Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

iPhone 12 Cases Buyer's Guide

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple announced the 6.1-inch iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 Pro this week, and pre-orders opened on Friday, October 16, with shipping dates due to begin on Friday, October 23.

The launch of a new iPhone is always a mad dash with case manufacturers trying to launch their products in time for the first customers. We've collected this list of early iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 Pro cases presently available.

Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with some of these vendors. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which helps us keep the site running.

From the Forums

Our iPhone Accessories forum is buzzing with activity from readers who are trying to pick out the perfect case. We've pulled some interesting recommendations from these threads, which you can explore yourself or ask for more personalized advice.

Spigen Ultra Hybrid

The Spine Ultra Hybrid is a no-frills clear design with a low price tag for those looking for something simple.

Spigen Thin Fit Black

Another no-frills simple black case for the iPhone 12 at a reasonable price.

Pitaka Air Case

A thin aramid fiber case with a textured surface.

Nillkin CamShield

Somewhat different camera-protecting case posted by ShawnyRHarvey provides a sliding camera cover the iPhone.

Other Notable Brands

Apple iPhone 12 Silicone Case with MagSafe

Apple's own silicone case for the ‌iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 Pro features a soft-touch finish and fits snugly over the volume buttons, side button and curves of the device without adding heft. It features perfectly aligned port hole cutouts and has built-in magnets for MagSafe accessories, and is of course compatible with Apple's MagSafe charger. The case offers a decent amount of protection, and is available in Plum, Deep Navy, Kumquat, Cyprus Green, Pink Citrus, White, Black, and PRODUCT(RED).

Speck Presidio2 iPhone 12 Cases

Long-time case manufacturer Speck's Presidio2 line takes in the Presidio2 Armor Cloud, Presidio2 Grip and Presidio2 Pro, and thanks to a partnership with company Microban, each of model features protection against stain and odour-causing bacteria around the sides of each case. Armor Cloud protects against drops up to 16 feet, while the Grip and Pro feature a soft-touch finish. Speck also offers a number of clear cases with design flourishes and impact protection.

Survivor Extreme Case

This tough yet relatively slim bumper case from Survivor promises to guard against harsh impacts, scrapes and scratches, dust and dirt, thanks to an ultra-strong base and a four-layer construction that integrates FortiCore shock absorption technology protective against 16-foot drops. Meanwhile a raised bezel ensures screen protection, and microbial and antifungal protection prevents discoloring stains, odors and degradation. Available in Black and Asphalt Black.

Totallee Thin iPhone 12 Case

Totallee's typically minimalist offering sits at the extreme end of the ‌iPhone 12 case market, in that it really is extremely thin indeed. In fact, it's more like a second skin for your device that shields it from scratches and adds grip, but provides very little in the way of drop protection. If your top priority is keeping your ‌iPhone 12 or iPhone 12 Pro slim and sleek, then this is might well be the case for you. Available in green, navy blue, and frosted black and clear colors.

CASETIFY iPhone 12 Case Series

Casetify is this year touting its first-ever antimicrobial cases, layered with the brand's proprietary Defensify coating. Both the Impact and Ultra Impact cases claim to destroy 99% of bacteria and germs on impact with the surface, and despite being just 1.2mm thin, the Impact offers protection from drops up to 6.6-foot, while the Ulta Impact offers 9.8-foot drop defense. There's also a vegan Leather case that's made of 90% recycled materials, As usual, the big plus with Casetify is that both cases are available in 15+ colorways, thousands of custom prints and personalized finishes, and every case features a flash-absorbing camera ring on the rear.

Tech21 Evo Wallet

Tech21 is offering an iPhone 12 case for people who prefer to travel light. Its Evo Wallet cover has a secure magnetic enclosure that features a pocket for two bank cards and includes a handsfree stand for watching video. The case offers drop-protection up to 12-foot, claims microbial protection, and is MagSafe compatible.

Otter + Pop Symmetry Series

Otterbox's Symmetry Series combines an inner hard shell that deflects shock and an outer soft slipcover for absorbing impacts, while a raised lip around the edge helps guard the screen against cracks. Besides offering decent overall protection for your ‌iPhone 12, the case also includes an integrated popgrip that lies flush in the case when not in use and can be easily swapped out if you want to switch up the look.

Nudient iPhone 12 Thin Case V3

Conceived by Scandinavian designer Jesper Ståhl, the Nudient case features a minimalist look with impeccably precise cutouts. The exterior is coated with three layers of rubberized material for better grip, and a suede fabric inner to keep your handset protected from scratchy dust particles. It also has built-in magnets for use with Nudient's own magnetized accessories. The case is available in Sangria Red, Pine Green, Ink Black, Midwinter Blue, Dusty Pink, Clay Beige, and Saffron Yellow.

