Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DexBell

Suspended
Oct 23, 2016
Yes that works.

But it should work closer, too, like it works with the iPhone 12 and all other predecessors.

Look at the video above of @Stan.06 and EVEN YOU should be able to recognise the focussing of the regular 12 versus the not focussing of the 12 Pro!
How do you know it should work closer? The regular 12 and its predecessors don't have a LiDAR sensor on it. I'll gladly trade a closer focusing distance for the LiDAR. These issues reported here are all in lower light where LiDAR kicks in. No one has had any issues outdoors or all the reviewers testing the iPhone 12 Pro camera on YT would have been reporting it.

Reactions: Glideslope

DexBell

Suspended
Oct 23, 2016
So I've tested the Iphone 12 Pro and the Iphone 12. It's probably the lidar sensor? But the 12 pro won't autofocus no matter what, even when I tap the screen manually, it stays blurry.
image0.jpg

It will focus if you move the iPhone back a few inches. How close are you to the paper? How far do you need to get for it to focus. Just posting something like this with zero details doesn't help anyone.

MacFan782040

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2003
Why hasn’t it come up in any of the dozens of iPhone 12 pro camera test online? It’s people who don’t know what they are doing and don’t understand minimum focusing distance who are having issues.
I'm a professional photographer. I'm well versed in focal lengths and macro focusing. I have an iPhone XS and an iPhone 12 Pro. They do not perform the same. There is a focusing issue with the iPhone 12 Pro. Please don't comment unless you have facts and data in front of you.

jin1212

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2017
it’s called minimum focusing distance, and every lens Has it. The iPhone doesn’t have macro capabilities and is not going to focus on something a few inches in front of it. Are people This clueless?
Just curious, do you own an iPhone 12 pro? We have many iPhone 12 pro owners sharing their experiences of this issue, and I'm sure many of us upgraded from an older iPhone and know how the macro camera should behave (even comparing it side by side).

Antonino Lanzarone

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2020
I've been testing 12 pro with 11, and under the same conditions the 12 pro doesn't set fire once in 10 while iPhone 11 perfect fire. What I do not understand, however, is why online recreens have not noticed this problem and no one talks about it?

LonestarOne

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2019
McKinney, TX
Taken from 2.5 inches with my iPhone 11. Forgive the lighting but the focus is precise.

The only thing you’ve proven is that different lenses have different minimum focusing distances.

To quote one reviewer on YouTube, “The iPhone 12 Pro has a slightly greater minimum focusing distance than the iPhone 11 Pro.”

Once again, before you conclude that something is a bug or a malfunction, you should check the specs and make sure what you’re seeing is not expected behavior.

alFR

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2006
Once again, before you conclude that something is a bug or a malfunction, you should check the specs and make sure what you’re seeing is not expected behavior.
Testing with Halide shows that my 12 Pro can manually focus at the same minimum focal distance as my 11 Pro. At the same minimum focal distance, AF fails on the 12, works on the 11. I can’t think of any other explanation for that than an AF bug.

MacFan782040

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2003
The only thing you’ve proven is that different lenses have different minimum focusing distances.

To quote one reviewer on YouTube, “The iPhone 12 Pro has a slightly greater minimum focusing distance than the iPhone 11 Pro.”

When it sometimes works, sometimes doesn't, under the same conditions - that's a bug

Reactions: Glideslope

Stan.06

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2020
It will focus if you move the iPhone back a few inches. How close are you to the paper? How far do you need to get for it to focus. Just posting something like this with zero details doesn't help anyone.
Ok, explain then why the 12 can focus and not the 12 pro. There is clearly a picture of a 12 pro compared to a 12 poiting at a paper with the same amount of distance.
I used 2 books to elevate them, so only their camera sticks out. The height of those books are at ~8cm.
I mean that's clear evidence that there must be something wrong with the 12 pro, if you want more details, you could also ask nicely.

Reactions: Lukkee24

DumbPhone

Suspended
Sep 6, 2020
On some iPhones, you have to ZOOM IN for closeup/macro. I mentioned this earlier on this thread.

DexBell

Suspended
Oct 23, 2016
Testing with Halide shows that my 12 Pro can manually focus at the same minimum focal distance as my 11 Pro. At the same minimum focal distance, AF fails on the 12, works on the 11. I can’t think of any other explanation for that than an AF bug.
Lets see post video of it. Thanks

andyw715

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2013
I don't remember what the max aperture is of the pro but I do know focusing what you intend to, wide open, with fast glass (f/1.4) is difficult due to the thin field of view/depth of field. The focal plane is the same regardless of f stop but f/2.0 is more forgiving.

FangRock

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2007
UK
I’m seeing the same with my 12 pro. Bloody annoying. I’m thinking that only in certain lighting conditions Lidar kicks in (ie very low light). It’s dark here, could someone do a test at the same distance outside? If it is Lidar, that could be a software fix.

Coffee_Time

Cancelled
Nov 22, 2017
So after some research, LG makes the high end 12 pro max ones, wile o film and sharp makes the 12 and 12 mini ones. So this is a issue between these 3 suppliers, but I doubt it's LG. Maybe that o film... Anyway, there you have the camera lottery... ? ? ? ?
Stop complaining and move on. It's because of this?

DexBell

Suspended
Oct 23, 2016
Just got back from the T-Mobile store because I had to go try this out for myself. I had zero problems taking photos of my 11 Pro Max with the main camera on the 12 Pro at normal distances of about 3-6 inches in not so great lighting. It focussed instantly where I wanted when I tapped the screen. It was only when I put my iPhone within a few inches of the camera that it wouldn't focus, which is pretty typical, but then it refocussed immediately as soon as I moved my phone back an inch or two. As Ive been saying, minimum focussing distance is a thing and its a little further for the 12 Pro, probably because of the LiDAR sensor.

So for those in here with issues, either you all have detective iPhones (which is unlikely) or you are trying to take photos/video at too close of a distance to your subject in low light. There is nothing wrong with the 12 Pro camera. Next.

Attachments

• IMG_0666.JPG
    IMG_0666.JPG
    262.1 KB · Views: 777
  • IMG_0016.jpg
    IMG_0016.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_0017.jpg
    IMG_0017.jpg
    212.6 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_0019.jpg
    IMG_0019.jpg
    203.4 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:
Reactions: the future

itsmilo

Suspended
Sep 15, 2016
Berlin, Germany
Just got back from the T-Mobile store because I had to go try this out for myself. I had zero problems taking photos of my 11 Pro Max with the main camera on the 12 Pro at normal distances of about 3-6 inches in not so great lighting. It focussed instantly where I wanted when I tapped the screen. It was only when I put my iPhone within a few inches of the camera that it wouldn't focus, which is pretty typical, but then it refocussed immediately as soon as I moved my phone back an inch or two. As Ive been saying, minimum focussing distance is a thing and its a little further for the 12 Pro, probably because of the LiDAR sensor.

So for those in here with issues, either you all have detective iPhones (which is unlikely) or you are trying to take photos/video at too close of a distance to your subject in low light. There is nothing wrong with the 12 Pro camera. Next.

so youre saying a one thousand bucks phone is expected to focus worse than a years old iPhone 7 as shown above?

DexBell

Suspended
Oct 23, 2016
so youre saying a one thousand bucks phone is expected to focus worse than a years old iPhone 7 as shown above?
They are doing it wrong. They have the 12 in video mode while the 7 is in photo mode. Oh and they just joined the forum 10 days ago, imagine that. Probably a Google or Samsung shill.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.