Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anson42

Contributor
Mar 13, 2014
Oakland, CA
Interestingly, AT&T has a promo where the iPhone 12 is essentially free if you have the right kind of plan and intend to keep it for 30 months, so I ordered the red 12 for my wife, upgrading her phone from an 8, arrives next Friday. Reminds me of the old phone plans. There's plenty of stock at AT&T it seems.

(I'll be duking it out with the rest of you in Nov for the blue Pro Max via IUP.)

iReality85

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2008
Upstate NY
Managed to order myself a Graphite 12 Pro 128GB for in-store pick up on the 23rd. The app was a pain in the rear though. Didn't realize you can't reserve and pay in-store now.
Paid with Apple Pay and then had a pop-up saying the payment method failed? Despite this I do have an order number and the confirmation email and on the order details on the main website it does say pay in full with Apple Pay. Hopefully everything goes through ok.

I ordered the same config. :)

I used the good old fashioned website first thing this morning and had zero issue. And that was even with signing up for Apple Card and getting approval. Seems most of the problems people had were with the store app / mobile site.

FlyingDutch

macrumors 65816
Aug 21, 2019
Eindhoven (NL)
This happens almost every single time, so we can probably assume it is just a part of Apple’s launch show to build up the hype. At least nowadays not so many people are willing to camp/queue by the Apple Stores the day before the launch, so I guess there is some progress. ?
There is no hype.
they are actually selling iPhone...

Reactions: matrix07

TVreporter

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2012
Near Toronto
Ugh the base 12 is $1,129 Canadian.... that's ridiculous. ... $1,339 for the 256GB... $1,513.07 taxes total.

I can't justify that....

Curious how sales will go in Canada with these prices. The mini might do better.

Bea220

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2020
SoCal
I have two pros ordered in Pacific Blue. I ordered the first one and clicked standard shipping, but was disappointed in the delivery date of 11/3-11/6. Then ordered a 2nd one with $8.00 express shipping which they say will be delivered 10/30-11/4. Sigh. I did not know it would have been faster if I clicked "pick up at store" Store is 45 minutes away but I would have done that. I'll see which one actually gets here first and cancel the other order I suppose. I do not need two of them. I would have gone to the store if only for seeing the other colors, as I also wanted to see the gold one.

Call Apple and see if you can change it to pickup (if still available).

I had the same issue. I was awake since 3:30, hopped on at 4:30 a.m. waited for 5 to strike only to encounter the 4 minute pause of "We are tightening things up a bit". When I finally got through everything after multiple timeouts the available dates were 11/3-11/10 (or something to that nature). I ordered it with express not realizing that the main window is during the one weekend we won't be home. I wish I hadn't shelled out for express. I always have the worst luck pre-ordering iPhones. I didn't even realize we could pick up in store date of release until AFTER I placed my order. I called Apple and they can't make any changes this soon and by the time I finally got through to someone all of the pick up options were gone, anyway. I'm so bummed. I can't wait to have a decent experience. Live and learn I guess.

I am excited to replace my X with the 12 Pro Pacific Blue. Just have to figure out who can be there on the day it gets delivered. What a shame I won't get my phone in time for our trip to Lake Tahoe. Woulda had some BEAUTIFUL shots.

Dolmio

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2020
i went back to 256GB this year. i got 512GB last year and have been surprised to see that I’m averaging 150GB of actual use and I don’t even have the automagic management of letting go of unused apps on and looking at my apps now I could easily save another 50GB with a tad bit of active management. I understand the feeling of never wanting to run out though!
I’m also thinking 256gb is prob enough for me . Though I’m gonna hold out for the pro max

Bea220

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2020
SoCal
I ordered the same config. :)

I used the good old fashioned website first thing this morning and had zero issue. And that was even with signing up for Apple Card and getting approval. Seems most of the problems people had were with the store app / mobile site.

I tried the site too. I kept getting "Bad Gateway" error messages and finally got through on the app.

Did you get the "we are tightening things up" message at the preorder start time?

I can't wait to get a new MBP though... I'm still rocking a 2013 MBP and I'm dying for them to announce the next one.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
inventory is quickly dwindling, so customers should order as soon as possible.

So is this posted by an actual bot? Phrases like this always strike me as odd. I doubt there’s an inventory leak where those phones will go to waste if no one orders, and customers ordering as soon as possible will just make inventory dwindle more quickly.

iPlaid

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2010
Refreshed the window 'til the store came up...
Sky Blue iPad Air 256 10/23 Express Shipping (only option)
Pacific Blue iPhone 12 Pro 256 10/23 Standard Shipping
MagSafe Charger 10/21 Standard Shipping

Gonna try a $16 Spigen clear cover with MagSafe
(can't stand the $49 Apple version)
Spigen has 20% off through Oct 20.

Bea220

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2020
SoCal
Refreshed the window 'til the store came up...
Sky Blue iPad Air 256 10/23 Express Shipping (only option)
Pacific Blue iPhone 12 Pro 256 10/23 Standard Shipping
MagSafe Charger 10/21 Standard Shipping

Gonna try a $16 Spigen clear cover with MagSafe
(can't stand the $49 Apple version)
Spigen has 20% off through Oct 20.

