Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrSegundus

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2021
He isn’t the Messiah when it comes to phones it’s just his opinion which is subjective he gave the Google pixel eight best phone of the year that’s nonsense. Why do people think that what he says is the blueprint to tech?
The Pixel 8 is an amazing phone, dollar for dollar. It’s got much better specs than the iPhone 15 and costs $100 less.

applepotato666

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2016
It really depends on what you value. I find iPhones have always produced very consistent images. Any Android devices I've had whether by Samsung, Google, Huawei and what not with their very serious words and specs, I've always ended up being disappointed. Even the most expensive Android cameras look "crunchy" to me, for lack of better words. iPhone photos have this glow to them, especially when you take outdoor photos. Skin tone always looks good. I can guess whether a photo from outside was taken on an iPhone just by looking at the tone of the sky in comparison to the rest of the image and the way clouds are rendered. No other device has come close to this consistency for me. I much prefer the look of an iPhone 7 photo to a Galaxy S23. That's why I don't like the whole "Our phone can take photos of the moon!" thing. I don't care when I'm photographing my quickly moving young child and your phone is incapable of taking a photo that isn't blurry when iPhones have no issue with that.
Sucks that the reliability itself of taking photos that iPhone was also unparalleled in is gone now. Too frequently I'll open the camera app and tapping the shutter will do absolutely nothing. Or taking photos will be super choppy and I'll miss the moment. Been an issue from the iPhone 13 onwards for me and still have these issues on the 15, 2 years later.

toobravetosave

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2021
Doesn’t matter if it’s typical. I personally felt burned by three Android phones in a row. Never felt that way with four iPhones. I deal with Android nearly every day. I don’t choose to personally deal with it when I don’t have to.

Well I guess it’s not blind but you sure do hate. I have plenty of complaints about both platforms but I can’t say it rises to the level of emotional intensity you seem to have. They’re just tools

Apple_Gabe

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2022
I think MKBHD is a bit overrated. I think he tries a little too hard to come off as intelligent which makes his videos confusing to watch at times. But he does have some nice things to say on tech and his reviews on apple products are overall pretty decent. Personally, I'd rather watch Brian Tong's reviews and assessments, he's an ex-CNET tech reviewer.

Regarding the camera, I used the latest Galaxy earlier this year and thought the pictures, both the front-facing and back-facing, looked just a little bit better than on my iPhone 14 Pro at the time. But I don't care much for taking photos on my phone, if I cared enough about photos I would just get an actual camera. The iPhone 15 Pro's camera system is suffice for my needs.

Cranslove

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2023
Who?

Since when are people creating so called awards and give them to companies?.

My just now completely made up and totally irrelevant award goes to Company .. Congrats to them and I hope like it.

• Disagree
Reactions: Sorinut

AgeOfSpiracles

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2020
You can still be an Apple shill and give another company phone of the year, if that was the best phone in 2023. This doesn't change anything. MKB still drools over everything Apple.
That's patently false. He like plenty of Apple stuff, sure. But he also complains about Apple stuff too.

He drools over plenty of Android phones too. Can he be an Apple AND an Android shill simultaneously? lol

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
My honest take: This is cool. Good for iPhone. But I stopped caring about this dude's opinion so long ago. He's a professional troll who's good at video editing.

Edit: I should clarify what I mean-- He is someone in a long list of "YouTubers" who thinks he knows things about things and is good at talking about them as if he's an expert. He has no idea what goes on at Apple or how any of this stuff is created. He's a professional armchair quarterback. The most useless kind of quarterback there is.
So, what exactly does he talk about that he doesn't know?

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
Don’t start making excuses for why low refresh rate screens are actually a good thing.

As with any design, tradeoffs are made; in this case battery life for a slower refresh rate. Since may users will not notice the difference between 60 and 120 HZ, it seems to be a reasonable design decision.

"Best smartphone camera" sounds like "best British food" or "best beach in Greenland". Smartphone cameras got better over time, but they seriously lack behind real cameras. They apply some software "magic", but you can do the same with images from real cameras. Taking a photo with a smartphone camera is like running a marathon with Birkenstock sandals. Possible, but not recommendable.

The best camera is the one you have in your hand.

What counts is do the photos satisfy the photographer? If the answer is yes, then it is a real camera; and at any rate the camera, real or not, is only as good as the eye behind the lens.

No. Low Power Mode runs at 30FPS

There you go, bringing facts into an internet argument.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
My honest take: This is cool. Good for iPhone. But I stopped caring about this dude's opinion so long ago. He's a professional troll who's good at video editing.

Edit: I should clarify what I mean-- He is someone in a long list of "YouTubers" who thinks he knows things about things and is good at talking about them as if he's an expert. He has no idea what goes on at Apple or how any of this stuff is created. He's a professional armchair quarterback. The most useless kind of quarterback there is.

Swimming in dangerous waters there, to be reviewing and classifying someone as an anonymous internet forum commenter. 😂🤣

He's one of the few reviewers that I enjoy watching.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Yeah but…you could just turn that down on a 120Hz display and have the best of both worlds. It needs to be a separate toggle but you can do it right now with Low Power mode.

Don’t start making excuses for why low refresh rate screens are actually a good thing.

I agree that it was funny to see the lower (not low, but lower) refresh rate used as a plus. 🤣

But it's a realistic judgement. How much does 60Hz reduce the experience?

When a phone comes out with a 240Hz screen, will 120Hz suddenly be "too slow"? #perspective

Reactions: CarAnalogy

Sorinut

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2015
Swimming in dangerous waters there, to be reviewing and classifying someone as an anonymous internet forum commenter. 😂🤣

He's one of the few reviewers that I enjoy watching.

Same. I don't follow creators, or any channels on YouTube...I barely use YouTube (hour a month, maybe?), but I will occasionally watch him. He doesn't get all excited and ridiculous like a lot of internet people.

Reactions: KurtWilde

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Such blind hate. iOS is also just a platform to supply Apple with advertising data on you (yes they do this) and funnel you into subscription and in app purchases.

How on earth is a pixel more expensive than an iPhone long term lmao

Oversimplified. Apple may do internal advertising with its existing user base, but they are not profiting off such data as Google does across the wider industry. Apple does not sell your data.

Reactions: jaehaerys48

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
I agree that it was funny to see the lower (not low, but lower) refresh rate used as a plus. 🤣

Maybe, but the tradeoff seems reasonable for better battery life, which probably is more important for most users.

But it's a realistic judgement. How much does 60Hz reduce the experience?

Not the point. We demand and deserve 120HZ and great battery life.

When a phone comes out with a 240Hz screen, will 120Hz suddenly be "too slow"? #perspective

Of course, until 480 is standard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.