Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ikramerica

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2009
Sorry. 11 Pro is essentially same size as X. Added an addendum. We’ll get graphic updated.

Update: fixed.
These comparisons always leave out 6+/7+/8+
But it’s really important for people with those phones trying to understand the other models.

Reactions: sn0man1

iGeneo

macrumors demi-god
Jul 3, 2010
Ordering a 12 Pro, 256, likely charcoal. Will return blue AW6 and get charcoal as well. I like things to match, I found with my green Pro 11, I was constantly changing cases to match. Charcoal is more neutral, no need to match anything. Found myself pigeonholed by the green.

Would do 12Pro Max, but likely would be a tight fit in BMW wireless charging tray, as well as having several zip up's with chest or shoulder pockets.

Maschil

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2011
Mississippi
Coming from an X and thinking about purchasing a 12 Pro Max, yesterday I made a mockup of the Max out of wood, and carried it around for a few hours as if it were my phone.

Came to the conclusion it was much too unwieldy compared to my X. And instead will be ordering a 12 Pro (which is similar to my X) tomorrow.

View attachment 967047

i dont know why this is so funny to me. LOL

alexhardaker

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2014
I’ve been wanting a smaller iPhone for years. The battery life is a concern though, for me. I’m on 89% health after a year with a new battery in my X, so I’m worried the mini would have crap battery after 12 months & annoy me too much. I want mine to last me years, so how do I stop this happening again?

I’ve even thought about getting a mini and an iPad to use for browsing/media consumption etc, but I don’t see myself using it. I don’t see the point in having an iPad and a Mac.

Aren’t you concerned for battery life with the mini? I think I’ll have to get a 12. I don’t use the camera, so the pro models aren’t worth it

Last edited:

reden

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2006
I'm dreading upgrading to 12 Pro Max from X, but I'm not going to upgrade for another 3-4 years and thought I might as well go for the highest spec'd version, also for the first time that Gold colour is ?.

I'm eagerly waiting that we get some reviewers with their test photos and videos, to see what the actual real world difference is between the Pro and the Pro Max.

What a rollercoaster of emotions. All for an iPhone.

bobob

macrumors 68040
Jan 11, 2008
I hadn't seen a comparison of the screen area between my old iPhone 6 Plus and the new iPhone 12 Mini, so I did the calculations:

12.96 sq in - iPhone 6 Plus
12.46 sq in - iPhone 12 Mini

Pretty darn close given the savings in pocket real estate.

Reactions: MartyvH

Robin Bonathan

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2020
Coming from an X and thinking about purchasing a 12 Pro Max, yesterday I made a mockup of the Max out of wood, and carried it around for a few hours as if it were my phone.

Came to the conclusion it was much too unwieldy compared to my X. And instead will be ordering a 12 Pro (which is similar to my X) tomorrow.

View attachment 967047
I had a max phone (think it was iphone 7 max) too big in pocket though did love screen size when using. I went to X as well. Will order the pro today but not the max

DarwinOSX

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2009
Really Really Really peeved that I need to get a Max to get the best camera. What I really want is a mini with the Pro Max camera. Make the battery a little smaller, it's a compromise I'm willing to live with. (and I'm sure others are too)

The best camera is the one you have with you, and I'd rather not have that giant slab on me. I'd much prefer something that easily fits in any pocket.

Really?

Reactions: mech986

johannnn

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2009
Sweden
I’ve been wanting a smaller iPhone for years. The battery life is a concern though, for me. I’m on 89% health after a year with a new battery in my X, so I’m worried the mini would have crap battery after 12 months & annoy me too much. I want mine to last me years, so how do I stop this happening again?

I’ve even thought about getting a mini and an iPad to use for browsing/media consumption etc, but I don’t see myself using it. I don’t see the point in having an iPad and a Mac.

Aren’t you concerned for battery life with the mini? I think I’ll have to get a 12. I don’t use the camera, so the pro models aren’t worth it
Just pay Apple to replace the battery after 2-3 years.

Reactions: MartyvH and mech986

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
Hmmm, so the 8+ is the size of the 11 Pro Max? Interesting.

Will definitely check out the phones in person at some point. Will wait until next year’s model unless my commute internet connectivity is as bad as it is at home now. Need a watch SE and a new Mac first.

robbo91

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2010
So now looking at this picture, the 12 Mini doesn't look much smaller than the XS (which I currently have). Maybe I will need to see in person.

