Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Earlier this month, Apple announced that iOS 16.1 will enable a new Live Activities feature that allows iPhone users to stay on top of things that are happening in real time, such as a sports game or a food delivery order, right from the Lock Screen. On the iPhone 14 Pro and Pro Max, Live Activities also integrate with the Dynamic Island.

iPhone-14-Pro-Sports-Scores-Dynamic-Island.jpeg
Premier League match in Dynamic Island via Paul Bradford

During a Premier League match, for example, the Dynamic Island shows a live-updating scoreboard with the number of goals scored by each club. When long pressed, the Dynamic Island expands to show the time elapsed and play-by-play action.

Live-Activities-Sports-Dynamic-Island-iPhone-14-Pro.jpg
Premier League match in Dynamic Island via Jorge González Medina

When an iPhone 14 Pro is locked, the score is shown in a widget on the Lock Screen instead. On the iPhone 14 and iPhone 14 Plus, and on all other iPhone models without the Dynamic Island, Live Activities are limited to the Lock Screen entirely.

iOS-16-Live-Activities-Sports-MLB.jpeg
MLB game on Lock Screen

To test the feature with an iPhone on the iOS 16.1 beta, open the TV app and tap on the "Follow" button for a supported game. At launch, Apple says the feature is available for MLB games for users in the U.S., Canada, Australia, U.K., Brazil, Mexico, Japan, and South Korea, in addition to NBA and Premier League games for users in the U.S. and Canada only. The feature will likely be expanded to other sports leagues in the future.

Apple says iOS 16.1 will be released later this year. In addition to adding support for Live Activities in third-party apps, the update will include a new Clean Energy Charging option for U.S. users, add support for Matter accessories in the Home app, make Apple Fitness+ workouts available without an Apple Watch, and more.

Article Link: iPhone 14 Pro Features Live Sports Scores in Dynamic Island on iOS 16.1

Last edited:

macsplusmacs

macrumors 68030
Nov 23, 2014
FYI Audible app uses Dynamic Island. prob since its built in and just audio

It's really nice seeing the voice waves so I know its playing because sometimes I put my air pods pro in the pocket and it triggers play for Audible which is a pain.

Joe Rossignol

Senior Reporter
Staff member
May 12, 2012
Canada
FYI Audible app uses Dynamic Island. prob since its built in and just audio

It's really nice seeing the voice waves so I know its playing because sometimes I put my air pods pro in the pocket and it triggers play for Audible which is a pain.
Yeah any app that uses Apple's Now Playing API is already supported.

Corsig

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
So who provides the sports updates? Do you need to download a specific app for it to be updated for you?

CopyChief

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2007
This is super cool. I was thinking about this last night as I looked at the design of the Live Activities on the 16.1 beta, and they seem consistent with the elements they're using in Dynamic Island (How do these words we're using even make sense? These names are ridiculous). Glad to have it confirmed here.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Apple says the feature is available for MLB games for users in the U.S., Canada, Australia, U.K., Brazil, Mexico, Japan, and South Korea, in addition to NBA and Premier League games for users in the U.S. and Canada only.
Annoying that this feature for the English Premier League is not available in... England. Wonder if it's a rights issue? I'm sure a third party app will support it soon - one of the really useful-looking implementations of live information in the Dynamic Island.

Joe Rossignol

Senior Reporter
Staff member
May 12, 2012
Canada
So who provides the sports updates? Do you need to download a specific app for it to be updated for you?
It is through Apple's built-in TV app (you have to hit the Follow button on each game every time.)

Any sports league could update their own app with support for this feature with their own aesthetic once iOS 16.1 is released.

GlambOne

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2020
my gripe is that I wish it would work with your teams you follow. you currently have to in and follow each game individually and only after they start.

That... sucks.

I'll hold out until other apps start making use of it. Official Premier League, Sofa Score etc.

Reactions: DaneLA

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I would love to see Apple use Dynamic Island on AOD. Imagine DI showing you a notification icon. Then let you interact with it as well. You could touch DI and it would expand to show the nofication icon and let you touch it to open the app from the notification like iMessage or mail or social media. I would love to see DI used this way on AOD.

Sl4ck3r

macrumors member
Dec 23, 2014
Does Apple just have a hard time getting other industries onboard with their new offerings. Homekit, Car key, door key, state ID, sports, all seem to come out half baked with very limited buyin. NFL is one of the largest sports in the US and its the beginning of hte NFL season. MLB is nearly over as were just about to enter playoffs.

ChromeCloud

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2009
Italy
Dynamic Island is great for keeping an eye on current activities, no doubt about it. I can see myself using it for turn by turn navigation, public transportation, timers and so on.

But live score updates just seem silly to me.

I know this might be a very unpopular opinion, but sport games are not a background activity... Either you're actively watching the game (and in that case, you already know the score) or you are not watching the game (and in that case live score updates are kind of meaningless).

Last edited:

AkdM

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2014
Wow, no football/soccer for the initial release? The 2022 World Cup is starting in November. What a missed opportunity for the #1 most popular sport in the world.

Reactions: xSushi

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Does Apple just have a hard time getting other industries onboard with their new offerings. Homekit, Car key, door key, state ID, sports, all seem to come out half baked with very limited buyin. NFL is one of the largest sports in the US and its the beginning of hte NFL season. MLB is nearly over as were just about to enter playoffs.
Car Key is coming standard on a whole slew of new cars.

HomeKit is about to support the Matter standard that all the heavy hitters (Apple, Google, Amazon, etc) have agreed upon.

State ID…is reliant on state buy in (our DMV just got its first major statewide update since the 80’s two years ago…but is one of the first to support State ID).

The thing here is these are all different industries. You can’t just scoop them all into one bucket and ask why things aren’t moving forward. They all are, but at the pace that the industry/laws/etc allow.

Last edited:

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
Really looking to test this feature out this weekend when the Premier League is back. Also, looking forward to when NFL and CFB is included. It's going to be a very useful feature for me.

maktaba

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2020
I find this distracting. A drop down notification that a team has scored is enough. Why would I want to keep looking at the score while using the phone?

Reactions: vikingjunior
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.