Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gtg465x

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2016
I've tested my iPhone 12 Pro and iPhone X in a pitch black room (It's night here).
Left is 12 Pro, right is X.
Both the same brightness (under 15%).

I don't see any difference.
I'm from Japan and Japan's iPhones are different in many ways compared to the rest of the world iPhones, like NFC is FeliCa (Japanese NFC module), camera shutter sound can't turn off etc.
Try at 50% brightness. Only seems to happen between about 30-70% for me.

Reactions: Jetcat3

jairopena

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2018
I have the same issue on my 12 Pro Max. I hope it’s SW as I see true blacks when I boot up the phone but then it starts to flicker. When watching DV there is no issue so hopefully it change with 14.3.

Braindome

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2016
Noticed this right from day one with my 12 Pro. I run a clock app on my night stand every night. On my XS, the screen was totally back apart from the clock digits. On the 12 Pro, I can see the whole screen lit up dimly :( Brightness is normally around 10% for me in the dark. Made the clock app myself, so I know the background is 100% off.

Solenoid289

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2020
Japan
I think all the NFC modules in iPhones have been the same for the past few years (supports Felica in Japan). I used my North American iPhone XS a few years ago in Japan and was able to use the Suica pass on my phone.

Oh I didn't know that...Thank you for the info.

Try at 50% brightness. Only seems to happen between about 30-70% for me.

I've tested again my iPhone 12 Pro and iPhone X around 40% brightness in a pitch black room.
Yes, you are right. I can see strange green light bleeding and flickering, especially the top of the screen.

It's very hard to see in the photo, so I changed exposure a bit.

12 Pro on the left, X on the right.

Hope iOS 14.3 fix this issue.

Attachments

• 12p-x-edited.jpg
    12p-x-edited.jpg
    369 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:

djoliverm

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2013
Tested this out on my Pro Max. Full brightness with pitch black image: screen is ‘off’ and is pure black. 50% brightness, phone thinks about it for two seconds, then turns screen off. Anything under 50%, and the screen doesn’t completely go black, ever.

another defect to add to the list of this 1300 phone.
I can confirm this is essentially my results on a Pro Max. Just underneath the sun in brightness on control center I get that green hue shift, which then goes away close to zero brightness.

Reactions: silvio.lnz

silvio.lnz

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2020
Tested this out on my Pro Max. Full brightness with pitch black image: screen is ‘off’ and is pure black. 50% brightness, phone thinks about it for two seconds, then turns screen off. Anything under 50%, and the screen doesn’t completely go black, ever.

another defect to add to the list of this 1300 phone.
Just noticed the EXACT same behavior

Reactions: djoliverm

Alfieg

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2011
I believe this affects them all and the variance where some are worse than others is due to variance between OLED panels and how they deal with grey. That can vary from panel to panel quite a bit.

Bit embarrassing that display mate didn’t catch this in their review.

silvio.lnz

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2020
On my 12 Pro Max, i noticed another thing. Only if the brightness is set to 0%, the top portion of the screen has a different tint to it. You can test it in the YouTube app in dark mode, by tapping on the three dots. If I rotate the device, it is still on the top portion (where the notch is).
Anyone having this issue as well?
E6DD47A1-6E02-41ED-A088-5F7F4D73C120.jpeg

Attachments

• ABB972FC-AD65-4355-A462-37F99B4F1900.jpeg
    ABB972FC-AD65-4355-A462-37F99B4F1900.jpeg
    52.1 KB · Views: 93

Hno7

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2020
On my 12 Pro Max, i noticed another thing. Only if the brightness is set to 0%, the top portion of the screen has a different tint to it. You can test it in the YouTube app in dark mode, by tapping on the three dots. If I rotate the device, it is still on the top portion (where the notch is).
Anyone having this issue as well? View attachment 1671208
I can see that on my 12 Pro too.

Stev150

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2013
This is a oled display Panel issue , like for example lcd you get backlight bleed well with oiled you get this green tint. my iPhone 12 mini looked exactly the same as Silvio.inz post . I replaced it and my new iPhone mini has no green tint you can get Worse but it was bothering me , just google oled green tint and see for yourselfs.

I don’t know if what some ppls Issues here are software related or not but oled has uniformity issues especially with dark grey and low brightness,

you can test it on here

Last edited:

ahilliker4

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2020
I have the exact same issue. It also glows green on boot up.

Syre

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2020
Experiencing this issue on my iPhone 12 Pro. Unfortunately I'm starting to be convinced that this is a hardware issue. There's a big YouTube Video demonstrating this problem and it is suspiciously blocked (by Apple or YouTube) from being viewed on iPhone/iPad, but can be viewed on a desktop/Android phone. Not to mention, the entire 12 lineup seems to be impacted (so display manufacturer doesn't matter) and the previous OLED iPhones didn't have this defect.

goonie4life9

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2010
There may be a hardware issue with some devices but I also think there is a software component. I’ve tested this with the Software Update screen in Settings. When I initially go to that screen, the background is grayish but after a few seconds, it turns to the proper black. To me, it looks like the backlight isn’t being properly turned-off in the areas that are black. I made a screen recording of it and when I pause, you can easily see the brighter area and then scroll to when it turns entirely black. To me, this suggests the software is taking a few seconds to turn-off the backlight for the black areas of the screen.

Last edited:

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007

that looks horrible. I’d be bummed out

Stev150

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2013
Experiencing this issue on my iPhone 12 Pro. Unfortunately I'm starting to be convinced that this is a hardware issue. There's a big YouTube Video demonstrating this problem and it is suspiciously blocked (by Apple or YouTube) from being viewed on iPhone/iPad, but can be viewed on a desktop/Android phone. Not to mention, the entire 12 lineup seems to be impacted (so display manufacturer doesn't matter) and the previous OLED iPhones didn't have this defect.
all oled displays can have this issue from every company It’s the limitations of oled , and the previous iPhones did have this as its on my xs. im not saying it’s acceptable but All oled devices can have this issue.

Last edited:

Alfieg

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2011
That’s right. Uniformity variation on grey is normal on OLED. Not an issue as such.

Stev150

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2013
I agree it’s definitely not acceptable but it is common on oled. It’s like panel lottery like with lcd and backlight bleed etc

Warmy254

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2020
My yellow tint wasn’t horrible with True Tone off but when I found out my phone had this issue, I’m returning it and trying again in February.

Hopefully, then the piss screen and flicker issue will be gone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.