Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

otep1760

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2007
can you add your own sound for the SMS tones, or is it just the same 6 or 7?

PhightinPhils26

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 12, 2007
Philly
I took a key to the back of the phone and really rubbed into it (a few swipes back and forth) twice and there are no visible scratches.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
Thank you for answering my instant messaging question. This is a big decider for me in getting a plan with texts or not as I do most of my communications through message services.

Thanks for taking the time to do this for all of us.

Biggest deicision now...white,black...8gb or 16...hmmmmmmmmmmmmm. :D

brandonzar

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2008
Would changing the sound of email be something that 3rd party apps could conquer? :confused:

3rd parties are not allowed outside their sandbox, and cant change system settings.

This might change later this year when apple releases the push system for developers. In the WWDC 2008 Keynote the guy said that developers would be able to push badges, custom alert sounds, and custom textual alerts. (If you want to see it yourself it is at 57:25)

PhightinPhils26

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 12, 2007
Philly
Thank you for answering my instant messaging question. This is a big decider for me in getting a plan with texts or not as I do most of my communications through message services.

Thanks for taking the time to do this for all of us.

Biggest deicision now...white,black...8gb or 16...hmmmmmmmmmmmmm. :D

No problem.. remember white only comes in 16GB models!

alFR

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2006
One complaint some had about the original phone as the volume of the ringtones - any improvement/change in those? I know you said already that the audio is clearer, but is the speaker any louder at max?

PhightinPhils26

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 12, 2007
Philly
One complaint some had about the original phone as the volume of the ringtones - any improvement/change in those? I know you said already that the audio is clearer, but is the speaker any louder at max?

Volume is about the same.

number9

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2004
USA
I took a key to the back of the phone and really rubbed into it (a few swipes back and forth) twice and there are no visible scratches.

REALLY good to hear. I can deal with finger prints, but scratches are another story. I guess I'll be good while I wait for the Bodyguardz clear film I ordered to ship.

michaelsaxon

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2006
I was hoping for a louder phone and not just clearer. In most circumstances, my speakerphone is useless.

Also, needs Flash without a doubt.

brandonzar

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2008
This may seem a bit odd, but how well does it fit into your pocket? I ask because the old one was really square and stuck out like a sore thumb even when I would wear loose fit pants.

GotMac?

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2008
Not sure if you exactly answered this but with GPS off do you get triangular pin pointing on the maps?

PhightinPhils26

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 12, 2007
Philly

Sorry, not Out of the Box

This may seem a bit odd, but how well does it fit into your pocket? I ask because the old one was really square and stuck out like a sore thumb even when I would wear loose fit pants.

Eh, bout the same... it's the same size phone.

Not sure if you exactly answered this but with GPS off do you get triangular pin pointing on the maps?

Yes works just as before with GPS off.

EDIT: WOW... i'm a 6502!!!

Donz0r

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2006
I was hoping for a louder phone and not just clearer. In most circumstances, my speakerphone is useless.

When did you get your iPhone?

My girlfriend's speakerphone was completely useless, she bought it in october of last year. Then she exchanged it for a refurb a few weeks ago and the speaker was WAY Better- fine volume but not very clear, maybe apple fixed something along the way.

Maybe you guys with the crap speaker quality have an older iPhone, I know it sounds crazy but there was a huge difference between her original one and the refurb she got from the genius bar.

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
Do you retrieve directions the same way? Input destination, click Direction to Here then GPS comes in? Or you still have to press Route.

HyQuality

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2008
NYC
Can you search the contacts using things other than the person's name (ie. phone number or email address)?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.