Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
If you have to not only be in a pitch black room but also have to let your eyes adjust to this pitch blackness in order to replicate this issue, is it really a problem? It seems kind of ridiculous to follow steps in order to find a problem.....
It's a problem when for example you are watching video with dark scenes at night in bed with all lights turned off. That's how people started noticing the problem. Personally one reason I upgraded was to get true black background when reading Kindle at night, which wasn't possible with LCD screens. It's a bummer if a defect in the iPhone 12's doesn't give me that.

Joespontiac

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2018
Oh yeah! On my 12 pro max set at 50% brightness playing that video in a pitch black room you see it flicker on/off a couple of times when the player bar goes off the screen. Does it maybe twice and seems to be more prominent nearer the top of the phone round the notch and then goes completely black.
I’m on 14.2

truesepho

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2014
Same problem on my 12 Pro Max. As other people say, at high level of brightness it doesn’t seem to happen, but if you’re reading/watching videos in the dark with low screen brightness, it’s noticeable. A bit annoying to be fair on a £1000+ brand new phone, hopefully it’s just a software bug and will be addressed soon

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
On my 12 pro it flickers like every second with the gray. On the max I just got today it’s far better maybe once in 10 seconds.

Reactions: Rockhouse

Sorig

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2017
It's a bummer to hear the 12 Pro Max is also affected by this.

Has anybody tried looking at the boot up screen in a dark room? I'm thinking if the issue is there then most likely it's a hardware problem and not intentional.

Hamsterhjulet

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2015
Denmark
It's a bummer to hear the 12 Pro Max is also affected by this.

Has anybody tried looking at the boot up screen in a dark room? I'm thinking if the issue is there then most likely it's a hardware problem and not intentional.
On my iPhone 12 Pro I can see it on boot up too..

Sorig

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2017
On my iPhone 12 Pro I can see it on boot up too..
Damn. Really doubt it would be intentional then. Still, maybe the behavior could be overwritten by software via an iOS update if this gets enough traction and Apple acknowledges.

I wonder if this affects ALL iPhone 12 series in the wild but most people just don't notice.

I will have to hold off on purchasing a 12PM until this is sorted out.

taneff

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2019
Damn. Really doubt it would be intentional then. Still, maybe the behavior could be overwritten by software via an iOS update if this gets enough traction and Apple acknowledges.

I wonder if this affects ALL iPhone 12 series in the wild but most people just don't notice.

I too think it affects all OLEDs, but maybe, that could be, only from one certain producer. Maybe only from LG or Samsung or XY. Then I guess it would be a HW defect. But it could also be just that you don't see it. Just saw an article where it was about some people not seeing good at night because of a nutrition deficiency. And to be honest almost everyone is, esp in the US. I think there are a lot of people out there not seeing good at night and not seeing that. I see quite good but had to adjust to the 100% darkness before seeing it on the phone, like one person here suggest. Some maybe need minutes to do that. IMO it could be on every phone and is a software issue. Why has no prior OLED iPhone seem to have this issue but devices through the whole 12 lineup, not one specific device. That could be SW related. I have to check the reboot screen this night. That is indeed strange. Let's hope it is SW related. I love the mini, atm have no problems but this here. My OLED screen is way less yellow than the 11 Pros I tried before. Only thing, but could be the first night, 6% battery loss over night, in airplane mode with Push turned off.

Reactions: klasma

truesepho

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2014

Don’t know if it affects them all, but most people will not notice this. Last night I did some other test in pitch dark room. Opened a pure black image rather than the video, and if I set my brightness at lowest setting, the screen was never switching off the pixels as it should. If I raised the brightness even just a tiny bit, then it was switching them off 2/3 seconds after the home bar disappeared from the screen. If I raised brightness over 30/40%, then they were switching off straight away.
I suspect the pixels are never switching off completely when there are non-black elements on the screen and you are on a low brightness setting, which to me sounds like a software bug or maybe Apple intended it to be like this for some reason. Either way, it’s a strange behaviour for an OLED screen and hope it can be fixed...