Emma Pebble Leather Crossbody Bandolier

The Emma Crossbody Bandolier is a classic black leather case and gold-tone details and an open-face design, but its signature feature is the adjustable crossbody shoulder strap for handsfree carrying. Emma includes a hidden snapback credit card compartment on the rear, and is available in 10 understated colors for a chic look.

RhinoShield SolidSuit

Slim yet protective, RhinoShield's SolidSuit case is a one-piece shell with a premium finish on the back. It uses proprietary impact-resistant technology called ShockSpread material, which offers military-grade defense against drops and falls, yet its featherweight design ensures you won't even know it's there. It's available in a range of colors and custom prints, and also plays nice with the company's range of add-on camera lenses.

Feel free to add your own picks to the discussion thread.

Article Link: iPhone 12 Cases Buyer's Guide

Last edited:

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2008
I started with something super cheap but hopefully sufficient until I figure out the best MagSafe option for a hopefully forthcoming car charger mount. There are lots of super cheap cases on eBay and Amazon. I do think the Spigen cases seem to be a great balance of quality and price.

Comment

Tymbo

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2009
Is it likely that Apple will launch black leather case for iPhone 12 when they launch leather cases on November 6th?

Comment

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
are the 3rd party cases compatible with magsafe, or will I need to wait for spigen to release a magsafe version of their tough armor case in order to use magsafe chargers that hold the phone in place?
Some may charge with the MagSafe but most of these arnt magsafe cases. It will take a little time I think for 3rd party cases to be proper MagSafe.

Last edited:
Comment

TheDailyApple

macrumors regular
May 30, 2019
are the 3rd party cases compatible with magsafe, or will I need to wait for spigen to release a magsafe version of their tough armor case in order to use magsafe chargers that hold the phone in place?
I’d like to know this too; I’d like Nomad’s leather cases, but they don’t have MagSafe.

Reactions: jlozoya
Comment

darkslide29

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2011
San Francisco, California
Is it likely that Apple will launch black leather case for iPhone 12 when they launch leather cases on November 6th?

Oh yes. At least I don’t think they’d only offer the brown color.

Comment

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
I really wish Apple would release their battery case (or extra battery solution) with the release of new phones.

There probably won’t be a battery case but instead a battery MagSafe. So you get a MagSafe case, stick a MagSafe battery to that case. Or remove it when you don’t need it. At least that would make more sense then a dedicated battery case imo

Comment

katbel

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2009
The case with sliding mechanism camera protection is neat. Reminds me with my older Sony Ericcson circa 2000 (below is Satio)
Especially with iPP triple camera setup.
Cool, the one on your photo. A friend of mine got the other one(Nillkin CamShield) for his iPhone 11 Pro and said that was very cheap feeling and looking and sent it back. Plus if you read their specification it doesn't say it's protecting the front, big issue for me ! Maybe they improved this one but I'm waiting others to try it

Comment

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Cool, the one on your photo. A friend of mine got the other one(Nillkin CamShield) for his iPhone 11 Pro and said that was very cheap feeling and looking and sent it back
Someone took real life photos of it here:

Reactions: ShawnyRHarvey
Comment

decisions

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2019
Nudient case looks the nicest to me but it seems that they don't ship to the US. Am I mistaken?

Comment

neteng101

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2009
Kinda weak choices - Supcase is far better than Spigen IMO but I guess only sponsors get the mentions.

Comment

Taz Mangus

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2011
A few cases I am considering now.

[automerge]1602990003[/automerge]
Which Screen protector will you buy?

Amazon is terrible, many products have already several 5 star ratings before the iPhone was even released.

I am considering this one myself.

Last edited:
Reactions: ridgero and arn
Comment

ghanwani

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2008
What happened to Apple's bumpers from the days of the iPhone 4/4S? Those were the most effective and least aesthetic-destroying. My last 2 phones (5s and SE), I've gone without a case.

Edit: BTW, it would be good if MR could include the weight of the cases when reviewing them. Some of them weigh 2-3 oz which is 50-75% of my iPhone SE.

Last edited:
Comment

BigTRQ

macrumors regular
May 30, 2007
Are the Apple Clear Cases with MagSafe fully covered in the bottom like the Apple Silicone cases are? Have seen conflicting pics and responses elsewhere.

Reactions: Jovijoker
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.