Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Legendary---

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2015
99.9 percent won’t even notice the issue.
Not true.

A lot of people will pick up on it over time. Im sure many people might assume it’s a YouTube glitch or just a photos app glitch rather than a system wide issue.

And once you pick up on it, you can’t unsee it wherever there is pure black

Reactions: MarioPhone96

Solenoid289

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2020
Japan
I've tested my iPhone 12 Pro and iPhone X in a pitch black room (It's night here).
Left is 12 Pro, right is X.
Both the same brightness (under 15%).

I don't see any difference.
I'm from Japan and Japan's iPhones are different in many ways compared to the rest of the world iPhones, like NFC is FeliCa (Japanese NFC module), camera shutter sound can't turn off etc.

Attachments

• 12p-x.jpg
    12p-x.jpg
    335.4 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:

RHoff1122

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2020
wow now i am seriously confused. How a direct picture of my screen with the two buttons on the iphone shows me this yellow tint picture. the yellow follow a circle! As child we learnd never to play with an magnet nearby electric components. But todays iphones have a round magnetic field to positioning the wireless charging cal it MagSafe!

Attachments

• D8E4B45F-BC0E-4702-B0C5-CAF8FA4B9CB9.jpeg
    D8E4B45F-BC0E-4702-B0C5-CAF8FA4B9CB9.jpeg
    163.7 KB · Views: 149

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
Can it be fixed with a software update?

Anyone contacted apple to see if they know this is happening?

johnbourne

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2020
Can it be fixed with a software update?

Anyone contacted apple to see if they know this is happening?

We don't know yet but I really hope so, its interesting that some Mini and Pro Max owners are also reporting it which may lead more evidence to it being software as they use different panels (and possibly different manufacturers) and would be unlikely to be a bad batch from both suppliers.

I have spoken with Apple and due a call back later today about it but they seem like they want to help but not sure how, I explained I don't want to exchange the unit as people have already done so two or three times and the issue is still present on the replacement units.

It does seem strange that MacRumors haven't done an article on it even though they have covered other issues such as the Mini lock screen touch issue where as this seems to affecting the whole 12 series range.

markol

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2014
I've tested my iPhone 12 Pro and iPhone X in a pitch black room (It's night here).
Left is 12 Pro, right is X.
Both the same brightness (under 15%).

I don't see any difference.
I'm from Japan and Japan's iPhones are different in many ways compared to the rest of the world iPhones, like NFC is FeliCa (Japanese NFC module), camera shutter sound can't turn off etc.

I think all the NFC modules in iPhones have been the same for the past few years (supports Felica in Japan). I used my North American iPhone XS a few years ago in Japan and was able to use the Suica pass on my phone.

johnbourne

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2020
So I had a call back from Apple and they have confirmed they are aware of the issue and are currently investigating as they have had many reports about this issue, at the moment they are unsure if its fixable in software or if they will need to launch an Apple Service Program he was also aware that the Mini and Pro Max also suffered when I mentioned it.

He did assure me they would not dodge the issue and to keep an eye on the usual places for updates or to contact them again if I had any questions.

losimagic

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2020
So I had a call back from Apple and they have confirmed they are aware of the issue and are currently investigating as they have had many reports about this issue, at the moment they are unsure if its fixable in software or if they will need to launch an Apple Service Program he was also aware that the Mini and Pro Max also suffered when I mentioned it.

He did assure me they would not dodge the issue and to keep an eye on the usual places for updates or to contact them again if I had any questions.
That's "great" news. Thanks for letting us know!

Reactions: Jetcat3

Hamsterhjulet

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2015
Denmark

That’s fantastic news. Let’s hope they’ll find the root of the problem.

Reactions: Jetcat3

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
It’s just strange. My 12 pro was every second and was bad. My max rarely does it to the point I won’t bother to get it repaired if it’s hardware.

MarioPhone96

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2017
New York
It’s unlikely this is a software issue. I’m guessing this won’t affect >90% customers. Those who have this issue should ask for a replacement. This is exactly why Apple offers 14 days replacement/refund.
If I knew this was an issue just two weeks ago I would’ve returned my launch day 12 Pro... I’m past the 14 day return window.? I can only hope there’s a proper response to this now.

RusHayer

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2020
Like most issues I don’t notice them until I read the forums lll.
Yeah, me too. I don't want to accept that 1000$ phone have such issues and really hope Apple will fix it soon (thanks johnbourne for information), but in my personal case it is not a big deal. I see grey flickers only on pure black video on YouTube app. If I search, for example, video "dark oled test" and open video (with honey on thumbnail, check yourself), I don't see any flickers, background is pure black. And if I open Black wallpaper fullscreen, my screen has grey color for about second or two (if I open it on iPhone 11 LCD screen for example), but then fades and make screen pure black.

silvio.lnz

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2020
This must be a software problem. When I take a photo with my 12 Pro Max out of the pitch-black room and look at it afterwards with a brightness of 60%, the upper and lower bars are "grey". If I immediately switch to a downloaded pitch black Google image, this image is perfectly pitch black. However, if I turn the brightness up to 100%, and I look at the photo i took, the top and bottom bars are perfectly pitch black.

Reactions: alan7467

alan7467

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2011
This must be a software problem. When I take a photo with my 12 Pro Max out of the pitch-black room and look at it afterwards with a brightness of 60%, the upper and lower bars are "grey". If I immediately switch to a downloaded pitch black Google image, this image is perfectly pitch black. However, if I turn the brightness up to 100%, and I look at the photo i took, the top and bottom bars are perfectly pitch black.
Great insights. Thanks for sharing.

Kuub

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2020
Tested this out on my Pro Max. Full brightness with pitch black image: screen is ‘off’ and is pure black. 50% brightness, phone thinks about it for two seconds, then turns screen off. Anything under 50%, and the screen doesn’t completely go black, ever.

another defect to add to the list of this 1300 phone.

sahara101

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2020
I have the issue on the 12 pro max. It is really annoying. Anything under 100% on a yt video of black test is grey. This, or even much worse a constant flickering. Somethings it stops an remains true black. Most of the time it jumps back and forth like a freaking strobe.

Jetcat3

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2015
My 12 Pro has done this since launch and I was super disappointed about it especially when comparing it to my Xs Max. I started noticing it early on as I use the all black Apple wallpaper for my Lock Screen.

My wife just received her 12 Pro and it’s not nearly as bad as mine. It’s also a little brighter with an all white background. I’m really curious to see what Apple will do here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.