Macintosh101

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2017
Don’t know if it affects them all, but most people will not notice this. Last night I did some other test in pitch dark room. Opened a pure black image rather than the video, and if I set my brightness at lowest setting, the screen was never switching off the pixels as it should. If I raised the brightness even just a tiny bit, then it was switching them off 2/3 seconds after the home bar disappeared from the screen. If I raised brightness over 30/40%, then they were switching off straight away.
I suspect the pixels are never switching off completely when there are non-black elements on the screen and you are on a low brightness setting, which to me sounds like a software bug or maybe Apple intended it to be like this for some reason. Either way, it’s a strange behaviour for an OLED screen and hope it can be fixed...

Yup, this is my exact experience with my 12 Pro Max.

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
I can confirm this also. Seems like a software issue.

WookieBlaster

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2020
I mentioned it before, but I believe this might be intentional. This prevents the black smearing when scrolling at low brightness levels since the pixels are “on” and won’t be delayed. This isn’t an issue past ~40% brightness, so at that point they can turn off. I’m still not sure which I prefer, the smearing or the slightly gray blacks at low brightness.
Except mine does this at all brightness levels. I get the same intensity of grey, from 0% all the way to 100%, and every step in between. Mine however flickers between true black and grey (for about 5 seconds) when at maximum brightness. In all honesty, I think my issue has gotten worse since the beginning of this forum. It’s bright enough now that I can easily see the issue in a medium lit room. Looks like a full fledged LCD now

RHoff1122

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2020
Was in our MediaMarkt (german store/shop) today but couldn't compare the black level problem there because it's too bright there. But I was able to make the brightness completely dark once and completely bright once in the settings and switch off Truetone. What could be seen very clearly, regardless of whether compared to a 12 pro or a Max, on my display/12pro always the writing e.g. in the menu for SW there where 14.2 is always clearly darker!?

At home my display glowing also grey/green

Either way, the display is not okay.

I have get a return number and will send my iPhone back to Apple the next week. Next Saturday we will pick up a 12 pro max from the Apple Store (Stuttgart). I hope that it is without errors. Think that the batch in the media market was good.
I will report.

Attachments

• BF316A7C-DF0D-4A30-A456-02A494D8F728.jpeg
    BF316A7C-DF0D-4A30-A456-02A494D8F728.jpeg
    503.5 KB · Views: 144
  • 830A1855-BD40-4F7B-BE31-ED414FD46788.jpeg
    830A1855-BD40-4F7B-BE31-ED414FD46788.jpeg
    512.9 KB · Views: 137
  • FA09BF54-BB28-45B9-AFE9-D6F0CD0D842F.jpeg
    FA09BF54-BB28-45B9-AFE9-D6F0CD0D842F.jpeg
    597.7 KB · Views: 151

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
It’s unlikely this is a software issue. I’m guessing this won’t affect >90% customers. Those who have this issue should ask for a replacement. This is exactly why Apple offers 14 days replacement/refund.

chrizzz09

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2013
Germany
Ok, I have now tested this with my 12 Pro and with my newly arrived 12 Pro Max and can reproduce this issue 100% of the time. The issue seems worse on the Pro Max than on the normal Pro. Also, my the results of the testing leads me to believe that this is probably a software issue and not a hardware issue, since the displays can get completely black for HDR content. It seems that there is a problem in how iOS handles HDR/SDR conversion of displayed content.

With that said, here is how you can reproduce it:

It is important to test in a completely dark environment and to let your eyes adjust for 1-2min to the darkness. This is honestly the most important point for testing IMHO. (This issue is probably mostly noticeable when your in bed at night and still on your phone instead of sleeping :) )

For testing you can use this site: https://www.lightbleedtest.com -> then use the "For iPhone/IPad" link to a short SDR video of a black image. Let the video menus and the home bar disappear and you'll see that the display will still emit a certain light. You can test this with different brightness levels of the display.

A more interesting test is this one:
Make sure to open it in the YouTube App so that it uses the HDR option. With HDR on and brightness to 100% black remains black and only the little white dot and the channel banner in the right corner is lit up. With brightness at 50% you can start to see flickering/a grayish background on the right and left side of the display, outside the 16:9 ratio of the video (see the first picture, I had to crank up the brightness all the way up to make it visible).

