Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
<snip>
Apple has done its math and found that a substantial number of customers buy the largest in order to have maximum specs., which they would not do if even the smallest were equal. Hence a reply to this:
I’m not sure what your point is, or what evidence you think you have for it. The 6.1/6.5 Pro are equal in spec. They’re only separated by $100. So which one sells better?

Larger, more feature-rich phones cost more to make, so they sell for more. I’m not sure it’s any more complicated than that.

sofila

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2006
Ramtop Mountains
I’m not sure what your point is, or what evidence you think you have for it. The 6.1/6.5 Pro are equal in spec. They’re only separated by $100. So which one sells better?

Larger, more feature-rich phones cost more to make, so they sell for more. I’m not sure it’s any more complicated than that.
Current models have same specs. Previous not.
Are we talking about current models? or are we making assumptions about the next ones?

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
How would the 6.1 12 be the same size as the 11? The 11 already has bigger bezel than the pro’s because they are lcd. Not only is it supposed to be oled, but it’s supposed to have even thinner bezels than the current pro’s.
Good point! Totally forgot about the thicker bezels on the 11! Now I’m even more curious. My upgrade will have to be the 6.1 Pro because the 5.4 is too small for me. I absolutely love the 5.8 size, I wish that was here to stay.
I’ve been curious about this as well and have been hoping that we would see a smaller footprint on the new 6.1” devices.

Another possibility is that Apple might take advantage of the smaller bezels and bump the display to 6.2”. Maybe?
Their dummy 6.1" looks barely bigger than the iPhone X, I think the iPhone 11 is bigger than the dummy unit, just MacRumors hasn't bothered to measure the 12 and realize it is smaller than the 11/XR

So yeah... the 6.1" 12 is slightly smaller than the 6.1" 11.

iphone_11_and_12.jpg

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
If Apple can pack most of 6S internals into an SE, then they can also pack the smaller 5.4" with top specs, right?
Not that the comparison you’re making is relevant, but the SE only had the SoC and the rear camera of the 6S. Everything else was not top spec, it was older, from the 6 or 5s or even older.

Reactions: MartyvH

NotoriousNeo

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2020
United States
So yeah... the 6.1" 12 is slightly smaller than the 6.1" 11.

View attachment 931991

Thank you so much for posting this. It absolutely calmed my fears that I'd have to go with an iPhone XR/11-sized device this year in order to get the best of what Apple has to offer in a smaller size. I'm currently in an 11 Pro and the XR/11 are simply too unwieldy for me to use comfortably, especially when using them one-handed. I can't tell you how many times I almost accidentally dropped my XR when I had it for a brief time. I know the iPhone 11 may not look that much bigger than the 6.1-inch iPhone 12, but trust and believe those smaller dimensions really do make all the difference in the world.

Reactions: arn

B4U

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2012
Undisclosed location
Not that the comparison you’re making is relevant, but the SE only had the SoC and the rear camera of the 6S. Everything else was not top spec, it was older, from the 6 or 5s or even older.
That is mostly true.
However, last time I checked, they both have the same amount of RAM.
You are right, SE has the first gen touch ID (vs the 6s which has the 2nd gen) and lacking 3D touch (which Apple had abandoned by now...), the front camera are also different and it is lacking the barometer.
Other than those, it is very close to top spec.
On the other hand, the 5.4" does not even have the top spec camera...
I thought technology is supposed to move forward, right?
So fast forward a few years, we can't get the top spec camera in a smaller package anymore when Apple was able to do that with the beloved real SE?

Last edited:

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
That is mostly true.
However, last time I checked, they both have the same amount of RAM.
You are right, SE has the first gen touch ID (vs the 6s which has the 2nd gen) and lacking 3D touch (which Apple had abandoned by now...), the front camera are also different and it is lacking the barometer.
Other than those, it is very close to top spec.
On the other hand, the 5.4" does not even have the top spec camera...
I thought technology is supposed to move forward, right?
So fast forward a few years, we can't get the top spec camera in a smaller package anymore when Apple was able to do that with the beloved real SE?

I doubt Apple can fit three cameras into the 5.4” model. That shouldn’t be too surprising.

Reactions: reallynotnick

mrklaw

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2008
5.4” looks like it might just be small enough for my wife to accept it. She is on a the original SE at the moment and hates big phones. This year the SE should still hang on with iOS 14 but I would expect she will need to update next year

aleni

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2006
5.4” looks like it might just be small enough for my wife to accept it. She is on a the original SE at the moment and hates big phones. This year the SE should still hang on with iOS 14 but I would expect she will need to update next year

As much as I wanted to stay with the original SE, the battery life after iOS 13 went like crap. I’m sure it’s even become crappier after iOS 14. I always need to recharge it midday and this is after changing to a new battery which doesn’t help.

So, for the time being, I’m using a second hand iPhone X that I bought cheaply from my friend and I can’t wait for the 5.4”!

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
is it wider than the X? that's the only thing I didn't like about my x was the screen width was too narrow for me. I like my max but I wouldn't mind that smaller 12 if the width was the same as the max models. Looks like a really nice phone for overall size if it isn't narrow.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
A huge clue that iPhones should have a cursor is that there is an accessibility feature with one.

Yeah, one that you have to specifically enable and which just recently appeared. Reachability, on the other hand, is enabled by default and appeared as soon as screens got too tall to reach the top of one-handed. Apples and oranges.
[automerge]1594403948[/automerge]
I am to the point where I dont even need the Voice Call over Mobile function.

Just give me an iPod touch with 4G/5G Data usage.
... until the day you need to call 911

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
Yeah, one that you have to specifically enable and which just recently appeared. Reachability, on the other hand, is enabled by default and appeared as soon as screens got too tall to reach the top of one-handed. Apples and oranges.
And still, basically nobody uses it and very few even know it exists. The vast majority will maybe activate it occasionally by accident but never understand what just happened. It's the same with the magnifier (accessible via triple-click), it might be on by default but still, most people don't even know it is there.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
And still, basically nobody uses it and very few even know it exists. The vast majority will maybe activate it occasionally by accident but never understand what just happened. It's the same with the magnifier (accessible via triple-click), it might be on by default but still, most people don't even know it is there.

You can't possibly know whether "nobody uses it". And even if zero people ever used it (doubtful) that's entirely beside the point. Reachability is there, it's on by default, and it's Apple's workaround for a screen whose top can't be reached without "help".

Last edited:

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
You can't possibly know whether "nobody uses it". And even if zero people ever used it (doubtful) that's entirely beside the point. Reachability is there, it's on by default, and it's Apple's workaround for a screen whose top can't be reached without "help".

God I hate reachability. Far too many accidental activations led me to turn it off.

Reactions: ignatius345

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
You can't possibly know whether "nobody uses it".
Every single person I have heard talking about this feature has said that (a) they don't use it and (b) nobody they know uses it.

And even if zero people ever used it (doubtful) that's entirely beside the point. Reachability is there, it's on by default, and it's Apple's workaround for a screen whose top can't be reached without "help".
So Apple was thinking: "We know our screens are too large for one-handed use, thus we must add a feature that helps with that even though we know that basically no one will use it, but at least out conscience will be clear because we gave people an out"?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.