Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

teobilly

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2011
Really don't know between pro and pro max. Do you think the camera is a big difference?

karatekidk

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2008
Pacific Northwest, USA
I love the size and design of the 12 Mini! A worthy replacement for the SE1.

I may end up getting one to replace my SE1 if it dies. Although, I wish there was Touch ID.

Watching my children deal with Face ID, especially lately with masks, is really making me less likely to want to give up Touch ID.

Looking at the photo, I am convinced that the 12 mini is the ideal size for me as a long time SE1 user. Can't wait!

bklement

Cancelled
Oct 3, 2019
Really Really Really peeved that I need to get a Max to get the best camera. What I really want is a mini with the Pro Max camera. Make the battery a little smaller, it's a compromise I'm willing to live with. (and I'm sure others are too)

The best camera is the one you have with you, and I'd rather not have that giant slab on me. I'd much prefer something that easily fits in any pocket.
Some probably would, but not most. I would throw out the dual cameras for a single one without a bump, also would get rid of the magsafe magnets and wireless charging coils for the sake of a bigger battery.

vin1717

macrumors member
May 21, 2015
Brooklyn, NY
One of the nice subtle improvements is that the flat edges keeps the body of 12 almost the same as the 11 pro, even with the increase in screen size. The X, XS, 11 pro body always felt like the perfect size. I would love to downsize and go to a mini for a bit, but the decrease in battery isn't worth it for me.

McKodiak

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2014
I'm looking to replace my XS. At the time of purchase I thought it was too big. I got used to it but feel I can't go any bigger. The only 12 not bigger is the mini and that battery life is disappointing.

jml12286

macrumors regular
May 15, 2014
Denver
Really Really Really peeved that I need to get a Max to get the best camera. What I really want is a mini with the Pro Max camera. Make the battery a little smaller, it's a compromise I'm willing to live with. (and I'm sure others are too)

The best camera is the one you have with you, and I'd rather not have that giant slab on me. I'd much prefer something that easily fits in any pocket.
This 100%

j-a-x

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2005
Houston, Texas

Agreed 100%. That said I'll probably get the mega phone this year just for the camera improvements.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
I've already ordered my Speck case for the mini. So when it comes (which will be weeks before the actual phone) I'll be able to see how it feels in my hand (and pocket).

28Gauge

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2011
DFW
I'm dreading upgrading to 12 Pro Max from X, but I'm not going to upgrade for another 3-4 years and thought I might as well go for the highest spec'd version, also for the first time that Gold colour is ?.

I'm eagerly waiting that we get some reviewers with their test photos and videos, to see what the actual real world difference is between the Pro and the Pro Max.
Same here. The cost of the 12 Pro Max is a bit disconcerting. I usually update every 2-3 years.

Reactions: Oblivious.Robot

gaximus

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
Is there a graphic to show what the iPhone 12 Pro will look like on a iPhone 11 Pro?

teobilly

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2011
Same here. The cost of the 12 Pro Max is a bit disconcerting. I usually update every 2-3 years.

Same but I don't think there will be a big difference with photos. I think I'm going to the Pro (I have an X and the size is perfect). The max is really too big

itsmilo

Suspended
Sep 15, 2016
Berlin, Germany
I could never ... especially since I still cannot reach the top left with my thumb so I might as well go big or nothing

Iphone 12 mini is the perfect size for me.

I still don't understand how people use the Max versions, it's TOO BIG. In a few years they will make it big as the iPad mini

i just tested the size of the Mini overlapping with my Max and it almost makes no difference. I still have to stretch my thumb and can’t reach the top left so I might as well get a bigger screen if I have to use the phone the same way (two hands)

Attachments

• 021F0FFA-B7E1-4C2C-933D-EA07959E146F.png
    021F0FFA-B7E1-4C2C-933D-EA07959E146F.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 515

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
No, the iPhone 11 Pro Max does not represent the 7/8 Plus.

They may be similar, but not the same.

We cheated a little and lumped them together, which we acknowledged in the article.

But...

11 Pro Max
Height: 158.0 mm Width 77.8 mm

iPhone 7 Plus
Height: 158.2 mm Width 77.9 mm

the 0.2 x 0.1 mm difference we thought was negligible. And I'm not even sure what the translates into pixels in that image.

arn

roland.g

macrumors demi-god
Apr 11, 2005
No, the iPhone 11 Pro Max does not represent the 7/8 Plus.

They may be similar, but not the same.
Screen size. No one is full screen the other is home button. Physical dimensions. Yes. Within 2 hundredths of an inch on width and 4 hundreds on height.

3.06 x 6.22 11 Pro Max
3.05 x 6.20 XS Max
3.07 x 6.24 8 Plus
3.07 x 6.23 7 Plus

and by comparison

3.07 x 6.33 12 Pro Max

the 12 Pro Max is 2.8mm taller than the 11 Pro Max and 2.4mm taller than the 8 Plus.

but yes the 4 above that are grouped for the graphic are virtually the same.

Reactions: mech986

Deinocheirus

Suspended
Oct 5, 2020

That's a pretty unrealistic complaint. Firstly, you get better cameras overall with the Pro models because they cost more. Secondly, size matters, and enables better features. Even the size difference from the Pro to the Max enables even more unique camera features.

However, I do find myself faced with a similar decision. I need the best camera possible, but don't really want bigger than the 6.1

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.