Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maplingstorie

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2009
Malaysia
Since 29 November 2020. Noticing faster drop since 14.5

Attachments

• 5F74C35E-61F2-490E-B2FD-9916F1F3EF9D.png
    5F74C35E-61F2-490E-B2FD-9916F1F3EF9D.png
    446.6 KB · Views: 201

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68040
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
I can mentally picture many of our phones will hit that critical 80% mark at the same time (late Sept., Oct. early Nov.) - some phones hitting that number earlier.

And then the massive overwhelming of appointments to the Genius Bar to get the battery replaced with some guy in the back and a stack of 12's 5 feet high replacing batteries all day-night.

Replaced battery...what should be a turnaround of 2-3 days could end up 6-7 days.

All of these Apple employees / phone support stating "Battery is fine, normal."
Well...in a few months we'll all be saying "Told ya so!"

• Sad
Reactions: Duncan68

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016
Okay, my battery health literally just went down today. I checked this morning it was 93%.

now it went to 92%. And I barely even used my phone today

I am actually going to reach below 80% soon probably before the new iPhone comes out.

edit: context: my iPhone 12 Pro dropped to 93% not even two weeks ago I think. And it went from 95% to 94% all in the same month….

Last edited by a moderator:

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68040
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
I noticed my Apple Watch 4, the battery is not like it used to be, but it will get me through the day still...which is understandable.

I actually never noticed there is a "Battery Health" in that watch - under settings.
AW4 - 91% - original battery from launch day Sept. 2018.
iPhone 12 PM - 87%

IDK what that really means, comparing apples to oranges. Just a far smaller Li battery in a watch is actually "healthier" than a larger Li battery in a 6 month old phone??

MCap

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2021
Same problem for me. iPhone 12 Pro bought on launch day in November. Start having battery problems with iOS 14.5. Battery Health was 100% in March, went 99% immediately after iOS 14.5 update, then lost 1% a week. And this Sunday went to 96%.
Experiencing very fast battery drain after 50% of battery remaining charge. Last Thursday (when I was at the phone with Apple Support) it went from 32% to 19% in 35 minutes during the call.
The Apple Support expert suggested me to do a full restore (starting from recovery mode) in order to delete all the content of my iPhone and re-download latest iOS directly from Apple. Today I just went to Genius Bar and let the expert do a complete battery check. He told me that from hardware side it is all ok. He suggested me to wait another week and see if battery will get better (he said that after the complete restore the iOS is doing all the optimization process in the background and it will take almost a week 10 days to complete).
Now in the mean while I will try a battery calibration, letting the iPhone completely discharge (and letting it stay off for almost 5 hours) and then recharge it (switching it off) and let it charge for about 5 to 8 hours. Then turn it on, do a soft reset and detach the cable. Hope it will help... This procedure was suggested by the Apple Expert at the store too.

Attachments

• IMG_30FED0E75E69-1.jpeg
    IMG_30FED0E75E69-1.jpeg
    159.8 KB · Views: 81

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68040
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
Same problem for me. iPhone 12 Pro bought on launch day in November. Start having battery problems with iOS 14.5. Battery Health was 100% in March, went 99% immediately after iOS 14.5 update, then lost 1% a week. And this Sunday went to 96%.
Experiencing very fast battery drain after 50% of battery remaining charge. Last Thursday (when I was at the phone with Apple Support) it went from 32% to 19% in 35 minutes during the call.
The Apple Support expert suggested me to do a full restore (starting from recovery mode) in order to delete all the content of my iPhone and re-download latest iOS directly from Apple. Today I just went to Genius Bar and let the expert do a complete battery check. He told me that from hardware side it is all ok. He suggested me to wait another week and see if battery will get better (he said that after the complete restore the iOS is doing all the optimization process in the background and it will take almost a week 10 days to complete).
Now in the mean while I will try a battery calibration, letting the iPhone completely discharge (and letting it stay off for almost 5 hours) and then recharge it (switching it off) and let it charge for about 5 to 8 hours. Then turn it on, do a soft reset and detach the cable. Hope it will help... This procedure was suggested by the Apple Expert at the store too.
What a ridiculous process! ? Not blaming you MCap, Apple employees support really has no answer for this and until the higher ups admit the battery is a total mess, there really is no solution...just stall tactics.

Wait a week, 10 days...leave the phone off 5 hours, reset, detach cable?
Sounds like a convoluted NASA mission. Give me a break!

Reactions: Duncan68

loybond

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2010
The True North, Strong and Free
I upgrade to the new iPhone every year. Questioned it a little last couple of years, but did the upgrade still. This year, with the updates now minimal year to year, I was thinking about keeping my 12 pro an additional year. But it's already at 91, I'm wondering where it'll be by September, and a year after that. Seems like I might have to sell it, but maybe this year's phone will be the same way.