IMG_3374.jpeg

As you can see, the middle area of the display is perfectly black (as it should be for OLED), but the sides struggle to match this blackness and flicker between a light emitting state and a non-light emitting state. This makes me believe that it is more of a software issue, rather than a hardware issue, since the displays are clearly capable of displaying true black.

You can test this with different sets of brightness levels and will see that all, except for 100% brightness, show some kind of this behavior.

Now what's interesting is, that when you have the video paused and look for the issue, the display correctly converts the blacks to true blacks, but when the video is running, the elevated blacks are there again.

The final test you can make is to now put your phone into battery saving mode (this disables HDR video on the iPhone) and watch the same video again. In this mode the whole display now emits a glow or flickers depending on your brightness level.
(See the second picture, again, I had to crank the brightness all the way up to make it visible in the picture and I used night-mode camera of the iPhone, so its not that crazy looking in real life, like in the picture.)

IMG_3376.jpeg

Lastly, I recorded a little clip of this video (displayed in SDR mode) with the 12 Pro camera and cranked up luminance, brightness and lighting in post-prod to make it somehow visible in video form.

The video is paused and at first you can see the whole screen glow like in the second picture, but after a couple of seconds the screen glow disappears and the phone displays a true black background (as OLED should).
Watch when it changes from 0:13 to 0:14 seconds right at the end, afterwards the camera tries to refocus again. You can still see the white dot and the red logo, but the black background changed from the dark glow to a complete OLED true black. Unfortunately, this behavior does not translate when the video is playing, so we are left with a glowing "black" instead of the true blacks of OLED displays.

The test with the HDR video leads me to believe that something on the software side is bugged and iOS has issues with addressing the correct HDR/SDR conversion of content on the display. The displays are clearly capable of displaying a true black image when certain circumstances are given.
Also the fact that this issue happens on my 12 Pro and my 12 Pro Max (which, based on the serial number, were manufactured at different factories), leads me to believe that either, I got incredibly unlucky and got two hardware failures in a row from two different manufacturing batches and across two different models, or it is indeed a software issue.

(Or, I guess, the third possibility is that all the displays are completely ****ed and every iPhone sold from launch till now has these defective screens, which would mean that Apple just shipped millions of hardware defect displays on their new phones. But I think that is indeed the less likely possibility.)

Last edited:

RHoff1122

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2020
If it would a SW issue than a static picture like in the Menu or in the clock App (dark mode) shouldn’t have the behavior but it have!!!

The background light at round about 40% and following menu shows one of the most black content. Here you can test it by you own.

Attachments

• 310190E7-9B2E-405C-8BCD-524805962F80.png
    310190E7-9B2E-405C-8BCD-524805962F80.png
    201.8 KB · Views: 147

Donga120

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2014
UK
Comparing my 11 Pro Max and 12 Pro Max, my 12 Pro max has a strong yellow/blue tint and the black are a dark grey rather than off

reboot doesn’t fix it

Edit: once the brightness goes above 10-15% on the 12 pro max, the two phones become identical again

Edit 1: 12 pro max on the right, 11 pro max on the left

Attachments

• 0A2A125D-2279-4C97-B296-7AC8A7CE7E12.jpeg
    0A2A125D-2279-4C97-B296-7AC8A7CE7E12.jpeg
    256.2 KB · Views: 140
  • 809179D4-B51D-4C23-B28D-9E0B95C34249.jpeg
    809179D4-B51D-4C23-B28D-9E0B95C34249.jpeg
    295.4 KB · Views: 140
  • 45EBFC50-693B-4105-B67A-765926CE0CC3.jpeg
    45EBFC50-693B-4105-B67A-765926CE0CC3.jpeg
    181.5 KB · Views: 154
  • 37C323D1-E627-49CB-97D5-064998DD4D83.jpeg
    37C323D1-E627-49CB-97D5-064998DD4D83.jpeg
    304.3 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.