SSD-GUY

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2012
Interstellar
Less typing mistakes (especially with iOS’s awful AI autocorrect) and much better for reading longer and wider company emails, PowerPoint decks, etc. I LOVE the size at work because I don’t typically use a desk computer for very long. It’s almost all on my phone where I am.

Interesting. I'm the opposite in that I'm either on my work device (MBP 15" connected to monitors), or my Mac/hackintosh (connected to same two monitors), or on the laptop somewhere in the house. I use the phone more as an extension, and my main apps (messages, Slack, safari etc) are all on the Macs that I use too. I guess I'm more of a Mini-user then. Interestingly my friend has said the same thing, he uses his max device for everything and barely turns on his laptop now. I couldn't do that!

GlenK

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2013
St. Augustine, FL
Interesting that the mini is smaller than the 2020 SE. I love my SE but may have to check this one out. I'm done with those BIG phones!!

alexhardaker

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2014
Just pay Apple to replace the battery after 2-3 years.
I’ve gone for the regular 12, even though it’s slightly taller and wider than the X. I’ll probably be upgrading in 2-3 years anyway to hand this down to a family member once theirs has packed in.

Reactions: mech986

mech986

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2017
SoCal USA
What's the deal with the naming of these phones? There should just be a simple name that runs across the whole iphone product.

You’d rather they all be called iPhone 12 and let people guess what they ordered? You like Samsung jumping from S10 to S20?

How would you differentiate each of 4 models? A,B,C & D?

we love a thinner design and no battery life :) but heyy, they give as magsafe

View attachment 967027

LCD/OLED, lower/higher res, thin & light/thick & heavy, same/bigger battery, same interior volume/room for new features, slight less/more battery life. It’s all design choices and compromises.

BTW, if you’re watching 17 hours straight of video, IMO, YOU’LL need to recharge, let alone your iPhone. Get your 6 hours min of sleep after you eat, pee/poop and shower! After that prep hour, your iPhone will have charged 50% and your Watch 100%. Or a quick few minutes on a wireless or MagSafe charger will help extend.

Iphone 12 mini is the perfect size for me.

I still don't understand how people use the Max versions, it's TOO BIG. In a few years they will make it big as the iPad mini

In 2-3 years, Apple will have an iPhone Pro Max UnFold Air that will open to a full size iPad with keyboard. You heard it here first!

This does my nut. All that ribbing of Android phones being fragmented, now we have a gazillion different sized phones with barely a mil or so between some of them, and to top it off some ludicrous naming system. Why has ‘plus’ now become ‘max’, why was there ever an ‘XR’, now we have ‘Pro’, a new ‘SE’ etc etc. I can’t keep up!

Like the Samsung system? S10 to S20, 10, 10+, 10e, 20, 20+, 20 FE, 20 Ultra, all 20’s with 5G added, Active, Note, S, Z, A, J, Flip, Fold. And that’s just in the US! They literally have almost a hundred variations this year!

And you’re complaining about 4 main new iPhones, the SE and two older models?

So why would I want a 12 Pro when it's smaller than the 11 XR and has edges like the 5S which cut uncomfortably into my hand as I held it. Won't be touching it with a 10' barge pole.
Uh, a rounded edge case and you’re done. Your choice on display size.

Wow, that pic really shows that Apple has listened to the customer base begging for a X-style small phone. It sits nicely between the 5/5s/SE and 6/7/8/SE2. They’re going to sell a ton of those.
Hope so. Will hit a demo that has been waiting, new clamoring for 5 years, abandoned by both Apple and Android.

Ironically, as soon as the mini finds success, there will be at least, at least 5-10 Android copies, some with notches, of that size to coattail on Apple’s success, complete with inferior hardware, lookalike software, even similar sounding “mini” names. Mark my words, Android will “rediscover” smaller phones.

IMO, since your battery was replaced you may have had to restore from a backup and lost settings. Would be a good idea to review all settings for display brightness, night mode or dark mode, app background refresh & cell usage, BT connections, WiFi vs cell data use, mail and app fetch vs manual, shut down unneeded notifications, location services access, data sharing, use an ad blocker, etc. iOS 13 & 14 have new charging algorithms that slow charge depending on your routine, extending battery life.

But if you’re an intensive user and consumer of graphics and streaming or gaming, you’re stressing your battery a lot - it’s a consumable with a finite number of charge cycles and heavy power draws before it degrades. So assume 2+ years of battery life and plan on an Apple replacement when you use it up. It’s really just that simple, it’s a reality. A very small price for the magnitude of mobile use you’ll get over its battery life.

Reactions: MartyvH and GuruZac
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.