Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DexBell

Suspended
Oct 23, 2016
As for DexBell, it’s amazing how he wants to discredit many of us who are noticing the issue on our phones constantly when he tried one demo unit in good lighting and assumes that’s proof we don’t know what we’re doing.
You call a T-Mobile store "good lighting"? ?

The 12 Pro was locked down and I had to wedge my iPhone under it to get the shots. It was anything but "good lighting".

FangRock

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2007
UK
There is 100% something not right here. Mine is jumping in abs out of focus, almost as if it’s switching between lenses. It’s really bad.

Reactions: Devhux

alFR

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2006
If no one is getting focused shots closer than 8cm, then it is likely a difference in design and really folks, it is still just a phone, not a Micro-Nikkor on 6" of bellows extension.
Yeah, that's not really the issue though: we know what the MFD is. The issue I'm seeing is that at ranges where I can manually focus the lens (as confirmed by focus peaking in Halide), as well as distances for a couple of inches above that, the AF doesn't work reliably. That's why I think it's a software issue, not an issue with the hardware: if it was a hardware limit it wouldn't work with MF either.

Macshroomer

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009
Yeah, that's not really the issue though: we know what the MFD is. The issue I'm seeing is that at ranges where I can manually focus the lens (as confirmed by focus peaking in Halide), as well as distances for a couple of inches above that, the AF doesn't work reliably. That's why I think it's a software issue, not an issue with the hardware: if it was a hardware limit it wouldn't work with MF either.
I did cite that above in my effort to take AF pics of my healing foot, I do think that part is buggy. I was just shedding light on the fact that so many were saying the phone was broke due to not being able to focus as closely as they were use to.

Hopefully it gets addressed in a FW update.

DexBell

Suspended
Oct 23, 2016
Who is really shooting photos with their iPhone literally on top of their subject? Pretty much no one. Im pretty sure most people complaining are Google or Samsung shills trying to create problems. Like the brand new member here who posted the video a few pages back with an iPhone 7 and the 12 Pro showing the 12 pro wouldn't focus at the same distance. Look at the video, the 7 is in photo mode while the 12 is in video made. No reply from the user when I asked why that was.

I tried an iPhone 12 Pro for myself yesterday in crap lighting and had zero issues focussing on my 11 Pro Max further than 2 inches away from the 12 Pros camera. If its not shills, its user error, some people need to learn how to use a camera.

Last edited:

IphoneX9753

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2020
Definitely appears to be related to low light shots. I was less than 2 inches away from the flower in this picture...no problems focusing. Trying to take a picture inside at the same distance foreground subject is blurry and background crystal clear.

Attachments

• B9CD374C-3C7D-456C-AEE2-B01504AC0674.jpeg
    B9CD374C-3C7D-456C-AEE2-B01504AC0674.jpeg
    362.1 KB · Views: 202

Stan.06

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2020
Who is really shooting photos with their iPhone literally on top of their subject? Pretty much no one. Im pretty sure most people complaining are Google or Samsung shills trying to create problems. Like the brand new member here who posted the video a few pages back with an iPhone 7 and the 12 Pro showing the 12 pro wouldn't focus at the same distance. Look at the video, the 7 is in photo mode while the 12 is in video made. No reply from the user when I asked why that was.

I tried an iPhone 12 Pro for myself yesterday in crap lighting and had zero issues focussing on my 11 Pro Max further than 2 inches away from the 12 Pros camera. If its not shills, its user error, some people need to learn how to use a camera.
Ok Mr.Iknoweverything.
It's funny how people in this forum think that just because we are new, we must be associated with other brands or some other nonsense. I post here because I care about my product, and the more visibility we can get from an issue (software especially), the fastest it will be fixed by Apple. Then, why would I waste my money on an Iphone 7+, a 12, and a 12 pro if I am an Android user, there are so many more interesting things to do in life than buying a competitor's product and trashing it on forums. I stopped answering because there is no point debating with someone like you, we give you the evidence of a "bug" and you still deny it despite it being brought up by multiple people, all owners of a 12 pro.

Then @Macshroomer pointed this out really well, there is an issue probably AF with close distance objects. I have nothing more to add to that.

@qap has also explained this pretty well, so I'll leave it here.
Photographer here on iPhone 12 pro. Yes I can confirm there’s a software bug with AF and normal lens, the bug is in the AF-lock, the camera starts to acquires the focus but when you go close it tries to switch to other lens or lidar to acquire the focus, and it fails but instead to go back to the old focus point, it get blurred.

There’s absolutely no hardware failures, this thing is razor sharp and get the focus very well, only you have to touch the screen to acquire the focus and do it before go close to the focus point.

This is really a minor bug, I don’t have trouble with it, you just have to know it and how to focus.

Here is another video I took with an iPhone 12 and 12 pro, illustrating this issue, so stop denying that there is no issue at all. Yes, it may come from the LiDAR, so I hope Apple will fix this in a future patch note.
This is why I stopped debating about this, I have other stuff to do with my time than waste it here, trying to feed a troll who clearly denies that there may be a bug here.
I tried an iPhone 12 Pro for myself yesterday in crap lighting and had zero issues focussing on my 11 Pro Max further than 2 inches away from the 12 Pros camera.

DarArchibald

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2020
There is 100% something not right here. Mine is jumping in abs out of focus, almost as if it’s switching between lenses. It’s really bad.
Mine seems fine. Maybe try to exchange your device at the Apple Store?
Ok Mr.Iknoweverything.
It's funny how people in this forum think that just because we are new, we must be associated with other brands or some other nonsense. I post here because I care about my product, and the more visibility we can get from an issue (software especially), the fastest it will be fixed by Apple. Then, why would I waste my money on an Iphone 7+, a 12, and a 12 pro if I am an Android user, there are so many more interesting things to do in life than buying a competitor's product and trashing it on forums. I stopped answering because there is no point debating with someone like you, we give you the evidence of a "bug" and you still deny it despite it being brought up by multiple people, all owners of a 12 pro.

