Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2007
Washington D.C. Area
Some of Rose's info has been shaky in the past, but it's also been pretty accurate as well, like his leak about iTunes 8.0 and Genius. Regardless, it the rumor is true, that sounds like an fairly sound implementation of copy and paste. Let's just hope that a new Springboard and c & p aren't the only new features.

kornyboy

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2004
Knoxville, TN (USA)
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

I think that this is a really good way to implement copy/paste if it proves to be true. Let's just hope that Apple keeps it in there and doesn't pull it at the last minute before the release like they have done with some things.

Andrew K.

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2008
Who cares????? copy and paste? Whats the big deal unless the iPhone is your only means of communicating I guess.

who the freak is Kevin Rose?:confused:

Who is KEVIN ROSE?! R u kidding me? He is the CEO and founder of digg.com and co-founded revision 3 which is now apart of Cnet.

ebrunn

macrumors member
May 13, 2008
This is not true, he more often than not has been wrong, this should say, he has sometimes been accurate. He throws a lot of darts he is supposed to hit some...

Yeah, the only thing he was right about was that nano that came out that someone had send him picture of.

mrkgoo

macrumors 65816
Aug 18, 2005
Maybe they got rid of the double tap safari for strictly pinch/expand?

Double tapping to select a word. It will be interesting to see how that affects zooming in Safari.

One of the things people don't think about when considering text selection. Safari sues a lot of gestures to that could otherwise be used. I imagine the text selection is like a double-tap-hold. Much like holding in a text field to bring up the magnifier. Double-tap-hold until the magnifier comes up. Then drag to select.

myca

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2005
No worries, there's still plenty of whining to go around. The whiners will always whine, lol

I've got a feeling that I'll be whining, my current phone contract runs out in about 3 months so I'll get an iPhone (my trusty 2G iPod is also on it's last legs god rest it's soul), I've got a horrible feeling that an update will be coming just after I plan on getting one.

If that happens I'm gonna join the 'They've released new hardware, now mine is obsolete' crowd :p

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
Maybe they got rid of the double tap safari for strictly pinch/expand?

God, I hope not. I rely on double tap for Safari and Maps.

Pinch/expand are only good for photos. Everything else should be optimized levels of zoom, or zoom to fit what I double tapped on to the screen.

Pinching and expanding in Maps should be disabled, Google maps are raster images designed for specific levels of zoom, it looks like garbage if they aren't being displayed dot for dot.

derryquinn

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2007
I've got a feeling that I'll be whining, my current phone contract runs out in about 3 months so I'll get an iPhone (my trusty 2G iPod is also on it's last legs god rest it's soul), I've got a horrible feeling that an update will be coming just after I plan on getting one.

If that happens I'm gonna join the 'They've released new hardware, now mine is obsolete' crowd :p

Hold off till may/june time, chances are that history will repeat itself.

Just use a crappy phone you have lying around in the meantime :)

pohl

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2005
Lincoln, Nebraska
Wow, I've often wondered what it would be like if people were as whiny in a real group as they often are in online forums. That Diggnation video (both the audience and the douchebag on the left) gives me a clear depiction.

neverbuyapc

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2009
California
It's true

Yup. He's correct. I just recieved a tip for my friend at apple saying that Kevin was right and copy and paste will really come out in 3.0 :D She doesn't usually tip me off but she said that everyone already knows it but I just wanted to let you guys know that Kevin is right on track.

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
My workflow demands copy and paste...

Double tapping to select a word. It will be interesting to see how that affects zooming in Safari.

This was my immediate concern. Perhaps two fingertips performing a double-tap? If you look at the Shuffle 3G Apple isn't afraid to tap and click to get results.

Melan

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2007
"KEVIN! KEVIIIN!! COPY AND PASTE! KEVIIIN! KEVIN! PUSH, KEVIN!!!!"

Never seen people get excited about the idea of "copy and paste" before.

sflocal

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

I'm actually kind of disappointed... It's kind of fun listening to everyone whine about copy and paste. What will people complain about now?

Fear not Grasshopper. There are plenty of people (whiners) on this forum living in their parent's basement that will always continue to whine about something Apple.;)

MistaBungle

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2005
I hope I wasn't misunderstood. I don't want them to take out, nor do I think they did, double tap. It was merely me trying to explain how it could work without actually thinking. I agree with the doubletaphold method. Can't wait to try it!

Melan

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2007
I can see the double word tap only working in stuff like Safari if you are as zoomed in as you can be using double-tap (would make sense, you want to be close up to choose words anyway)
If not, I imagine copy/paste would only work on editable documents in other apps (eg in notes, evernote, mail, etc)

fastbite

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2007
London
Sorry, I must be an idiot, but I still don't get it: if you "double tap" it's going to Zoom In -- double tap and hold? Regardless, bring it on. I, like many others, need it.

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
Wow, I've often wondered what it would be like if people were as whiny in a real group as they often are in online forums. That Diggnation video (both the audience and the douchebag on the left) gives me a clear depiction.

Having met them both, I would say the douchebag is on the right... ;)

1Zach1

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2008
Northern Va
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

I'm actually kind of disappointed... It's kind of fun listening to everyone whine about copy and paste. What will people complain about now?

No MMS, no file access, no video, no auto focus, no Flash, no..etc etc... Don't worry, whining will continue probably increase now actually.

ebrunn

macrumors member
May 13, 2008
In addition Rose said that MMS and video recording would not be present in this release nor the ability to run background applications.

Finally Rose made a mention the Palm Pre and how Apple will match all the features of the handset.

Well to do that, it would need MMS, and background apps.:rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.