My xs max was at 96% two years in. My gf's 8 is still at 100% today, despite being 1.5 years old.

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68040
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
I upgrade to the new iPhone every year. Questioned it a little last couple of years, but did the upgrade still. This year, with the updates now minimal year to year, I was thinking about keeping my 12 pro an additional year. But it's already at 91, I'm wondering where it'll be by September, and a year after that. Seems like I might have to sell it, but maybe this year's phone will be the same way.

My xs max was at 96% two years in. My gf's 8 is still at 100% today, despite being 1.5 years old.
That is a tough decision right now, and it was never like that. My XS Max had far better health also after 2 years. I have no plans to upgrade to 13 right now. I'll get this battery replaced when (not if) it hits 80% by Nov. Then what?? Get the battery replaced again - for a fee 8, 9 months later??

Is the phone causing the battery issues or is it the battery itself? Everything is just guessing right now.

13's are rumored to have a much larger battery, but does that really matter if this draining health trend continues in the next models?

IF...and that's a big if - I get the 13. It won't be launch day. I have to see what people may be experiencing with the upcoming model before I drop $$$ on another iPhone. So that may be another 10-12 months from now. (Meanwhile the 12 Pro Max trade in price drops.)

I've been frustrated with iOS updates in the past - this 14.6 is one of them. This really is the first time I've been incredibly disappointed with the actual iPhone.

Reactions: loybond

incredibless8980

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2021
Bought in Dec 20 before Christmas. Yesterday the battery health turned to 99%. I am a light user and dont play any heat intensive apps. Plus i dont charge overnight and rarely drain it below 50% and just charge it to 100%. . I checked the batterycycle and it is only around 82 cycles lol. Plus i am using 5watt charger all the time.

<key>com.apple.ioreport.BatteryCycleCount</key>

<integer>82</integer>

Attachments

• BD825D67-BA29-49F4-9B2E-E3B532797500.png
    BD825D67-BA29-49F4-9B2E-E3B532797500.png
    428.1 KB · Views: 77

shady16

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2019
well my pro max is down to 94% now was just at 98% at the end of April so thats a 4% drop in one month.... also recently my phone got really warm just browsing the new on WiFi and battery drained from 85% to 76% in a span of 10 mins

• Wow
Reactions: BrightCanon

ebika

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2008
Chicago
Reading all these reports motivated me to set up a Shortcuts app routine. When the charge rises above 80%, the phone plays a ping sound and I take it off the power (I usually charge it up in the morning). I’ll charge it to 100% if I know I’ll be out and about without access to a charger.

Reactions: symphony

SumYoungGai

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2013
SF Bay Area, CA
Reading all these reports motivated me to set up a Shortcuts app routine. When the charge rises above 80%, the phone plays a ping sound and I take it off the power (I usually charge it up in the morning). I’ll charge it to 100% if I know I’ll be out and about without access to a charger.
This is a good solution to a problem that should not exist in the first place. The batteries are degrading faster than usual

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016

You and I are on the EXACT same boat. Lol

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016
This is a good idea. I’m going to see if the battery reaches 90%, the charger will turn off for 5 hours via HomeKit outlet

Reactions: ebika

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
People with various type of usages, environmental, and charging/discharging conditions are comparing numbers, as if that will tell them anything. Maybe it's a good thing no Android OEM do this. Looks like it only creates paranoia amongst consumers. :D

RRC

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2020
For anyone who’s phone is running hot try the hard restart procedure…

Volume up (release)
Volume down (release)
Hood power button down until the apple logo appears (then release).

Reactions: BrightCanon

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68040
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
well my pro max is down to 94% now was just at 98% at the end of April so thats a 4% drop in one month.... also recently my phone got really warm just browsing the new on WiFi and battery drained from 85% to 76% in a span of 10 mins
Browsing on Safari for me puts a REAL battery drain on mine also.

Also one of the main reasons I upgraded to this 12 ProMax was camera - photo taking and even HDR video. But that main feature seriously goes down the tubes after 30-45min of that.

Just shooting a bunch of pics yesterday, some brief video clips quickly brought my battery from 100% to 64%.

*Summer LAST year I ended up buying an Apple Smart Battery case for my XS Max..thinking my battery was dying - pushing close to 2 years (even though it showed 95% health), turned out that was a flawed iOS - Apple Music, Dropbox running nonstop on the BG. I only used that case 2 times. Currently that sits on my shelf in the original box. Apple fixed that problem I think just after July 4. ?

But with 86% health now on my 12 PM, I will not be investing $$ in a smart battery case after 6 months with this phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.