Then @Macshroomer pointed this out really well, there is an issue probably AF with close distance objects. I have nothing more to add to that.

Here is another video I took with an iPhone 12 and 12 pro, illustrating this issue, so stop denying that there is no issue at all. Yes, it may come from the LiDAR, so I hope Apple will fix this in a future patch note.
This is why I stopped debating about this, I have other stuff to do with my time than waste it here, trying to feed a troll who clearly denies that there may be a bug here.

How many mm / inches are the phones away from the subject?

Alfieg

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2011
Yeah man, the people not seeing this issue just need to purchase a ruler. I think that's all we have here, is some folks don't really know what an inch looks like.

FangRock

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2007
UK
This thread is proper bringing the trolls out. Close up autofocus indoors is broken. I’m convinced it can be fixed with software. If they can fix video orbs too, that would be super. I’m not saying Apple is doomed. Just confirming there is a bug with semi low light close up autofocus. I googled when I first noticed it. That brought me here.

DexBell

Suspended
Oct 23, 2016
Ok Mr.Iknoweverything.

We have told you repeatedly that the iPhone 12 Pro has a further MFD than the 12 or other iPhones, probably due to the LiDAR sensor. Doesn't matter how much you want it to perform just like other iPhone models, bottom line is its a different camera system. So this is USER ERROR. Move your iPhone 12 Pro back another inch and it will work just fine. Next.

DexBell

Suspended
Oct 23, 2016
8cm
It eventually ended up focusing, just after multiple tries of pointing the camera to a further object.
There ya go buddy! Yes, its called MINIMUM FOCUSSING DISTANCE. The 12 Pro has a slightly longer one of about 3 inches or so. We have been pointing this out for 4 pages now. Nothing is wrong with the 12 Pro camera.

Antonino Lanzarone

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2020
There ya go buddy! Yes, its called MINIMUM FOCUSSING DISTANCE. The 12 Pro has a slightly longer one of about 3 inches or so. We have been pointing this out for 4 pages now. Nothing is wrong with the 12 Pro camera.
But I'm sorry, do you have a 12 pro iphones too, so that you can say that?

DexBell

Suspended
Oct 23, 2016
But I'm sorry, do you have a 12 pro iphones too, so that you can say that?

DexBell

Suspended
Oct 23, 2016
Definitely appears to be related to low light shots. I was less than 2 inches away from the flower in this picture...no problems focusing. Trying to take a picture inside at the same distance foreground subject is blurry and background crystal clear.
Yep, its because of the LiDAR kicking on in lower light. Doesn't mean that its broken, that's probably just how the new camera system works. I had no problems with it focussing around 3 inches or more inside the T-Mobile store yesterday in not so great lighting. It was only when I jammed my iPhone right up on it that it wouldn't focus, but I wouldn't expect it to.

DexBell

Suspended
Oct 23, 2016
Here is my 11 Pro Max doing the same thing as the 12 Pro when I try to focus on something within 3 inches from it. Focusses perfectly as soon as I move it back about 3-4 inches from my subject, who knew?! :D

Reactions: DarArchibald

alFR

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2006
It's funny how people in this forum think that just because we are new, we must be associated with other brands or some other nonsense. I post here because I care about my product, and the more visibility we can get from an issue (software especially), the fastest it will be fixed by Apple.
Agreed. No-one is saying the camera sucks, the phone sucks, or Apple sucks: all we’re doing is trying to work out what’s causing an issue (which occurs in a specific set of circumstances so could easily be missed in testing and won’t affect everyone) and get it fixed. I don’t know why some people (who are now on my ignore list, a forum feature that I encourage everyone to use liberally) take it so personally, you'd think we were insulting their mothers or something.

FangRock

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2007
UK
Here is my 11 Pro Max doing the same thing as the 12 Pro when I try to focus on something within 3 inches from it. Focusses perfectly as soon as I move it back about 3-4 inches from my subject, who knew?! :D

View attachment 976611
Interesting. As long as you’re happy. That isn’t my problem though. I have to move back 6-7 inches to get it to focus.

DexBell

Suspended
Oct 23, 2016
Just got back from testing another 12 Pro at a different store. This time I brought a CD case to test. As you can see in the first two, they are out of focus and it struggled with focusing like I’ve seen here. Going blurry and then hunting for focus. That’s because I was holding the case about 2 inches from the camera. As soon as I moved it back to around 3 inches, it immediately locked focus when I tapped to focus. So again, there is nothing wrong with the 12 Pro main camera. Those having issues are trying to focus to close to their subject.

DE38A59B-087A-4C19-8AFA-CD93F8422114.jpeg 69F4A4A3-A5D5-4C01-A238-B1948149CE04.jpeg B320B312-EFCD-41B5-AF54-2440F52A390C.jpeg 35D72827-E9E9-4565-858A-94A7B71C47D6.jpeg 451E9C00-A0BB-4BD9-BB9D-FE97CE8DD87D.jpeg

dolphin2421

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2015
Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
Same here with my new iPhone 12 Pro, which I received Friday...

I’m having the same issue. Thought it was me... but the camera hunts for focus much harder than my 11Pro. Disappointing. Mine arrived Friday, too, and so I thought I’d give it the weekend to see if it was a pervasive issue or just my phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.