of metal might have a greater influence on it than the battery format. So I'd lean toward using the 11 as a reference rather than the 11 pro. But that's just me.

As a side note, I love that I beat Macrumours and the mighty MKBHD to some dummy model observations :p Still they likely spent a lot longer on video editing.

iZac for President! So, based on these new dimensions (which we’ll take with a grain of salt), and using the iPhone 11 as a guide over the 11 Pro, I think the new weight estimate for the 5.4” iPhone 12 is 147.5 (LIGHTER than the 2020 SE2 by 0.46 grams)! Someone check my math as it’s 1:26am. o_O

Last edited:
Reactions: iZac

iZac

macrumors 68020
Apr 28, 2003
Shanghai
iZac for President! So, based on these new dimensions (which we’ll take with a grain of salt), and using the iPhone 11 as a guide over the 11 Pro, I think the new weight estimate for the 5.4” iPhone 12 is 147.5 (LIGHTER than the original SE by 0.46 grams)! Someone check my math as it’s 1:26am. o_O
I think we have the SE / 5S at 112 grams?

https://support.apple.com/kb/sp685?locale=en_GB

You need a good nights sleep ;)

Jonathantuba

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2017
UK
I would love to have the 5.4” size, but the lack of 2x camera is a problem for me, as that is the camera I use most.

osta.doc

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2016
I would love to see an iPhone SE (2016) size device, with a 2X camera lens. But, it doesn’t look like that will ever happen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.