Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

solius

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2010
Decatur AL
ok well i figured id post my experience with gong-wei seller. I ordered an orange oem bumper and wasn't really happy with it as far as the fit, it actually caused my zagg screen shield to lift on both the back and front effectively ruining them :( so I contacted the seller on returning the item but since it would probably cost me more to ship the item back to him he just gave me back half of the 9.90 i paid which made the case a pretty good deal. overall im real happy probably gonna sell my case if anyone is interested let me know. its the orange.

ref26

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2008
My Gong Wei bumper bubbling up my Phantomskinz matte back is definitely becoming a problem. I've been just pushing it back under with my fingernail, but it's really getting tiresome. I'm trying to figure out what to do. I don't want to leave the back unprotected, I know that much. I'm debating taking it off and getting a hard plastic type protector as those seem less prone to bubbling (my SGP Oleo on the front is still perfect), but I really like the matte look and feel. I'm also considering trying to remove it and trim it a bit, but it'll probably get too stretched out to reuse. I can maybe send it in for a warranty replacement and trim that before I apply it, would that work? Any other ideas? Thanks!

SophiaLee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
After I got my pink one from Gong Wie I ordered a black one for my DH. The black one came yesterday! It was still in the official looking Apple packaging, but the buttons are much shinier than mine.

The edges on my pink one are getting dirty, I tried to clean it, but it didn't do any good. When he has more up for sale I think I'll just get another black one.

ETA: And I can confirm that it offers drop protection. My phone slipped out of my hand yesterday, bounced, then slid across the floor at work. No damage to phone.

sgar

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2008
Right guys, I really want to order one of these bumpers, but before I do, can any of you tell me if these will work togheter with the zagg´s invisible shield (front and back). I understand from solius´s post that the ones ordered from gong-wei don´t work well, so, anybody else can share his/her experience?
Many thanks in advance

princesultan

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2010
just got the black one from gong wei. i'm very happy with it and i don't see myself paying 3 times as much for the official one. i wouldn't even know the difference.

calvy

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2007
Ok, so I've purchased a white knock off from ebay seller yumelectronics, and orange one from gong wei, and official orange one from apple, and official black one from apple. I've uploaded pictures to my mobile me so you can all see, but here is my preference: Apple > yumelectronics > Gong Wei

I'm pretty dissapointed in the oragne one I got from Gong Wei. In the pictures, it is the lighter colored orange of the two. it's just too light for me, I don't like the color compared to the apple orange one. And like the other ebay bumpers, the buttons are not the same brush metal as the Apple branded bumpers.

the white one I got from yumelectronics is great, although the buttons are the shiny silver like the other knock offs. Their price was a bit more, but they ship from florida so I got my order in just a few days, compared to about 10 days for gong wei.

Overall, I've been sticking with the orange apple bumper, and swapping for the white and the black ones every once in a while.

http://gallery.me.com/camueller#100044

disturbed1

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2010
Still haven't recieved buymper

I filed a claim against this seller Gong Wei. I placed my order on September 15 and it's been a month and I haven't received anything!

Dhelsdon

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2010
Canadian Eh!
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

It's coming from hong kong, that's not unusual to be waiting about a month. I ordered from him and it took about a week before the shipping notification, then "7 to 10" days.

sgar

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2008
Any of you with invisible shield can tell me if these are fine or do they peel the film off?
Thanks

iphone1105

macrumors 68020
Oct 8, 2009
I filed a claim against this seller Gong Wei. I placed my order on September 15 and it's been a month and I haven't received anything!

Not unusual at all man, mail gets weird coming from overseas. Sometimes you have to be a little patient!(i know you have been, but long shipping should've been expected)

Dhelsdon

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2010
Canadian Eh!
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

iphone1105 said:

Not unusual at all man, mail gets weird coming from overseas. Sometimes you have to be a little patient!(i know you have been, but long shipping should've been expected)

When I order from hong kong I try to do bulk orders so I don't have to wait over and over

iphone1105

macrumors 68020
Oct 8, 2009
The white one I got from digital mall definitely has some "yellowing" on the TPU/rubber portion of the case. But it's all good, I like the blue one I got from them best.!

SophiaLee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
Well mine fell apart. The rubber separated from the plastic strip and the plastic started crumbling and cracking. :(

SophiaLee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
yah. mine has a small crack as well. but other than that it's fine so far. had it for a few weeks.

Mine was fine and within two days completely fell apart. My husbands is still fine, but mine was a few weeks older than his so we'll see.

Pez555

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2010
i havent used mine at all lol, well just to see if it fits. The lesson here is if you want it to last, get the real thing!

ref26

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2008
Wow, I'm surprised you guys are having issues, my pink one from Gong Wei is still is great shape after almost a month. The silicone part has gotten a bit discolored/dark, but structurally it's still perfect.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.