Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

macvinc6

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2011
Another thing i noticed, the iPhone 12 pro max has also a poor white balance in videos. In some case it doesn't even get the colors correctly. Coming from the 11 pro max i am very disappointed!

Carolmp15

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2020
I'm having the same issue. Apple Brazil asked me so send pictures and videos, but I doubt they'll do something. As for Apple Support on Twitter, this is their response. They couldn't care less.

Attachments

• 22.png
    22.png
    7.4 KB · Views: 235

SergioRZ

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2020
Well, if it's the result of the sensor size, there is nothing that can be done about it, it's hardware feature and by design.

I can't blame Apple for that, there are many benefits associated with the larger sensor and I really like them. However, I do think Apple should be more open and forward with providing technical details and specifications, even more so before customers buy the product ;)

Carolmp15

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2020
Well, if it's the result of the sensor size, there is nothing that can be done about it, it's hardware feature and by design.

I can't blame Apple for that, there are many benefits associated with the larger sensor and I really like them. However, I do think Apple should be more open and forward with providing technical details and specifications, even more so before customers buy the product ;)
if that’s the case, then shouldn’t it be happening to all 12 pro max? I noticed a couple of replies with pics coming out perfectly.

Peter K.

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2012
Philly / SoCal / Jersey Shore
Reactions: StumpyBloke

altagg

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2020
Just to add myself as a data point, it has happened to my 12PM, but only once so far. I’ve had the phone since launch day.
Wait, you're saying it doesn't happen for you?! You'd be the first one to claim that for a 12PM AFAIK. Could you post a video of your phone focusing at very close distances?

We could then use that video to claim defective hardware with Apple.

SergioRZ

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2020
Wait, you're saying it doesn't happen for you?! You'd be the first one to claim that for a 12PM AFAIK. Could you post a video of your phone focusing at very close distances?

Probably referring to the "other" issue that is also part of this thread... not the minimum focus distance issue, that is the same for all 12PM phones as a result of sensor/lens size combination.

Reactions: G5isAlive

Peter K.

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2012
Philly / SoCal / Jersey Shore

Sorry if I wasn’t clear, but I was responding to the issue called out in the OP. I have suffered one incident, in which the camera was unable to focus on a very close object. I have not been able to duplicate the issue.

SergioRZ

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2020
Sorry if I wasn’t clear, but I was responding to the issue called out in the OP. I have suffered one incident, in which the camera was unable to focus on a very close object. I have not been able to duplicate the issue.

That's should be the back and forth focusing issue, where it can't keep the focus on the closer object and keeps switching back and forth between closer object and background. It happened to me only once so far (12PM 14.3), I think there's a chance it wasn't fully fixed yet.

The other issue, increased minimum focusing distance, is the same for all 12PM and will probably not get any kind of fix, it's by design.

Philljp

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2012
Using the 2x telephoto lens is not relevant to this discussion. The issue is simply that the standard wide lens does not focus as close as all previous iphones. The focus distance is about twice as far. If you measure with a ruler it’s about 6 inches on the 12 Max and around 3 inches in the 11 Pro Max.

Philljp

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2012
Using the 2x telephoto lens is not relevant to this discussion. The issue is simply that the standard wide lens does not focus as close as all previous iphones. The focus distance is about twice as far. If you measure with a ruler it’s about 6 inches on the 12 Max and around 3 inches in the 11 Pro Max.
I know you can’t see the numbers on the ruler, but you get the idea.
The close one is the 11 Pro Max, the further one is the 12 Pro Max. Getting as close as possible to the flower.

Attachments

• 25902A89-27BC-47F3-B4C9-822655AE00B4.jpeg
    25902A89-27BC-47F3-B4C9-822655AE00B4.jpeg
    248.4 KB · Views: 133
  • A3CCBAA9-2AB8-4757-8664-E146311EC52F.jpeg
    A3CCBAA9-2AB8-4757-8664-E146311EC52F.jpeg
    277.7 KB · Views: 128

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2009
I have focusing issues still with my iPhone 12 Pro Max with closeup shots.. Has trouble and struggles to focus

Limeybastid

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2019
Florida Unfortunately
lol this thread reminds me of when I participating in the Samsung note 20 ultra forums. Same old complaints. It’s the sensor size. Either crop, zoom or stand further back. Non issue.

black_knight

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2021
Could someone explain why that a larger sensor would contribute to focus issues on close-up shots? Logically, you would think that the larger sensor would be better for close-up focusing.

josiahbarron

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2021
I have an iPhone 12 Pro Max and it only happens when I'm trying to take an up close picture of my subject. The phone has trouble auto focusing that's what I've come to realize. But as you can hear from the video it makes this weird sound when struggling too as well. I too myself hope that this is all a software issue that has to do with the back LIDAR sensor, because I don't think Apple would've announced the iPhone with a issue has problematic as this.

rawCpoppa

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2010
I have an iPhone 12 Pro Max and it only happens when I'm trying to take an up close picture of my subject. The phone has trouble auto focusing that's what I've come to realize. But as you can hear from the video it makes this weird sound when struggling too as well. I too myself hope that this is all a software issue that has to do with the back LIDAR sensor, because I don't think Apple would've announced the iPhone with a issue has problematic as this. View attachment 1731606

How close is this? Mine doesn’t make that noise.

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
I have an iPhone 12 Pro Max and it only happens when I'm trying to take an up close picture of my subject. The phone has trouble auto focusing that's what I've come to realize. But as you can hear from the video it makes this weird sound when struggling too as well. I too myself hope that this is all a software issue that has to do with the back LIDAR sensor, because I don't think Apple would've announced the iPhone with a issue has problematic as this. View attachment 1731606
something is not right there. Sounds like the AF mechanism on the lens is bad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.