Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ProfessionalFan

macrumors 603
Sep 29, 2016
Wow, no football/soccer for the initial release? The 2022 World Cup is starting in November. What a missed opportunity for the #1 most popular sport in the world.
Just because it isn't there today doesn't mean it won't be there then.

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
my gripe is that I wish it would work with your teams you follow. you currently have to in and follow each game individually and only after they start.
I agree. If the Apple TV+ app is intelligent enough alert me & show my favorite teams in action, it should begin following each supported fans automatically.

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
Dynamic Island is great for keeping an eye on current activities, no doubt about it. I can see myself using it for turn by turn navigation, public transportation, timers and so on.

But live score updates just seem silly to me.

I know this might be a very unpopular opinion, but sport games are not a background activity... Either your actively watching the game (and in that case, you already know the score) or you are not watching the game (and in that case live score updates are kind of meaningless).
Yep another useless feature for me. Maybe one day right apple?

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I would love to see Apple use Dynamic Island on AOD. Imagine DI showing you a notification icon. Then let you interact with it as well. You could touch DI and it would expand to show the nofication icon and let you touch it to open the app from the notification like iMessage or mail or social media. I would love to see DI used this way on AOD.
I sent a tweet to CARROT Weather saying that DI could be used to display severe weather alerts & warnings, which would be really helpful.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Dynamic Island is great for keeping an eye on current activities, no doubt about it. I can see myself using it for turn by turn navigation, public transportation, timers and so on.

But live score updates just seem silly to me.

I know this might be a very unpopular opinion, but sport games are not a background activity... Either your actively watching the game (and in that case, you already know the score) or you are not watching the game (and in that case live score updates are kind of meaningless).
I’m not a sports guy, but I notice that most “blue collar” workplaces I walk in to typically have a game on the radio, be it baseball, football, etc.

Sports are absolutely a passive background activity for tens of millions in the US alone.

hr10

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2009
Once this feature is available for most sports apps it's gonna make the Dynamic Island way more useful.
Yes that’s why I changed my mind about returning my 14P, testing public beta and it works most of the time so far , just hoping nba will be included as they showed on keynote

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
I still don't get the hype over Dynamic Island. Isn't it just a glorified status bar?? With some sort of partition and the centre one containing the redesigned "notch".
Yes, but done in an engaging and fun way. Not all changes have to be major to engage customers.

God of Biscuits

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2007
FYI Audible app uses Dynamic Island. prob since its built in and just audio

It's really nice seeing the voice waves so I know its playing because sometimes I put my air pods pro in the pocket and it triggers play for Audible which is a pain.
Pretty sure audio apps are getting at least some functionality “for free” because of how Apple typically structures develope APIs.

Reactions: macsplusmacs

ProfessionalFan

macrumors 603
Sep 29, 2016
I still don't get the hype over Dynamic Island. Isn't it just a glorified status bar?? With some sort of partition and the centre one containing the redesigned "notch".
Its making the most of the situation they are in, they can't get around the FaceID tech and camera taking up real estate so they came up with a great solution.

Supercyborgninja

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2022
Hmmm cannot get this going for Liverpool/PL. I'm on 16.1. When I look for Liverpool matches it says content unavailable. As far as searching it up..nada.

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
Hockey.

Attachments

• CEE1D28D-7293-42A0-8D47-7FF2631E9327.jpeg
    CEE1D28D-7293-42A0-8D47-7FF2631E9327.jpeg
    190.4 KB · Views: 59

AJ Muni

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2005
Miami
my gripe is that I wish it would work with your teams you follow. you currently have to in and follow each game individually and only after they start.
Yeah, I confirmed this a couple of days ago on the 16.1 beta....sucks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.