Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Oak

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2013
Being on Verizon and where I live ... I won't be seeing 5G anytime soon. My 11 Pro will serve me quite well for another year, if not two.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I am sorry but the iPhone 12 is a bull...t phone through and through. Same camera sensor, no touchID (how to even use this with a mask?!), no USB-C, no 120Hz, 5G no mmwave outside US, 5G not for Dual SIMs. So I get what? A cool new blue color in an iPhone 5/iPad like casing? For $1000?
Seems like there is quite a bit other than 5g:
- bigger than "max"
- from xs max ultra-wide lense
- dolby vision hdr
- more optical zoom range
- lidar
- new glass/new design
- better water resistance
- interesting magsafe accessory line
- standard 128 gig storage
- plus other stuff

Seems like a solid upgrade. Of course, the decision to upgrade is personal and varied. The "bug" for 5g to me, is the last reason I wouldn't upgrade.

imlynxy

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
I use two SIM and after that news I see o reason to upgrade. I get the same LTE phone with better camera, but I do not have “Instagram”.

.... or I forget about the “deal-saver”, Mr. MagSafe. :)

Reactions: Ramchi

Victor Mortimer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2016
Here comes the “power users” that must have the already sparse 5G coverage at all times. ?

I personally use dual sim for international travel, it is a non-issue.

And of course... we will have many that claim it is a “deal breaker”

"It doesn't affect me, therefore it's not a problem for anybody. I worship Tim's feet, everything Apple does is always perfect!"

I don't use dual SIM or have any real interest in 5G. That doesn't mean this isn't a MASSIVE screwup for Apple.

If I did need 5G, I'd expect that buying a new and VERY expensive phone (and then have to buy headphones and a charger separately) I'd expect the 5G to F***ING WORK. Otherwise, why would I buy the phone?

Reactions: mtneer and Ramchi

BeABetterApple

Suspended
Sep 2, 2020
Order is now cancelled, sticking with XS for another year. Disappointing because I was looking forward to some new tech, but since I don’t take many pictures, the iPhone 12 already felt like only a smalll update.

i would not be able to use 5G at all, because I use dual sim 24/7.

I am waiting for the next iPhone with hopefully real 5G (including international UW) support, 120hz and a smaller notch. That will feel much better

But why not wait and see if it’s a software update later in 2020? Not that you even have to wait until 2021 according to the article. That’s like two months at most. You lived without 5G all your life, surely two months wouldn’t ruin everything?

• Disagree
Reactions: iGeneo and mtneer

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
So muc
Maybe due to battery drain? If having the phone trying to connect to a spotty network makes the battery take a hit, imagine what trying to connect to two would do

So much for Apple only releases new technology when it’s ready.. Or Apple only does it right..

Reactions: BeABetterApple

BeABetterApple

Suspended
Sep 2, 2020
I assume you mean Sydney. Here is one of the 3 networks for this little village.
Covers where i live, work, run, drink, gym, BJJ and where 99% of my friends live.
Next?
I think the biggest problem is Apple only made this 5G for USA bands? Correct? Or is it just the mm Wave that’s only US?

naturalstar

macrumors demi-goddess
Mar 9, 2012
It seems these “power users” are buying the phone for 5G and must have it 24/7

Ok.. whatever

I don’t think it’s about having 5G service 24/7, but some have upgraded their plans to 5G and now it’s revealed that 5G won’t work as expected. The 5G plans here in the US (and specifically on Verizon) stated that 5G gets priority over 4G.

It’s one thing that 5G isn’t everywhere yet, but if you say the new iPhone 12 runs 5G and say it enough times for someone to get liver cirrhosis from 5G being the drinking game word of the keynote, I can understand the reaction. A person doesn’t need to travel in order to require dual SIM use. Many people run 2 numbers on their phone in order to separate personal from business. They could have stayed with their 4G plan or even not bothered to upgrade at all.

I’m in Chicago, we’ve had 5G for a while - I know some of the engineers who are working on the nationwide upgrade for Verizon, so yes, we’ve had it. The iPhone just wasn’t capable of access before. I get that this may not mean much in other countries, or to you, but no way is this not a record scratcher for those to whom it applies.

Maconplasma

Cancelled
Sep 15, 2020
Doubt this will affect but a small few especially since 5G is limited in availability, so it's no biggie.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
"It doesn't affect me, therefore it's not a problem for anybody. I worship Tim's feet, everything Apple does is always perfect!"
Well yes and no. Apple tend to release things only when ready. However, the flip side of "not affecting me", is that if it affects me and my use case, it must affect 100% of Apple users, because that is the way these forums go?
I don't use dual SIM or have any real interest in 5G. That doesn't mean this isn't a MASSIVE screwup for Apple.
It also doesn't mean it is any type of screw-up.
If I did need 5G, I'd expect that buying a new and VERY expensive phone (and then have to buy headphones and a charger separately) I'd expect the 5G to F***ING WORK. Otherwise, why would I buy the phone?
You make the decisions you need based on an individual use case. I don't need a charger or headphones and for my use case 5G, (if it is even available in my area) would work just fine. I don't see any reason not to buy the phone.

Last edited:

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
So a software update this fall will enable the functionality.

In the meantime, users get 4G speeds that they’re likely to encounter 80%+ of the time anyway.

Some of you need some real hardship in your life if you’re getting this upset over this.

Reactions: I7guy

xander49x

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2015
world
well, I will not be getting the 12 pro max, I use both sims on my phone, I will wait until next year's phone.

ani4ani

Cancelled
May 4, 2012
So a software update this fall will enable the functionality.

In the meantime, users get 4G speeds that they’re likely to encounter 80%+ of the time anyway.

Some of you need some real hardship in your life if you’re getting this upset over this.

Well let's imagine the message this morning was that one of the great new cameras was only going to beccome operable in some future, yet defined [or confirmed] date. I think folks would be pretty upset?

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
well, I will not be getting the 12 pro max, I use both sims on my phone, I will wait until next year's phone.
You can’t wait a month or two to make this purchase once the software update has been released?

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Well let's imagine the message this morning was that one of the great new cameras was only going to beccome operable in some future, yet defined [or confirmed] date. I think folks would be pretty upset?
...Apple Pay came via an update, many other features like deep fusion as well.

I think people need a lesson in delayed gratification....

xander49x

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2015
world
Which kind of 5G is it though?

The "ultra fast, download an entire season of a TV show in 6 seconds" 5G?

Or the "meh, not much better than 4G..." 5G?

:p

why is it so important to you? I understand what they are talking about. I use both sims in my phone for the last 2 years and it is a deal-breaker, If I am purchasing a phone then I want it to work. if the carriers are going to charge for 5g because I have a 5g phone then I want my 5g to work on both sims out of the box.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
why is it so important to you? I understand what they are talking about.

I was simply making a joke about the current state of 5G.

There is the super-fast but severely range-limited 5G.... or the long-range 5G that is not-much-faster than 4G

I was just being silly... that's all. :p

Carry on. I mean no harm.

Reactions: tonyr6

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
and perhaps Apple need a lesson in delayed payment or delayed sales?
Should they have delayed the launch for an edge case that applies to less than 10% (in being generous here) of people that will be resolved before the holidays? Really?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.