I must be one of the few that actually likes the Apple Mag case. I ordered the clear one. I've been charged for it as of a few moments ago so I guess it's nice that something is shipping out quickly!

I had a ton of site issues and best ship times I could snag are 10/30 - 11/4. I won't even be in town so I'm hoping UPS/Fed Ex (whomever they are using for Express) won't need a signature or I can at least waive it.

I suppose anything beats the year I got my X delivered to my office where I waited until 8 p.m. and finally went home only to be notified 30 minutes later that they tried delivering it as soon as I gave up. Picking it up at UPS was FUN after that. Had to go TWICE. Man, one year I'll know how it feels to have an order like yours. ?

Also, DAMMIT... totally forgot to order the charger ?

Last edited:
Reactions: iPlaid

Bea220

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2020
SoCal
Speaking of carriers... does everyone order from the Apple site or have any of you had luck with your carriers? I almost ordered it through Verizon but I got the Apple app/store to work (finally). I was nervous to order it elsewhere but something tells me I might have had more luck through Verizon.

NewYorkRanger

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2010
Decided to go from 11 Max Pro to the 12 Pro. Hoping I don't regret not waiting for the larger screen.
The 11 Pro Max was already too big, the very thought of a larger phone is a turn off to me. Much like you, I "downgraded" in size, but "upgraded" in lifestyle by not carrying a brick everywhere. I use my phone as my Tesla Key so I have to carry it everywhere, the Pro Max barely fits in the charger bay so I am looking forward to the smaller size.

faithfulFrank

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2003
Central Florida
I had the same issue. I was awake since 3:30, hopped on at 4:30 a.m. waited for 5 to strike only to encounter the 4 minute pause of "We are tightening things up a bit". When I finally got through everything after multiple timeouts the available dates were 11/3-11/10 (or something to that nature). I ordered it with express not realizing that the main window is during the one weekend we won't be home. I wish I hadn't shelled out for express. I always have the worst luck pre-ordering iPhones. I didn't even realize we could pick up in store date of release until AFTER I placed my order. I called Apple and they can't make any changes this soon and by the time I finally got through to someone all of the pick up options were gone, anyway. I'm so bummed. I can't wait to have a decent experience. Live and learn I guess.

I am excited to replace my X with the 12 Pro Pacific Blue. Just have to figure out who can be there on the day it gets delivered. What a shame I won't get my phone in time for our trip to Lake Tahoe. Woulda had some BEAUTIFUL shots.
I'm going from a iphone6+, (still in perfect condition) to this...mainly because my 6+ will not work with the new iwatch6. I wanted to at least see the gold, but it seems that the most popular is the Blue. You might get lucky...often Apple delivers earlier than they say. I went to Verizon yesterday to talk to them, got a bunch of sketchy promises and "deals". Finally just decided to order myself from Apple, pay in full, not trade in my worthless to them 6+. So I have 2 coming now.....I only need one, (my wife is still happy with her iphone6), so i'll cancel one of them. My iwatch6 w/Cell gets delivered today, but it will sit in the box until the phone comes in....sigh, first world problems.....haha.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
Any silver fans here? Went with the base Pro but silver. Used to be a grey/graphite person - then got a silver Apple Watch. Now want all things silver :p
I’m a silver person and have always been a silver person. I ended up picking Pacific Blue because Blue and Green are my favorite colors.

Last edited:

Bea220

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2020
SoCal
I'm going from a iphone6+, (still in perfect condition) to this...mainly because my 6+ will not work with the new iwatch6. I wanted to at least see the gold, but it seems that the most popular is the Blue. You might get lucky...often Apple delivers earlier than they say. I went to Verizon yesterday to talk to them, got a bunch of sketchy promises and "deals". Finally just decided to order myself from Apple, pay in full, not trade in my worthless to them 6+. So I have 2 coming now.....I only need one, (my wife is still happy with her iphone6), so i'll cancel one of them. My iwatch6 w/Cell gets delivered today, but it will sit in the box until the phone comes in....sigh, first world problems.....haha.

Smart man. Trading in on our old phones is hardly worth it. I always pass my phones down to a family member who isn't as "splurgy" as I am. I spoke with Verizon just to get more detail on their payment plan. I normally do buy my phones outright and keep them. I get a feeling that next year's iPhone will hopefully be amazing enough to upgrade to otherwise I will just pay off the 12 pro and keep it for a few years.

I'm dying for them to get rid of the "notch". I don't need the touch id... I'm okay with face id... I just wish they would have done something about our current mask dilema.

I hope you're right and I get it a tad bit early. I would love to take this thing to Tahoe with me.

So wait... you ordered both the Gold and Blue, right? Keeping the one you love the most?

Packers1958

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2017
South Dakota
Doesn't look like a mad rush to buy the 12 or 12 Pro this year. All the 12 variants are still available for delivery on the 23rd, and all variants of the 12 Pro only delayed until the 30th via Verizon 9 hours after launch.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.