Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hot-gril

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2020
Northern California, USA
That's actually a terrible idea to swap to NAND storage since it has finite write endurance compared to nearly infinite for DRAM.
It's finite, but it's still a lot. I ran databases on SSDs for 2 years with heavy write bandwidth (entire disk overwritten every week or so) and many iops, didn't see significant slowdowns. I think the SSD wear problem is old, and maybe TRIM and wear leveling mostly negated it.

Last edited:

NetMage

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2007
On one hand it's good Apple isn't cheapening out on DRAM on flagships but on the other hand the upsell to pricier Pro models. In comparison the $699 Pixel 5 has 8GB DRAM compared to $879 iPhone 12 that has half the DRAM at 4GB.
In comparison the Pixel 5 is 2.7x slower than the iPhone 12 CPU so why doesn’t it cost $325?
Perhaps phones are more than a single spec?

And at $699 for three major annual Android revisions versus $879 for at least six major annual iOS revisions, the iPhone 12 is a little over half the cost per year - so why does a phone almost three times slower cost 1.6x as much? Is Android that expensive to develop?

Last edited:

smulji

macrumors 68030
Feb 21, 2011
I think that 6GB of RAM is only for the 1TB Model because of how huge the storage is. I don’t know if 4GB is enough for 1TB of space due to memory management issues, which is why 512GB and below of 2018 iPad Pro could handle 4GB

unless someone can correct me
All the iPad Pro 2020 models have 6GB RAM now, right from the 128GB model on up. It isn't like the 2018 models where only the 1TB storage models had 6GB RAM.

vmistery

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2010
UK
That's actually a terrible idea to swap to NAND storage since it has finite write endurance compared to nearly infinite for DRAM.
Depends on what it is I guess, it matters a lot less on something with a user replaceable drive. I’d imagine Apple has to do some sort of state saving to flash even if they don’t use traditional swap?

polyphenol

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2020
Wales
Apples naming schemes always give me a chuckle. They really should ditch the number value associated to the phone. Just get it over with. Or do they intend to have a iPhone 24 at some point? Call the 12 Pro Max the 2020 iPhone Pro 6.7inch.

iPhone 44 Extreme Ultra Pro Max.
Drag Apple into the 20th century?

How about the 2020 iPhone Pro 170 mm? And:
2020 iPhone 138 mm
2020 iPhone 154 mm
2020 iPhone Pro 154 mm

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
6GB or 4GB, iPhone at its current form cannot do any multitasking no matter what. Hopefully app can retain in the background a bit longer for 6GB iPhone.

hot-gril

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2020
Northern California, USA
In comparison the Pixel 5 is 2.7x slower than the iPhone 12 CPU so why doesn’t it cost $325?
Perhaps phones are more than a single spec?

And at $699 for three major annual Android revisions versus $879 for at least six major annual iOS revisions, the iPhone 12 is a little over half the cost per year - so why does a phone almost three times slower cost 1.6x as much? Is Android that expensive to develop?
But seriously, the Pixel is a worse value considering they stop providing updates so quickly, unless you really don't care about security.

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
The differences in camera features are probably negligible to some, but I’m a pro photographer so sensor size is a big deal to me. To each their own, but I am just wishing Apple would have kept the feature set consistent across the pro line.
I said aside from the sensor size, and then went on to explain that there is room for a bigger sensor because it’s a bigger phone.

I’m also a pro photographer, though I’m not sure how most of my clients would react if I turned up for a shoot with my iPhone.

Reactions: GuruZac

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
I am interested to know, if the display panels of the 12 pro and the regular 12 are the same - or build the same as I should say. Same pixels, color depth and so... Mhhh, so if there's no difference there's no need for me to choose the 12 pro because I don't use the camera a lot and the stainless steel isn't relevant for me. Battery should be the same if not better on the regular 12 because no LIDAR and 2 GB less memory to power.
If you go onto the Apple tech spec site everything looks the same including P3 and max HDR brightness of 1200 nits But but the 12 Pro model showing 800 nits max typical versus 625 nits for the regular 12. I’m not sure how that’s going to look in person. I’m really considering getting non-pro model since the regular model has most of everything the Pro Max has except LiDAR and a wider angle camera. Then again there’s only a $220 price difference for the 128/256 GB models.

Reactions: polyphenol

Dolmio

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2020
Is the 12 Pro really that worth it compared to a 12?
I currently have a 7+ and want to upgrade to a 256GB iPhone. However, the difference between the 12 and 12Pro is about 150£, making it more than 1000£, which seems a lot.
I'm not a heavy heavy user, although I like to shoot the best quality possible since I'm a designer. I always managed to shot RAW on my 7+ with very good quality. so I guess the normal would do?
I don't see many advantages for the LiDAR yet, seems a bit software restricted...
If you looking to shoot then the pro is for you . Pro raw looks interesting. If you not too interested in photography / videography so much the 12 is almost the same as the pro for everything else

polyphenol

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2020
Wales
I said aside from the sensor size, and then went on to explain that there is room for a bigger sensor because it’s a bigger phone.

I’m also a pro photographer, though I’m not sure how most of my clients would react if I turned up for a shoot with my iPhone.
An obvious opening for a MagSafe attachment:

The "Looks like a real camera" option allows you to attach a metal and plastic box to an iPhone 12 Pro. Available in several designs. Looks like SLR, Looks like medium-format, Looks like fancy digital camera, and for Hollywood weddings, Looks like Panaflex. :)

polyphenol

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2020
Wales
Earlier rumours suggested that at least some of the 12 range would have 6 GB RAM because that is the minimum unit size of LPDDR5 memory.

Has anyone seen proof either way? Do all 12 phones have the same speed memory? Do the non-Pro models actually have 6 physically but only use 4? Do none of them use LPDDR5

Bane-Thunder

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2014
So...I found this interesting. I was leaning for the gold, because (you might think this is dumb...) My favorite color is usually Orange. I was hoping to get an orange-like color. Sadly, we cannot see these before I commit on Friday. The Gold may be stunning....I do not know. Gold is not orange. What if I get the gold and it turns out it looks like a 1970's brass faucet...? I know they say in houses brass is coming back, but for me it just looks dated. A friend of mine just told me that the gold is "a bling-like female color". That was HIS words, not mine. After all that, I think I'll wuss out and order the iphone12Pro blue Friday. Unless they showed more pictures or I could see something that convinces me other-wise. Please...no bashing....

So i have the iPhone 11 Pro Gold and its fantastic catches alot of peoples eye. This gold is great and very different to the Rose Gold of the past which was basically Pink and feminine.

The 12 Pro - Gold looks the same as the 11 pro gold from the pics as it stands so thats definitely the go to since I can't have Navy blue and I refuse to go for a regular 12.

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️

Lol, this reminds of something my wife would say. She’s also a professional photographer and impressed as she is with her 11 Pro, there’s simply no comparison between smartphones and quality DSLR/Mirrorless. But nobody is really comparing the two. What is significant is how amazing of a point and shoot and video capture the iPhones are now. And that just got a lot better this year. I’m still really impressed with what I can capture on my 11 Pro.

vmistery

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2010
UK
iOS doesn't swap AFAIK.
It doesn't do traditional swapping no but what I mean is it might suspend all the apps running data to disk so it can just pull it back in when the app is brought back into use rather than just terminating the App and forcing a complete reload.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.