Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Given how I'm skipping the 14th gen, I'm very excited.
The persicope lens is cool, but I'm more interested in a better sensor.
Between the new cameras and the prores, a better sensor is the only thing missing to make the iPhone a usable professional camera.

I dream of a changeable aperture ring...
The Panasonic CM1 had a 1" sensor and physical lens ring seven years ago... they didn't sell too many.

mattkowalski

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2010
Getting less excited about incremental camera upgrades. Why not put that focus into something innovative instead?

Cancelled
Jun 28, 2017
Many people can't afford ‘the best product period’.

Thus, Apple has iPhone options for the millions of people who are only able to pay less.

Hardly insane, that's very smart. Happy customers, happy Apple, unhappy competitors.
They had that before, it’s called older models.

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
There is a very likely possibility I might skip this upgrade and wait for the iPhone 16 Pro Max. The reason is, the iPhone 15 might introduce a new design and might have some kinks to work out. Also, if the iPhone X is still getting iOS updates, why not?

newton4000

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2015
I think the Xiaomi 12S with the biggest sensor and the Leica branding and lens is only available in China. I could easily be wrong, as I haven't looked into it that much. If the 15 has a version that comes with Sony imaging, that could be great.
Those phones look amazing for photography. Unfortunately, Apple is not likely to lean in like this on one feature.

Reactions: Jumpthesnark

contacos

macrumors 601
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
It still won't beat the 1 inch sensors some of the phones already have (on the technical side, otherwise those phones have ****** image processing). Also they need to add a special coating to reduce lens flare (like those mentioned phones) because they've been clearly lacking in that area.

Yes those green dots on the picture ruin everything

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
90% sure this will not be on the base iPhone 15, why even bother? Do away with the pro and just make the best iPhone. Apple today reminds me of a car dealership.
That assumes that everyone who would have bought a regular iPhone is willing to pay more to get a Pro. A significant number will probably opt to not buy either then. that drops Apple’s sales volume and overall income. Not a good strategy.

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
It still won't beat the 1 inch sensors some of the phones already have (on the technical side, otherwise those phones have ****** image processing). Also they need to add a special coating to reduce lens flare (like those mentioned phones) because they've been clearly lacking in that area.
While I’m impressed with what Apple and their SONY sensors have accomplished so far, a one inch sensor would be nice to have someday and a logical next step. Maybe the iPhone 16 Pro will get a one inch sensor along with a periscope lens that will most likely be exclusive to the 6.7” iPhone 15 Ultra.

FlyingTexan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2015
I’ve always been a huge fan of Sony and hope they keep finding success. Their Vaio laptops were great, the PS series is amazing. They’re one of those companies that the world has really benefited from. Instead of just making products they continue to innovate and their technologies drive everyone else to be better. I hope they keep innovating. Always happy to see their success.

FlyingTexan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2015
That 1” sensor is a joke. Even in a point and shoot camera it’s a tight fit. Technology has come a long ways. Sensor shifting with AI to handle things is a massive leap in capability. Go with lower megapixels so each pixel is larger and handles light/detail better. Instead of one pic the sensor shifts taking several at once then the AI merges everything. We no longer need to go with the “no replacement for displacement” theory.

Jumpthesnark

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2022
California
Those phones look amazing for photography. Unfortunately, Apple is not likely to lean in like this on one feature.
Problem is, they don't look amazing as phones. I've already got great cameras. What I want is a phone with usable software, and a lens that I'm not always worried is going to get a scratch across it, because the phone is completely ridiculous.

xioami-12s-scaled.jpg

meridiusuk

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2010
I moved from the iPhone X to the 14 pro and I think the camera module is a joke. If apple Brought out a phone without a camera or lesser quality with a small Lens I would have it as the bump is just to big. It will be the last iPhone I will buy until they can sort that joke out what ever new things they add it will not make me buy one until that’s has been reduced.

Bawstun

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
Sony TVs (and products in general) are great, however even they use LG panels for their OLED TVs.

That is true, the base displays are from LG, but Sony tweaks them all with their own processing and I think whatever they do ends up being richer and sharper and just overall a bit better than Samsung or anyone else. I guess it’s all subjective, I used to help sell TV’s for Best Buy and what looked great to my eyes (the Sony’s), sometimes people would choose a Vizio or a Samsung and to me they looked much worse. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Kottu

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2014
I am a bit tired of unreal feel of nightshots in my 12PM. Pictures are beautiful but look entirely different than in reality. So, happy to hear that a better low light sensor is on it's way. 97C1716D-6800-4E31-AF9B-373B63C9913A.jpeg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.